Wiping from MOBILE ODIN PRO is safe. Need confirmation.

OP rjrjzozo

28th May 2012, 11:57 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 27

202 posts
Report I too uses MobileOdin Pro to official ICS with full wipe, no problem here too!
28th May 2012, 02:00 PM   |  #12  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 42

99 posts
Smile
I got my note from KSA. Since i have no warrenty i decided to go for Custom CFW's . I used PC ODIN .85 to move from my Stock(KSA region) Rom to GB 2.3.6 Stock rooted non wipe(Indian Region ) ROM . I then downloaded Mobile ODIN Pro and pointed at N7000XXLPY_N7000OXALPY_DBT firmware with CF-Root-SGN_ZS_OZS_LPF-v5.3-CWM5 kernel. Once it upgraded to ICS and reached the home screen. I booted into CWM and wiped my factory,cache and dalvik. I installed TheMIDTeam1.3_FINAL from the Internal card itself. It was the smoothest move and faced absolutely no problems. I updated TMT through CWM. Running on TMT1.4 Update 2 now. The OS has really become slick. i am reading a lot about imeka's PA rom. HOpe to get the soon if there are ROM control options. I want to change my density of the display.
28th May 2012, 03:45 PM   |  #13  
Flag Chartres
Thanks Meter: 263

612 posts
More
and what keeps you from changing the density ?

on topic : it would be nice if chainfire could confirm that flashing with mobile odin pro uses it's own hot kernel for doing so, and not the currently installed kernel...
Last edited by friedje; 28th May 2012 at 03:47 PM.
28th May 2012, 05:20 PM   |  #14  
Flag Novi Sad
Thanks Meter: 40,733

12,134 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrjzozo

Safest is WIPING from Mobile Odin. 100 % safe.

Yes, wiping from MO is safe...if you get to that point without a brick.
Problem is that MO uses the bad kernel to flash its own, and that is very dangerous.
28th May 2012, 05:35 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 14

170 posts
Does this mean that if you used Mobile Odin Pro to upgrade to ICS, your left with using an "outdated" kernel? Or is mobile odin just modifying the new one everytime you flash a new rom? When I check my kernel version in the settings is shows

3.0.15-n7000xxlpy-cl474507
se.infra@sep-103 #3
smp preempt fri may 4 04:49:06 KST 2012
Last edited by l0rd_almighty; 28th May 2012 at 05:42 PM.
28th May 2012, 06:13 PM   |  #16  
Flag Chartres

612 posts
More
No what it means is that MO uses it's own kernel for flashing and wiping independent from what kernel you are actually running or flashing.

I flashed LPY from within MO having a GB previously installed.
I never did a Wipe, so I suppose to still be ok.

Now I will wait some nice custom roms coming out with safe kernels.
Shouldn't be for too long now..
The Following User Says Thank You to friedje For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2012, 06:15 PM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 37

435 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvedor

Few users on Indian ICS updates (LP8) have reported the same. Does it mean sammy has silently fixed the eMMC bug (which bricks the phone)? In that case its a very good news.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1674930&page=3

I used the german version to flash so probably not, probably just got lucky. But saying that I've never actually heard anyone say exactly what it is that causes the bricking. I have only flashed from stock gb to stock ics and thats it. Its still strange how it doesn't happen to everyone when they wipe, the emmc thing is obviously not the only factor in the situation, especially seeing as the same command is active in GB aswell.
28th May 2012, 06:16 PM   |  #18  
Flag Chartres

612 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmodo

Problem is that MO uses the bad kernel to flash its own, and that is very dangerous.

Except for the ppl that had MO installed with their GB rooted kernel and used MO to upgrade...
28th May 2012, 07:52 PM   |  #19  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 39

89 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmodo

But MO uses a kernel wich is the same as before theses dangerous kernels came out. This kernel is located on the root of the sdcard. No matter you are on GB, ICS official or CM9 , the file that MO flashes before rebooting is the same.So i guess it's a GB kernel. So when it wipes the Data partition the new dangerous kernel isn't used. Neither the kernel used in the previous rom.
28th May 2012, 08:32 PM   |  #20  
Flag Chartres

612 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrjzozo

But MO uses a kernel wich is the same as before theses dangerous kernels came out. This kernel is located on the root of the sdcard. No matter you are on GB, ICS official or CM9 , the file that MO flashes before rebooting is the same.So i guess it's a GB kernel. So when it wipes the Data partition the new dangerous kernel isn't used. Neither the kernel used in the previous rom.

I suppose chasmodo meant to say that if you choose to install MO while already being on a buggy ICS then that is dangerous....

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread