Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,741 Members 47,177 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Car charger with AC "Like" wiring

Tip us?

cdettman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnp_79 View Post
Yes. The data pins are the two center ones I think. Should be obvious add they wont be connected to anything else in the charger. Good luck!
Just purchased a PowerJolt on Amazon and noticed there were a few user-uploaded photos showing which pins soldered together. You are correct, it's the two center pins.

Interestingly, one buyer noted that their pins were already soldered together from the factory.

Source/Photos: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...x=0&isremote=0

zohans
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks guys! Really useful info! I always thought it's my Belkin chargers fault

stuart0001
Old
Thanks Meter 1211

DONATE TO ME
I think there's a bit more to it than simply shorting the data wires.

I'd try the official hox cable in the charger before messing with wires. For some reason 3rd party cables show as ac for me but the power level is severely reduced compared to the official.

*chung*
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Has anyone tried the HTC CC C100 or CC C200?

Bought the eBay car charger that was recommended earlier, but still get USB charging with it in my 05 Focus + the HTC charging cable
- Could my car the problem????

Anyway was looking at either the Griffin PowerJolt that was also recommended earlier or the official car charger
- Just want to make sure I get AC charging when using GPS!

stuart0001
Old
Thanks Meter 1211

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by *chung*
Has anyone tried the HTC CC C100 or CC C200?

Bought the eBay car charger that was recommended earlier, but still get USB charging with it in my 05 Focus + the HTC charging cable
- Could my car the problem????

Anyway was looking at either the Griffin PowerJolt that was also recommended earlier or the official car charger
- Just want to make sure I get AC charging when using GPS!
I've got the c200 and it works at full ac speed as long as I use an official htc cable with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart0001 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

*chung*
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Bought CC C200 from Amazon (4.69 from 3rd party seller, but fulfilled by Amazon)

Does give AC charging =)

Need to do some more testing, as I get AC charging using the "curly" HTC cable I got with the CC C200, with one of the other USB car chargers I have + want to double check that phone doesn't drain, using GPS even with AC charging

=)

*chung*
Old
Thanks Meter 2
From the testing done so far, even with AC charging - it doesn't provide enough power to run GPS (CoPilot), without losing charge & was running Core Control - using 2 cores

Going to test another car to start ruling things out =(

Andy
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 5259

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by *chung* View Post
From the testing done so far, even with AC charging - it doesn't provide enough power to run GPS (CoPilot), without losing charge & was running Core Control - using 2 cores

Going to test another car to start ruling things out =(
I use CoPilot (v8) quite a bit, mine manages to hold charge and stay topped up.
I think being in (not very sunny UK) helps as if the One X is in direct sunlight it will warm up, add charging and use and you have a recipe for heat.

Maybe try directing an AC vent on to your handset.
-
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Tech support PMs will be ignored" - Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Xrayfk05
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by *chung* View Post
Install something like Battery Monitor and check how fast it is charging (when battery is < 80% full).
If it is < 500mah it's your charger.

I am using a Brodit holder and my One X charges when using Sygic, on full brightness and no tweaks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xrayfk05 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

*chung*
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Battery Monitor Widget Pro installed - monitoring seems funny, as it seems to update every few minutes, rather than "real-time"

Managed to get 1 charger / cable combination to charge AC and only just provide less power than needed (i.e. battery still went down, but a lot slower than other combos)

Still testing, but appreciate all the suggestions! Thanks!