Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,347 Members 50,747 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wifi issues since ics update

Tip us?
 
xcrazydx
Old
#11  
xcrazydx's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2195
Posts: 6,305
Join Date: Feb 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by garydv2002 View Post
Are you able to run security on your home wifi or do you just have it open? My wifi works better and faster than ever with not one disconnect as long as there is no security key to logon to the wifi. Its crazy I've never had this problem with any other device. And none of our other phones which include captivate infuse HTC status or our friends iPhone or laptops does it only my phone and only since the Android 4.0 upgrade. I flashed back to my nanadroid gingerbread backup earlier and it connected with no problems with the security on but soon as I flash back to ics is drops every few minutes until I turn the security off. So I tried the gingerbread modem with the ics and still the same drops every few minutes only with the security on. So I don't know I'm just leaving my security off and maybe when the official update comes out it will have a fix...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
Im not actually at home, I am running on hotel wifi which is not secure. So I can't test that for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to xcrazydx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
pc103
Old
#12  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 53
Posts: 257
Join Date: Jul 2007
My SR has had near flawless wifi in multiple networks / security types, on 2.3.5 /6 GB and on UCLE2. The 1 exception is my home router, where it would make the secure connection, but the broadband DNS server seems to block its data connection. This affected Cappy also, resolved both with static settings. The only wifi adapters I've seen needing open settings either needed newer drivers, or were damaged ones needing replacement. One workaround for your 5 at home is a MAC filtering list.
The Following User Says Thank You to pc103 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
phillybits
Old
#13  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 38
Posts: 267
Join Date: Jun 2009
Default As for wifi issues,

the only serious wifi issues I had was when using Facebook. It simply could not hold a connection. Browser, any other apps all seemed to work fine.
 
garydv2002
Old
#14  
garydv2002's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 576
Posts: 1,635
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc103 View Post
My SR has had near flawless wifi in multiple networks / security types, on 2.3.5 /6 GB and on UCLE2. The 1 exception is my home router, where it would make the secure connection, but the broadband DNS server seems to block its data connection. This affected Cappy also, resolved both with static settings. The only wifi adapters I've seen needing open settings either needed newer drivers, or were damaged ones needing replacement. One workaround for your 5 at home is a MAC filtering list.
My wifi router is a belkin and I just recently purchased it a couple of months ago so do you think it could be bad? Also when I go to my mother in laws she has a AT&T 2 wire wireless router with security on it and my phone does it there to. None of our other phones does this and also since I posted yesterday a friend come over with a galaxy s2 not skyrocket and it connected as well with no problems. Our router is set to dynamic connection. We have DSL which is a PPOE but when I set the router to PPOE and put in the user name and password it just connecting and sticks there so I changed back to dynamic...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
 
pc103
Old
#15  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 53
Posts: 257
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by garydv2002 View Post
My wifi router is a belkin and I just recently purchased it a couple of months ago so do you think it could be bad? Also when I go to my mother in laws she has a AT&T 2 wire wireless router with security on it and my phone does it there to. None of our other phones does this and also since I posted yesterday a friend come over with a galaxy s2 not skyrocket and it connected as well with no problems. Our router is set to dynamic connection. We have DSL which is a PPOE but when I set the router to PPOE and put in the user name and password it just connecting and sticks there so I changed back to dynamic...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
Given the other phones work well it seems like a fault in your phone, not the routers. One troubleshoot/workaround is to enter appropriate static IP settings as detailed in posts 1 & 7 here. That will either stabilize it or show you need to reimage the phone with full wipes to test further. You can screenshot most of the settings you need using the Ipconfig app by Mankind, during a good connection. Just take care to choose a static address outside of the router's assignable DHCP range, to avoid conflicts.
The Following User Says Thank You to pc103 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Aero089
Old
#16  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 9
Join Date: Apr 2010
The same issue exists on the recently rolled out official ICS update for the Galaxy Note, I'm having this problem with stock radio and no root.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aero089 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
garydv2002
Old
#17  
garydv2002's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 576
Posts: 1,635
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero089 View Post
The same issue exists on the recently rolled out official ICS update for the Galaxy Note, I'm having this problem with stock radio and no root.
As long as I'm connected to an open wifi connection it works just fine but if I secure it it constantly disconnects. I'm starting to wonder if its a Samsung problem now because my wife's Samsung infuse on gingerbread is doing the same thing. And its not just my home wifi it does it at friends house with secure wifi and at mother in laws to with secure connection but never on any open connection. Um my daughters two HTC phones does not have this problem so I'm starting to think maybe its a Samsung problem. I don't think its an android problem cause both the gingerbread phone and my ics phone is doing the same thing. If it is android its something in gingerbread that carried over to ics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
 
norman68
Old
#18  
norman68's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 54
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrison , Tennessee
Angry Had same problem

I had the same issue , went from 2.3.6 Gingerbread to the ICS UCLE2 leak and my wi-fi would turn on and off , so I just started from scratch went back to 2.3.4 via Odin , updated to 2.3.6 and flashed back to the UCLE2 leak via Odin and now it's working fine , I kinda figured it was a glitch in the software somewhere , from where I had changed rom's so many time's , and apparently it was , hope this was helpful.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes