Ask a question

No registration required

Wipe data/factory reset from ODIN

OP sfhub

24th May 2012, 02:36 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,854

4,757 posts
A few weeks back, I got tired of not trusting wipe data/factory reset from any ICS-based kernel's recovery so I put together a small ODIN utility to wipe /cache and /data

Here it is if anyone is interested:
SPH-D710.ODIN_WIPE_CACHE_DATA.exe

You just double-click in windows, boot your phone to ODIN DL mode, and press Start.

No need to flash GB-based kernel/recovery just to do wipe data/factory reset then flash back to ICS-based kernel.

To be clear, the purpose is to have a "safe" replacement for wipe data/factory reset (recovery option) until we get the "fixed" kernels. It will wipe /cache and /data only, which is what wipe data/factory reset does. It will NOT wipe /system nor will it wipe your kernel.

In case people are not aware, there is a bug in the EMMC firmware (likely wear-level code) where if you issue an mmc_erase() it may result in a lockup/superbrick(). The reason it doesn't happen in GB is because GB doesn't use mmc_erase(). In ICS they added mmc_erase() into the code path initiated from make_ext4fs(). This is used by wipe data/factory reset in Recovery which is why we sometimes see the lockup/superbrick. Given that the problem is likely in the wear-level EMMC firmware code, it may not get triggered all the time even if mmc_erase() is called, but we are at risk whenever it is called.

As usual, you should be careful when flashing anything. I've been using this for 2 weeks now to test releases and haven't had any issues.
Last edited by sfhub; 28th May 2012 at 07:47 PM.
The Following 63 Users Say Thank You to sfhub For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th May 2012, 02:39 AM   |  #2  
Flag Hellabama
Thanks Meter: 1,483

2,943 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub

A few weeks back, I got tired of not trusting wipe data/factory reset from any ICS-based kernel's recovery so I put together a small ODIN utility to wipe /cache and /data

You just double-click in windows, boot your phone to ODIN DL mode, and press Start.

No need to flash GB-based kernel/recovery just to do wipe data/factory reset then flash back to ICS-based kernel.

Awesome. Thank you so much!
24th May 2012, 03:26 AM   |  #3  
Flag Cloquet
Thanks Meter: 0

23 posts
More
Just tried this! Restores phone to stock ICS. Thank you!
25th May 2012, 09:14 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 39

98 posts
Q1 - Will this completely wipe all data, even from internal storage? How do I get my phone to go back to having only the basic folder/files needed to run?

Here is the reason I ask. I'm currently running Team Rogue Recovery. I just selected the Calkulin's Format All for E4gt.zip and ran it. It said it wiped a number of directories. After it ran, I then selected the Wipe > Factory Reset option. It said it wiped a number of directories.

However, when I go back and say "Choose .zip from Internal Storage", I see all these directories that were created by apps I installed that I thought would have been wiped. For example, I see a directory for BeWeather, CameraZoom, GoLauncher, GoLocker, etc. If I did a factory reset, shouldn't all those directories disappear from the internal storage?

Q2 - Assuming the answer to Q1 is yes, then based on the instructions provided, if I were to use this utility, it would clear out the data, but it would not remove the kernel. So could I use this utility while having a GB (EL29) kernel installed, and then flash a GB ROM?
Last edited by tenazrael; 25th May 2012 at 09:19 PM.
25th May 2012, 10:18 PM   |  #5  
Flag Detroit
Thanks Meter: 31

301 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

As usual, you should be careful when flashing anything. I've been using this for 2 weeks now to test releases and haven't had any issues.

Does this take it back to the latest OTA from Sprint/Samsung (I believe is EL29)? Or does it take it to some other ROM.
26th May 2012, 01:18 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Immokalee/Tampa FL
Thanks Meter: 6,201

2,877 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesma

Does this take it back to the latest OTA from Sprint/Samsung (I believe is EL29)? Or does it take it to some other ROM.

No it just wipes data/cache. You'll still be on the same rom/kernel/modem, just starting "fresh"

Hey sfhub, how can we mobile Odin this from our phone again?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
26th May 2012, 01:33 AM   |  #7  

4,757 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenazrael

Q1 - Will this completely wipe all data, even from internal storage? How do I get my phone to go back to having only the basic folder/files needed to run?

Here is the reason I ask. I'm currently running Team Rogue Recovery. I just selected the Calkulin's Format All for E4gt.zip and ran it. It said it wiped a number of directories. After it ran, I then selected the Wipe > Factory Reset option. It said it wiped a number of directories.

However, when I go back and say "Choose .zip from Internal Storage", I see all these directories that were created by apps I installed that I thought would have been wiped. For example, I see a directory for BeWeather, CameraZoom, GoLauncher, GoLocker, etc. If I did a factory reset, shouldn't all those directories disappear from the internal storage?

Q2 - Assuming the answer to Q1 is yes, then based on the instructions provided, if I were to use this utility, it would clear out the data, but it would not remove the kernel. So could I use this utility while having a GB (EL29) kernel installed, and then flash a GB ROM?

The purpose of this utility is to simulate the wipe data/factory reset option in Recovery using ODIN. The reason I put it together is there is a change in the ICS kernel where wipe data/factory reset does an mmc_erase(). This in turns triggers a bug in the EMMC firmware which could lead to your phone superbricking.

Wipe data/factory reset in Recovery will reset /cache and /data. It won't touch your SD card. This utility does the same, but does it in a safe manner that won't trigger the EMMC lockup/superbrick situation.

Don't expect stuff in /system (ie your ROM) to be reset nor your kernel. That is not the purpose of Wipe data/factory reset in Recovery. Its purpose is to get rid of your Android user data so you start from scratch.

If you are using a GB-based kernel/recovery, you don't need this. Your kernel/recovery doesn't issue an mmc_erase() thus are safe from the EMMC lockup/superbrick.
Last edited by sfhub; 26th May 2012 at 01:56 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sfhub For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th May 2012, 01:37 AM   |  #8  
Flag SATX
Thanks Meter: 189

720 posts
Donate to Me
More
Anyone ever told you that you are a damn genius?

Surprise! You're a damn genius.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to peanut1596 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th May 2012, 01:41 AM   |  #9  

4,757 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_rick

No it just wipes data/cache. You'll still be on the same rom/kernel/modem, just starting "fresh"

Hey sfhub, how can we mobile Odin this from our phone again?

Here is a tar.md5 (7zip self-extractor) you can use:

SPH-D710.WIPE_CACHE_DATA-sfx.exe

Double-click on windows (or use zArchiver on Android) and it'll give you the .tar.md5
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sfhub For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th May 2012, 01:45 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Immokalee/Tampa FL
Thanks Meter: 6,201

2,877 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Here is a tar.md5 (7zip self-extractor) you can use:

SPH-D710.WIPE_CACHE_DATA-sfx.exe

Double-click on windows (or use zArchiver on Android) and it'll give you the .tar.md5

Thank you I was looking for the name of that app. Awesome work as usual.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to slick_rick For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread