Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

It's official - no ICS for X2 from Motorola and Verizon

OP iBolski

18th May 2012, 07:47 PM   |  #1  
iBolski's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 509
 
1,546 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Well, it's official now per the Motorola Android Software Upgrade page: the X2 will STAY on the GB kernel (v2.3). No ICS for us.

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

This, coupled with Verizon's attempts to shoo me away what with killing the "New Every Two" program, charging a $30 fee for "free" upgrades, and now taking away the grandfathered unlimited data plan and you can bet once ALL the contracts are up on my Verizon plan, I'm switching to Sprint.

Verizon and Moto can flounder for all I care. I'm going either HTC or Nexus. Luckily, the Nexus is on Sprint so I can get an unlocked bootloader which will be nice.
Last edited by iBolski; 18th May 2012 at 10:15 PM.
18th May 2012, 10:17 PM   |  #2  
RyanThaDude's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 42
 
234 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
More
Honestly, who saw this coming? Typical Motorola. Yet more reasons not to buy Motorola. F'em!

If Sprint would cover our area like VZW does I'd switch in a heartbeat. Living in the sticks sucks.
18th May 2012, 10:23 PM   |  #3  
jsgraphicart's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,539
 
5,184 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
More
"Droid X2 - Will remain on Android 2.3" That is until Dragonzkiller gets done with it. lol

Thats why I feel nothing good will ever come from carriers and manufacturers. They give us the device and service and it is the GREAT DEVELOPERS that give us the good stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsgraphicart For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th May 2012, 10:30 PM   |  #4  
ztotherad's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 531
 
2,412 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart

"Droid X2 - Will remain on Android 2.3" That is until Dragonzkiller gets done with it. lol

Thats why I feel nothing good will ever come from carriers and manufacturers. They give us the device and service and it is the GREAT DEVELOPERS that give us the good stuff.

+1bajillion million [:
18th May 2012, 10:35 PM   |  #5  
DigitalMD's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 613
 
2,831 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBolski

Well, it's official now per the Motorola Android Software Upgrade page: the X2 will STAY on the GB kernel (v2.3). No ICS for us.

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c


Verizon and Moto can flounder for all I care. I'm going either HTC or Nexus. Luckily, the Nexus is on Sprint so I can get an unlocked bootloader which will be nice.

Stay away from HTC. I have had two of their devices. never got an update beyond a minor maintenance. Locked bootloaders and all the baggage from Sense tagging along in the kernels and framework usually keeps them from getting useful updates or custom work even from 3rd party. ANd they are bleeding red ink and going down in quality as well as customer support. Notice their flagship phones no longer even have SD card slots.
Last edited by DigitalMD; 18th May 2012 at 10:37 PM.
18th May 2012, 11:21 PM   |  #6  
Jayydude_SGP's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Gates County, NC
Thanks Meter: 35
 
385 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMD

Stay away from HTC. I have had two of their devices. never got an update beyond a minor maintenance. Locked bootloaders and all the baggage from Sense tagging along in the kernels and framework usually keeps them from getting useful updates or custom work even from 3rd party. ANd they are bleeding red ink and going down in quality as well as customer support. Notice their flagship phones no longer even have SD card slots.

I'm guessing you've never heard of an HTC ONE X, or the HTC EVO 4G LTE??? Beats Audio, 4G, huge screens, amazing cameras, AND the SD card slots are under the battery genius -_-

Sent from my YP-G70 using XDA Premium App
18th May 2012, 11:58 PM   |  #7  
Omega360's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 29
 
130 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Not surprised at all, I knew this phone was doomed when it took so long to get it up to 2.3.4.
Oh well, now we wait for CM9 (and I wait for another upgrade) :P
19th May 2012, 12:18 AM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Flag Indiana
Thanks Meter: 2
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart

"Droid X2 - Will remain on Android 2.3" That is until Dragonzkiller gets done with it. lol

Thats why I feel nothing good will ever come from carriers and manufacturers. They give us the device and service and it is the GREAT DEVELOPERS that give us the good stuff.

As I said before, it's sad that a single hobbyist can do what an entire development team cannot. They're doing this solely so that people upgrade to their new phones.

The Droid X2 isn't even a year old. This is completely ridiculous. I am never buying another Motorola phone again.
19th May 2012, 01:58 AM   |  #9  
Stuckinabox's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
149 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
It'd be nice if they'd be honest and just put "Lazy/can't handle the bloatware."

Also, Q3 for everything except the newest phones...disgraceful.
19th May 2012, 04:34 AM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Flag Indiana
Thanks Meter: 2
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckinabox

It'd be nice if they'd be honest and just put "Lazy/can't handle the bloatware."

Also, Q3 for everything except the newest phones...disgraceful.

Yep. As said, I'm just pissed that the X2 isn't getting ICS even though it's ONLY ELEVEN MONTHS OLD.

Any recommendations for a good phone company that unlocks their bootloaders and supports their phones?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes