Tip us?

kungfudavie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Unhappy HTC One x screen shattered

Hi Guys,

First post post and its a sad one.

Word of warning to some of you guys with the one x.
I had some major screen issues when i first got my device (preordered) and i spoke to htc about the issues i was having flickering, green lines, touch issues and all the heat that the phone was generating.

I was in the cinema the other night and was texting during the copious and irrelevant adverts that accompany any film and i turned to speak to my friend and when i pressed the unlock button i discovered my screen had shattered.

I dont know wether this was a one off manufacturing error or wether it was related to the issues i was having before but a word of warning as i dont want it happening to someone else as it has taken me a while to get a new phone issued. Mine will be going to HTC for investigation no doubt. Thankfully my retailer was reasonable in the end, and when they found out i had already reported a screen fault to HTC the imediately offered a swap out.

Its not a shatter from any particular point, it just seemed to shatter from the middle out.

Before anyone comments saying you must have pressed too hard, i use my fingers for pointing and touching and dont yell "by the power of greyskull" before using my phone.

So if you are still having banding, or non responsive screen issues of anykind be careful. I hope this is a one off, but if it hapens to someone else at least you know your not the only one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120518-00022.jpg
Views:	3030
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	1068543  
The Following User Says Thank You to kungfudavie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

n1kon
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Pressure from the pocket maybe. Ive worked in the mobile industry for 8 years and have never known a screen to pop so to speak. Very strange. Could be an assembly issue with the glass slightly over sized but would still need a knock to set it off.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n1kon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mox123
Old
Thanks Meter 175
maybe he dropped it and wants to believe he didn't

craigiefaehk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs down another cracked screen

My screen cracked when I performed a rather bad magic trick by putting my phone in my front pocket and when I took it out the screen was cracked. To say I was disappointed would be a bit of a understatement.
On contacting HTC they now say that as I unlocked the boot loader not only do I have to pay for a new screen ( I would argue any phone that cant be put in a pocket of your trousers with out cracking is not fit for purpose ) but worse as I had unlocked the bootloader that I would have to pay for a new mother board as well.

I would understand having to pay for a new screen but having to pay for a new motherboard and screen does not sit well with me. If they had said that I would have pay for the screen and done nothing else on the phone and that I would have had no warranty I would have been ok with that

kungfudavie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
mox: thankyou for implying im deluded, i will take your kind words onboard

I didnt actually put my phone back in my pocket, i have never dropped it and had a full case on it from the word go. I cant see how or why this would happen and would hope its a one off an the build quality seems good and after the updates the phone works really well.

Im hoping this was a one in a million situation that wont occur for anyone else, but i thought just in case, HTC couldnt deny it had happened before.

BearGryllsOwnsU
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Was the phone extremely hot or anything? Seems strange it would just shatter sitting in your pocket?

kungfudavie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGryllsOwnsU View Post
Was the phone extremely hot or anything? Seems strange it would just shatter sitting in your pocket?
It wasnt in my pocket, i sent a text, talked to my friend and when i looked back the screen was cracked, i hadnt put it down, put it in m pocket or moved it in the slightest.

vincepg13
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGryllsOwnsU View Post
That's the thing tho, it was in his hand not even his pocket!! It's like spontaneous human combustion but on a phone screen

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

surfer1000
Old
Thanks Meter 54
So I'm not the only one then who takes my air pistol into cinemas to shoot at the phones that annoy the hell out of me when they should be TURNED OFF!

I've tried doing the same when im flying to people who never listen when the pilot tells you to refrain from using electronic devices, I just can't get it through customs!
The Following User Says Thank You to surfer1000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jonathanyong
Old
Thanks Meter 84
It's much more likely that you applied too much pressure on the screen by accidentally pressing it against the arm rest or something else nearby while you were distracted.

Ockham's razor, the glass isn't under any load stress so it's impossible for it to suddenly fracture. And if it did, you would have heard a loud cracking noise. Pressure must have been applied. Either that or you dropped it and now you're trolling. Sorry, but I really find it difficult to believe in spontaneous shattering of a phone's screen...

The Following User Says Thank You to jonathanyong For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]