[ROM][Neo/V] SOS ROM v1.4 (Based on Official Neo ICS 4.0.4)
SOS ROM v1.4 (Based on Official Neo ICS 4.0.4)
The final SOS message:
Initially, I had observed that most of the stock-based ICS ROMs included meaningless tweaks and ended up breaking something without providing any actual benefit by unnecessarily modifying some of the system files. At that time, the custom ICS ROMs didn't provide a significantly better experience and yet some of the functionalities were lost.
I had developed this ROM chiefly for myself with the aim of enjoying a better stock ICS experience and I am glad to have been able to share it with you. I think the target was achieved with each and every release and v1.4 was my last effort, built from scratch. Thereafter, I deleted all the development files as I did not expect Sony to release a further update or at least didn't expect stock ICS to get any better. Thus, there will be no v1.5 based on a Sony ICS release post build 431.
Personally, I have found JB to be a revelation and no amount of tweaks can bring ICS to the performance of JB. Thus, I have moved on to JB ROMs even though it has meant sacrificing HDMI and Sony specific features like Bravia and xLoud. Having said that, SOS remains a good stock alternative, so I hope the ones opting for it enjoy it.
All your thanks did make my day, time and again, so perhaps I will be able to do something worthy again in the future. See you till then.
SOS stands for Simply Optimised Stock.
The ROM aims at deriving the maximum out of the stock ROM using various boot-up and runtime tweaks. In short, it is what the stock ROM should always have been.
Note that this ROM has nothing to do with the vendor partition containing quite a bit of bloatware in the official Neo 4.0.4 release posted in the general section. All useful files from the vendor partition have been included in the system partition, so the onus is on you to ensure that the vendor partition is not flashed. For this, refer the instructions below before flashing.
What's changed in v1.4?
- Rebuilt from scratch
- Experimental 'Under the hood' changes for a better balance between performance and battery life
- Included Dialler Lag Fix (Credits: mpiekp)
- Included LED Notification Fix (Credits: arcatarc)
*Note: Missed call notifications do not work with this fix by default but Light Flow works fine, so you can customize the LED as per your liking
- Included latest version of Volume Button, Power Menu and LockScreen Mod (Credits: 7OH)
*On-screen navigation buttons are enabled by default and can be disabled using the included Full Screen toggle app. Also the included 7 Parts App can be used to customize this mod. Reboot is required for the changes to take effect.
- Included Walkman App with Beats - Update 4 (Credits: ThilinaC)
- Included Face Unlock which was absent in the earlier releases
- Included select alarms, ringtones and notifications from CM9 and MIUI4
- Included MIUI Permission Manager
- Updated all the system apps to the latest version (as on 22nd July)
- Removed Adobe Flash Player as system app, install from Google Play Store if required
- Based on Official Neo 4.0.4 (MT15_4.1.B.0.431_Global.ftf)
- AOSP Style Status Bar - Battery, Notification Toggles
- Customizable Power Menu and LockScreen
- Lots of bloatware removed
- Tweaks covering:
- WiFi, 3G
- Battery Life
- Scrolling Performance and more
- Supercharged launcher (services.jar)
- AOSP Keyboard and other Holo themed changes
- Free from branding of any kind, everything is as-is in the stock ROM
SOS ROM v1.4
- If you have already flashed the official ICS 4.0.4 release, then I recommend that you flash it again by removing the vendor.sin partition from the ftf or selecting the "Exclude uncategorized" option in FlashTool.
- Optional: Flash the userdata partition from Neo V (or the 380 to 420MB userdata patch) to get 420MB of space in the data partition
- Use an ICS kernel with recovery to mount and copy SOSv1.4.zip in case you have not copied it beforehand. Flash it and reboot the system.
(193 MB) (MD5: 120E70079BA50A7BA1A124A3B44BA933)
1. Removed Apps Restoration
This contains most of the apps I have removed, including bloatware. Delete the apps that you don't want before flashing.
2. Neo V Patch (Thanks to wielku)
*V1.3 patch should work fine with latest SOS ROM
3. Stock Sony Home
Alliance kernel by Night-Elf
SOS ROM v1.3
SOS ROM v1.2
- Supercharger script would either override or conflict with some of the tweaks, hence it is not recommended.
- Reboot may be required if keyboard is not available at the Setup Wizard.
for SystemUI and Framework Mods
for V6 Supercharger
and related info
for some of the AOSP theming elements