Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,501 Members 47,849 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Play Movies. When Download Where are they stored

Tip us?

bluh5d
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Google Play Movies. When Download Where are they stored

When you download a google play movie. What directory are they downloaded in. I want to try to put it on sd card after that point for more space when offline. Although I know its probably not possible. That is fine. But does anyone know where its downloaded and what format ? Oh yah I know internal phone memory but where.

THanks,

bluh5d
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Ok does anyone at least know the file extension will be ? If you could tell me that I could find the directory . I know it will be at root level

bluh5d
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Ok I finally figured out where it is stored. So I temp unrooted my phone made purchase and then selected download for offline viewing. So in the directory there is a file

application_4jSa8szMNjs.wvm

so i brought my root back to get into that directory then where i was stumped i figured it would be wmv mp4 3gp or whatever with drm protection but no its wvm I have never heard of wvm. so anyways I moved the wvm file to a different directly. Temporarily unrooted my phone . Then went into the google play movie app and it said that the download was missing. so i know I have the proper file. Now my question is does anyone here know anything about a .wvm file ?
The Following User Says Thank You to bluh5d For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

simo24
Old
(Last edited by simo24; 6th August 2012 at 05:51 PM.) Reason: answered my own question and wanted to share
Thanks Meter 5
So...what directory did you actually find the file in?

(edit)

found it!
/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.videos/files/Movies/<random characters>/<video file>.wvm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simo24 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oibtsnow
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Video plays with?.... plays with?.... MX Player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simo24 View Post
So...what directory did you actually find the file in?

(edit)

found it!
/sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.videos/files/Movies/<random characters>/<video file>.wvm
I use MX Player to watch the WVM files but I am looking into others as well.

Cheers...
The Following User Says Thank You to oibtsnow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wackadroid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oibtsnow View Post
I use MX Player to watch the WVM files but I am looking into others as well.

Cheers...
Im messing around with this right now. Do you have to be rooted to pull out the complete file? Im using AirDroid and I can see the file and im attempting DL now. I am not rooted. When I used android file transfer on my MBA i couldnt see the same file. Im hoping AirDroid allows you to pull the file and play it normally. Ill update after its finished DLing.

rabidrotty
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quick question, what would happen if I pulled a wvm file from my device and put it on some one else's device? Would it work?
Nexus One Stock 2.3.6 (Retired)
Nexus S Stock 4.0.+ (Retired)
Galaxy Nexus Stock 4.3 Rooted (Retired)
Nexus 4 Stock 4.3 Rooted (Daily Driver) Hybrid 33/54 LTE and I'm Loving it
Nexus 7 32Gb WIFE/3G Stock 4.3 Rooted (Not Really Impressed Due to No MHL or Slimport Support)

Eben1277
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks!

Super useful info! Thanks!

burrzoo
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Default Plays on Other devices, easily changed file extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrotty View Post
Quick question, what would happen if I pulled a wvm file from my device and put it on some one else's device? Would it work?
YES! I copied the file from my Galaxy Note 3 (rooted) to my computer, renamed it and changed the file extension from .WVM to .AVI (no conversion needed whatsoever) and it plays using VLC on my Mac. I then loaded the video onto my Husband's iPhone 5 to the VLC folder and it plays perfectly as well!

rabidrotty
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrzoo View Post
YES! I copied the file from my Galaxy Note 3 (rooted) to my computer, renamed it and changed the file extension from .WVM to .AVI (no conversion needed whatsoever) and it plays using VLC on my Mac. I then loaded the video onto my Husband's iPhone 5 to the VLC folder and it plays perfectly as well!
Awesome thank you
Nexus One Stock 2.3.6 (Retired)
Nexus S Stock 4.0.+ (Retired)
Galaxy Nexus Stock 4.3 Rooted (Retired)
Nexus 4 Stock 4.3 Rooted (Daily Driver) Hybrid 33/54 LTE and I'm Loving it
Nexus 7 32Gb WIFE/3G Stock 4.3 Rooted (Not Really Impressed Due to No MHL or Slimport Support)