Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,999 Members 38,936 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I drilled a hole in my Nook!

Tip us?
 
Renate NST
Old
#1  
Renate NST's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 792
Posts: 1,967
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston
Talking I drilled a hole in my Nook!

I took the back off the Nook and disconnected the battery.
I removed the tape on the battery on three sides
I drilled a hole.
I chamfered the inside edges
I glued a round 1/4-20 T nut in the hole using JB Weld epoxy.
I used a bolt and an old plastic lid with a hole in it to pull it tight for drying.
I reassembled the Nook.
The next morning I removed the bolt.

Now I have a Nook that mounts on those little bendy camera tripods.
I can also just stick in a 1/4-20 2.5" bolt as a leg.
I'm going to get an accessory arm so that I can put it on my mic stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hole.jpg
Views:	2763
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1070411  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Renate NST For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
VitaZora
Old
#2  
VitaZora's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 49
Posts: 208
Join Date: Feb 2011
Nice!
 
Googie2149
Old
#3  
Googie2149's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 54
Posts: 288
Join Date: Jan 2012
Best topic name ever xD
Android Devices - Nook Color running Stock 1.4.2 and CM7 from 16GB SD; Rooted Nook Simple Touch with broken screen, but still runs; Currently Stock Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 with cracked glass. I wonder how long until my NC dies...
 
brendan10211
Old
#4  
brendan10211's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 200
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cary
For lyrics or podcasting?
 
speedman2202
Old
#5  
speedman2202's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 33
Posts: 279
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cairo
wooow


but will u add mic on this whole???

r u in hardware cracking staff


outstanding
 
Renate NST
Old
#6  
Renate NST's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 792
Posts: 1,967
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston
Besides reading books, I use my Nook for display of my guitar transcriptions with lyrics and for recording 24 bit audio.

I don't use a builtin mic, I use a Shure SM58 (standard stage mic) and a Lexicon Alpha USB interface.
Getting it to work is all part of this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1457971

I haven't really ported my guitar transcription display program over to Android yet as it's actually quite complicated.
I format songs as PNGs on my desktop and then have a simple program on the Nook that can scroll them.
I have a database front-end for looking up songs that's actually more convenient than anything that I have on my desktop.
The Following User Says Thank You to Renate NST For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
speedman2202
Old
#7  
speedman2202's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 33
Posts: 279
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cairo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate NST View Post
Besides reading books, I use my Nook for display of my guitar transcriptions with lyrics and for recording 24 bit audio.

I don't use a builtin mic, I use a Shure SM58 (standard stage mic) and a Lexicon Alpha USB interface.
Getting it to work is all part of this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1457971

I haven't really ported my guitar transcription display program over to Android yet as it's actually quite complicated.
I format songs as PNGs on my desktop and then have a simple program on the Nook that can scroll them.
I have a database front-end for looking up songs that's actually more convenient than anything that I have on my desktop.

so .... ummmm....... what the point of drilled a hole in ur nook? ...
 
Renate NST
Old
#8  
Renate NST's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 792
Posts: 1,967
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedman2202 View Post
so .... ummmm....... what the point of drilled a hole in ur nook? ...
The point is so that I can use a camera mini-tripod to hold the Nook so that I can read it without holding it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	feet.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1073700  
The Following User Says Thank You to Renate NST For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
xboxexpert
Old
#9  
xboxexpert's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1139
Posts: 955
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Nanuet NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate NST View Post
The point is so that I can use a camera mini-tripod to hold the Nook so that I can read it without holding it.
Check mine out

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1602093
 
Renate NST
Old
#10  
Renate NST's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 792
Posts: 1,967
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boston
Here's a few photos of a desk mic stand that I am using with a home-built adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stand1.jpg
Views:	1579
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1100964   Click image for larger version

Name:	stand2.jpg
Views:	1940
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1100965  

Tags
mount
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes