Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,646 Members 47,612 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

UHS-1 MicroSD

Tip us?

4rjan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default UHS-1 MicroSD

Dear readers,

I'm searching a for a new SD card for my HD2 for a while now and wanted to buy a 32gb class 10 microsd card from samsung.
But then i saw a new cards with new classes called "UHS".
I also saw one of them having the class 6 and the UHS class.

I have a few question regarding this:

1. Does this UHS class work on the HD2?
2. Is it possible for a card to have a normal class and a UHS class?
3. if not, are UHS 1 cards as fast as class 10 cards on devices that do not support UHS?
4. How can UHS 1 be cheaper then class 10?

adata 32gb micrsosd UHS 1: cant post url...

the same card for 22 euro's: cant post url...

samsung 32gb microsd class 10 for 26 euro's: cant post url...

I hope this topic will answer the the questions i think other people have too.

kind regards,

4rjan
The Following User Says Thank You to 4rjan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

retsam88
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Can't answer for sure if they are 100% compatible with HD2 hardware(there is certain hardware requirement for UHS), but in theory any speed after class 8/10 is pointless. Class 10 is close to HD2 hardware bandwith limit. You won't benefit that.

4rjan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Nobody??

hardan
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I was also looking for a 32GB class 10 card and found the UHS-i type, but in the reviews i saw said about compatibility issues in non compatible devices or transfer speeds relatively low in devices without UHS-i compatibility.

To avoid problems i purchased one Samsung Class 10 card, works perfectly in my HD2 and don't have to worry.

4rjan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
That is exactly what i thought, that the uhs-i has a lack of performance on not supported uhs-i devices and that they are not completely backwards compatible to normal class 10 speed.
Do you maybe have a URL of those complaints?

hengsheng120
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardan View Post
I was also looking for a 32GB class 10 card and found the UHS-i type, but in the reviews i saw said about compatibility issues in non compatible devices or transfer speeds relatively low in devices without UHS-i compatibility.

To avoid problems i purchased one Samsung Class 10 card, works perfectly in my HD2 and don't have to worry.
That would be expected for transferring relatively small files and using windows formatting as the random read/write speed (most frequently used) will be slower with a higher class, whereas the sequential read/write speed will increase. This may beneficial for users with WP7 but if you use it anywhere else it will seem much slower.

Sent from my T9193 using xda
Current Phone:
HTC First

Others:
SGH-I9100G

HTC HD2 TMOUS
BlackLK 1.5.0.4-build-130412@kotokas
AOKP M5 ICS se+Dorimanx v6.9 HWA
cLK Dual Boot: Hyperdroid 6.0.1 SuperRAM

History: HD2 EU- Artemis WM6.5/AmericanAndroid SD> Typhoon CM7(MAGLDR)> Nexus HD2> Frankenstein Droid Lite 1.2~3(CLK)> CYMLXGO DHD> Typhoon CM7> Dorimanx 2.8~3.1> Exchanged | TMOUK - Dorimanx 3.1.2> Pdaimatejam/AmericanAndroid SD>MyMIUIv10+Dorimanx v6.3

4rjan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
But do UHS class 1 cards run ass class 10 cards when they are used with non supported UHS devices? If it is true what you guys are saying then its not.
I can't find anything about it on the English Wikipedia, but on the dutch Wikipedia it says it runs like class 10 on non supported devices:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD-kaart

UHS: MB (Megabyte) Mb (Megabit)
UHS Class 1 10 MB/s (min) 80 Mb/s (min)
UHS-I 104 MB/s (max) 832 Mb/s (max)
UHS Class 2 105 MB/s (min) 840 Mb/s (min)
UHS-II 300 MB/s (max) 2400 Mb/s (max)

omidz
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Home Frequently Asked Questions Memory Card
WHAT IS UHS-1 ?

"UHS-1" or more accurately "UHS-I" stands for "Ultra High Speed" - 1 and is a speed class for SDHC and SXDC memory cards.

UHS-I is the fastest category of card available today with a bus interface speed of up to 104 MB/s.

An SDHC UHS-I card will work in any SDHC compatible device at lower speeds, but to take advantage of the UHS-I speed, a UHS-I compatible device is essential.

4rjan
Old
(Last edited by 4rjan; 5th June 2012 at 01:39 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by omidz View Post
An SDHC UHS-I card will work in any SDHC compatible device at lower speeds, but to take advantage of the UHS-I speed, a UHS-I compatible device is essential.
the question is what are those "lower" speeds?

silversonic1
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rjan View Post
the question is what are those "lower" speeds?
The speeds would be the Class 6 or Class 10 speeds, depending on what's listed on the card. Of course, even that can be bottlenecked by your device's cache.
Current Phone: Droid Bionic with 16GB card.