Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,035 Members 41,727 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

PIT file method to revive your phone from a MMC_CAP_ERASE brick

Tip us?

FARSHOOD
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Hi hg42 i have the same problem and used your patched pit file but no success would you recomend any other pit ,the pit list is too long to test.

hg42
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 542

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by FARSHOOD View Post
Hi hg42 i have the same problem and used your patched pit file but no success would you recomend any other pit ,the pit list is too long to test.
Are you sure, it doesn't work for you?
Odin gets stuck somewhere (no movement of the bar in Odin and progress on your phone) and you waited at least 5 minutes to be sure?

The *-patched.pit files are the ones with the most chances.
If they really don't work, then you may also have bad blocks in your UMS partition.

I currently don't have a workaround for this.

However it would be possible to calculate a PIT to move the start of the three partitions somewhere inside of the former UMS partition if it is damaged at it's start.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hg42 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alexdumitru
Old
Thanks Meter 16
You should trying flashing a stock ROM along with it. I don't know why, but it doesn't always work for the first time. Try again and maybe with another ROM. I made a guide of repairing your device using hg4's PIT files: http://www.android.gs/easily-fix-bri...xy-note-n7000/
The Following User Says Thank You to alexdumitru For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dark11b
Old
Thanks Meter 0
tried the new pit files and was able to recover about 1GB

hg42
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 542

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel919 View Post
Hi hg42 , Is there any fix for bad blocks ? like we have defragmenting tool for windows , so any such thing in android so that i can recover back the bad blocks from the memory ? Can my phone ever have full 12 Gb as new one ?
I was told a soft repair (JTAG on the flash chip or so) would require about 12 hours, so exchanging the motherboard is cheaper (which costs about 280EUR they say).

You could write a bad blocks file and feed it to mke2fs when formatting the partition. But then you can no more use standard procedures.

FARSHOOD
Old
Thanks Meter 10
any difference between pit files i mean that is it any relation between various pit files and amount of capacity we can achieve.

hg42
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 542

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by FARSHOOD View Post
any difference between pit files i mean that is it any relation between various pit files and amount of capacity we can achieve.
sorry, I don't completely understand what you are asking for...

But let try to answer anyway...

As I wrote in my first post:

"The number after "regain" describes how much kBytes are regained by this scheme compared against the original workaround."

My "standard" workaround leaves the complete former /system and /data partitions unused, because they can be bricked anywhere, so you loose about 3GB.
So, if you select the PIT with 1024000 in it's name, you loose 1GB less than that, 3GB - 1GB = 2GB.

We can do this, because in most cases the brick seems to "prefer" the beginning of the /data partition, so the end may be undamaged.

Note: there may be damages of other partitions, too.
So better check *all* partitions in adb with an appropriate file system check command (parted, e2fsck, fsck.vfat etc.).
The Following User Says Thank You to hg42 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hg42
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 542

DONATE TO ME
is there anyone with a bricked UMS partition (internal SD)?
Where are the bad blocks? at the beginning?

should I also generate PITs with a scheme like this?:

Code:
before: ...-|-FAC*ORYFS-|**ATAFS-|-UMS------------------------------------|...
after:  ...-|     empty space          |-FACTORYFS-|-DATAFS-|-UMS---------------|...
(* = bad blocks)
This scheme would start the three changed partitions at different offsets *inside* the former UMS partition, working around bricked blocks at the start of the UMS partition.

FARSHOOD
Old
(Last edited by FARSHOOD; 31st May 2012 at 06:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 10
Originally Posted by FARSHOOD
sorry, I don't completely understand what you are asking for...is there anyone with a bricked UMS partition (internal SD)?
Where are the bad blocks? at the beginning?

should I also generate PITs with a scheme like this?:

Code:
before: ...-|-FAC*ORYFS-|**ATAFS-|-UMS------------------------------------|...
after: ...-| empty space |-FACTORYFS-|-DATAFS-|-UMS---------------|...
(* = bad blocks)
This scheme would start the three changed partitions at different offsets *inside* the former UMS partition, working around bricked blocks at the start of the UMS partition.

dear sir how are you today any way i did your pit file 1024000 and recovered 8.3 GB FIRST THANKS A LOT BUT MY QUESTION IS IF I TRY ALL OF YOUR PIT FILES IS IT POSSIBLE TO RECOVER ALL OF 16GB SD ,ALSO BY YOUR DEFAULT PIT=Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit I DID NOT GET ANY RESULT IS IT ANY WAY TO RECOVER WHOLE OF THE SD AND WITH REGARD POST 98 WOULD YOU MORE EXPLAIN WHAT DO YOU MEAN AND HOW CAN I REACH TO THAT SCHEME GUIDE ME TO FIND THE SCHEME ADDRESS. BEST REGARDS

ahenderson223
Old
Thanks Meter 9
First let me say thank you for your work has helped me bring my note back to life i was wondering is there any way to reset the binary counter

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium