I'd just like to clarify the warranty for the phone if you root etc.
Originally Posted by Cyanogen Disclaimer
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
Update : triangleaway now works with the gs3. Look at chainfires thread upon his to do so. As stated its only been tested on XXALE8 Roms . I have personally tested it to work on a XXALE8 ROM . As emphasised it is not a harmless procedure and could potentially brick your device! You've been warned.
Note generally the software warranty is void. Hardware usually remains intact depending on manufacturer or part that failes (e.g. OC CPU to death
Will root only void it? Y/ N
- no, It is possible to remove the counter and flash a stock firmware to remove root. Bear in mind this is difficult and should only be done for warranty purposes.
Will root void insurance? Y / N
No. (Check with your insurer just to be sure)
Will flashing custom recovery e.g. CWM void it? Y / N
Yes. Again revert to stock.
Will flashing a stock custom ROM void it? Y / N
Yes. The counter value will increase but can be removed
Will flashing a different source ROM (CM/Miui) void it? Y / N
Yes. (Same as above)
Will the flash counter be able to be reset? Y / N
Yes . Ceasefire has updated triangleaway to work with out devices.
Can the phone be returned to a factory state for warranty purposes? Y / N
Technically yes. I have not yet done so, but shouldn't be more difficult then removing the counter, CWM and flashing stock firmware (without root! )
Will carriers etc be aware of what you've done? Y / N
No. (Unless you tell them!)
Will you be angry if your phone becomes a useless paperweight? Y / N
You should be.
As the title states, this thread is to clarify on these points as many new users are unaware of the implications of using a custom ROM.
Feel free to write a comprehensive response and I shall include it in the OP.:thumbup:
(This is what I can conclude from memory and I shall try to keep it updated. I also have rooted my own device. The counter only increases in download mode )