Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,353 Members 40,418 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Voice Dial apk.. Works on rooted phones!

Tip us?

Psyclism
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Google Voice Dial apk.. Works on rooted phones!

One of the major disappointments I had when I first got this phone was discovering that the OS doesn't come with a voice dialer. So I started trying the various voice dial apps on the market, and none worked well. After much searching, I found a ICS compatible version of the standard voice dial application. So I'm going to attach it here for those of you that want to have this functionality.

I installed it via the standard app installer, then I went into titanium backup and converted it into a system app. I'm sure there's a more direct method, but this worked for me.

Hope this works for everyone, but so far it's worked perfectly for me!
Attached Files
File Type: apk VoiceDialer.apk - [Click for QR Code] (116.7 KB, 2227 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Psyclism For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

slamming_sammy1
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyclism View Post
One of the major disappointments I had when I first got this phone was discovering that the OS doesn't come with a voice dialer. So I started trying the various voice dial apps on the market, and none worked well. After much searching, I found a ICS compatible version of the standard voice dial application. So I'm going to attach it here for those of you that want to have this functionality.

I installed it via the standard app installer, then I went into titanium backup and converted it into a system app. I'm sure there's a more direct method, but this worked for me.

you are a lifesaver. i was looking all over for this, as I'm running a custom rom and it didn't include this as well. and you know how the google one requires a data connection and I don't have a data plan.
so thanks a bunch!! and it works great.
btw, what does making it a system app do?

Psyclism
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
The voice dialer didn't work for me initially, but did start working after I converted it into a system app. That's @ll the explanation I can give you.

slamming_sammy1
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
The voice dialer didn't work for me initially, but did start working after I converted it into a system app. That's @ll the explanation I can give you.
yeah you're right, it doesn't work when I actually want to dial (gives message "unfortunately, voice dialer has stopped" - it brings up a list of names ok though. can you explain how you converted it to a system app? I tried but couldn't figure it out. thanks!

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamming_sammy1 View Post
yeah you're right, it doesn't work when I actually want to dial (gives message "unfortunately, voice dialer has stopped" - it brings up a list of names ok though. can you explain how you converted it to a system app? I tried but couldn't figure it out. thanks!
ah nevermind, i'm using the free version and you need the paid version to convert.

slamming_sammy1
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamming_sammy1 View Post

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

ah nevermind, i'm using the free version and you need the paid version to convert.
i was able to convert it to a system app using apps2Rom from the market. and it works well now. thanks!!

Jason Syn
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Worked like a charm! Thanks for the instructions.

Sent from the future using the Tardis
>HTC One for Tmous

>HTC One S
>HTC Sensation 4G
>Nexus One (CM7)
>T-Mobile MyTouch3G (Retired)
>T-Mobile G1 (Retired)

xperia619
Old
(Last edited by xperia619; 6th March 2013 at 06:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1

sezzme
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:

thank you sir, just what i have been searching for in vain...until now

androidbothell
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default !

I never found the voice dialer to work well if you have a lisp or an accent. luckily google voice will dial/text/email/gps/map and search for you and it adapts to your voice overtime( as long as that has been checked in the setting).

The Following User Says Thank You to androidbothell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]