Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,721 Members 52,593 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Microsoft wins US import ban on motorola android devices

Tip us?

findthedr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
Default Microsoft wins US import ban on motorola android devices

The U.S. International Trade Commission today ordered an import ban on Motorola Mobility Android products, agreeing with Microsoft that the devices infringe a Microsoft patent on 'generating meeting requests' from a mobile device. The import ban stems from a December ruling that the Motorola Atrix, Droid, and Xoom (among 18 total devices) infringed the patent, which Microsoft says is related to Exchange ActiveSync technology.

Today, the ITC said in a 'final determination of violation' (PDF) that 'the appropriate form of relief in this investigation is a limited exclusion order prohibiting the unlicensed entry for consumption of mobile devices, associated software and components thereof covered by ... United States Patent No. 6,370,566 and that are manufactured abroad by or on behalf of, or imported by or on behalf of, Motorola.' Motorola (which is being acquired by Google) was the last major Android device maker not to pay off Microsoft in a patent licensing deal. Microsoft has already responded to the decision, saying it hopes Motorola will now reconsider."

xopher.hunter
Old
Thanks Meter 389
Ha

Sent from my Photon 4G via Tapatalk 2

bitbang3r
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Roflmao. It's too bad Microsoft doesn't have a patent on locked bootloaders. :D

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2 under CM9.
There's no place like ~/
The Following User Says Thank You to bitbang3r For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dark Reality
Old
Thanks Meter 190
They'll pay.

Or, hey, how about this? Since this is a corporate thing that somebody like me will never use, why not only put it on a few business-class phones, and push the cost onto the consumer? Or, take it out of the phone, and sell it as an app? That way, those who want it can pay Motorola for the software and Microsoft for being a patent troll.

Also interesting to note that Microsoft now, as well as Apple, has sent a message to Android users that they are unable to openly compete (since they aren't giving away the software, they can't sell the same hardware as cheaply). That tells me that WP7 (as well as iOS) isn't a sustainable platform as long as Android is around. And I wouldn't bet against Google. I'd think it less wise to bet against Apple and Microsoft, but Google's got them in a panic.
HTC One M8 / Verizon / CleanROM

FC809
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitbang3r View Post
Roflmao. It's too bad Microsoft doesn't have a patent on locked bootloaders. :D

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2 under CM9.
Thanks for the laugh haha.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA

FernBch
Old
Thanks Meter 243
Kind of reminds me of the days when RedHat 5.1 was makin it big. At that time MS had like 93% of the OS market. I think they tried something similar against Linux. I remember by the time it was all over with Linux had like 6 or 7% of the OS market.

Some said 7%, what l's the big deal? Think about it. All those millions of PC's that were lost to Linux. It's about money and control and Gates was losing some. Same thing with Android phones. I think the "infringement" on activesync is bull. It's just another attempt by a greedy company not wanting to loose money.

My MoPho's in the kitchen sink!!
So much to see, so much to do.

Current Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 On VZW

Pervious devices:
Motorola Photon 4G | HTC Ozone on VZW | Moto Droid X on VZW (Rooted flashed, etc) | Motorola Q

redhatter
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Seem Apple and Microsoft have team up to try and crush Android

Sent from my MB855 using XDA

findthedr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 50
for what it is worth, googles purchase of Motorola was approved by chineese regulators with the requirement that Android stay open for at least 5yrs. That was the last remaining hurdle for purchase.

Hopefully google will improve motorola as well as the photon.

chabun
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FernBch View Post
It's about money and control and Gates was losing some. Same
Well, can you tell me someone that has spent more money for the society than Gates (Roughly half of his fortune is in his foundation) and is still quite modest and down-to-earth?
(Just sayin that it's not fair to bash Gates)

Anyway, I hate those legal battles, too. I'd say stop crying and start developing innovative stuff to be competitive!!

iONEx
Old
Thanks Meter 626
Technology can't advance if ****ty companies like MS and Appple continue to claim every little thingy as theirs.

Android on the other hand continues to grow in popularity, because of its openness.
And it's getting better every day because users&devs can improve every aspect of it.
If you have iOS though, you're left at the mercy of apple. Nothing you can do 'bout that

I'd choose open source over proprietary bs any time