Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Using Droid Razr on Strait Talk network

OP pondwater

29th May 2012, 01:36 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
after looking on the forums and a few other places and seeing that the razr should have gsm turned on if we were to find a way to unlock the gsm and put in say a strait talk micro sim card would it still continue to run cdma with 4g lte or would it just use the gsm networks that are around cause $45 for unlimted everything would be sweet. because of were i am strait talk uses vzw networks but i also know that their gsm phones use i think att's network. but if we could do this how many of you would dump your contracts and only pay $45

no body needs to lecture me about spelling or grammer i know it is my flaw and no reason to flame for it LOL
29th May 2012, 05:47 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 31

490 posts
More
From what i undertsand it should work with out issues.but i believe u need to be on a ics leak to have it fully unlocked.in the ics leak they made it unlocked for global know and thats what my phone is set at.it will hse gsm frequency only since u wont be tied into verizon no longer....if im wrong someone plz correct but i believe im right...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium
29th May 2012, 08:05 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 280

850 posts
More
with the straight talk SIM card it would only work on GSM (from straight talk SIM page), yes in the past straight talk had phones that ran/run on verizons CDMA but those are being phased out and the SIM cards being sold now will only work with the GSM, I'm quite interested in this idea myself, I can't do it for more then a year and a half (not worth the cost to break the contract), so someone should be able to confirm this working before that time comes.

But it all depends on whether the razr gsm frequencies are in the same spectrum as AT&T or not, or possibly some other lockout, because in the news articles it seems to imply the global update GSM frequency won't work with AT&T for some reason and you need to be on AT&T GSM to use the straight talk SIM card.
Last edited by daniel644; 29th May 2012 at 08:10 PM.
29th May 2012, 10:15 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
But what would the possibility of getting them to work like the 4g devices on vzw cause I can take the sim out and place in other 4g phone and it works but strait GSM would be nice as well

Side note has any one figured out how to unlock the xt910 phones for different sim. Cards
30th May 2012, 01:50 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 280

850 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondwater

But what would the possibility of getting them to work like the 4g devices on vzw cause I can take the sim out and place in other 4g phone and it works but strait GSM would be nice as well

Side note has any one figured out how to unlock the xt910 phones for different sim. Cards

from my understanding it won't, verizon and straight talk started limiting there interaction before LTE and the SIM cards they are selling now are LOCKED to AT&T GSM frequencies.
http://www.straighttalk.com/shopsims if you choose CDMA it says program not available, and from what I understand AT&T's 4G LTE will be on a different frequency spectrum (50 Megahertz higher IIRC) and so our verizon LTE radios will not be supported on that system.
Samsuck
30th May 2012, 05:55 AM   |  #6  

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondwater

after looking on the forums and a few other places and seeing that the razr should have gsm turned on if we were to find a way to unlock the gsm and put in say a strait talk micro sim card would it still continue to run cdma with 4g lte or would it just use the gsm networks that are around cause $45 for unlimted everything would be sweet. because of were i am strait talk uses vzw networks but i also know that their gsm phones use i think att's network. but if we could do this how many of you would dump your contracts and only pay $45

no body needs to lecture me about spelling or grammer i know it is my flaw and no reason to flame for it LOL

You could buy a GSM razr /maxx that comes sim unlocked and use it on straight talk

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA
30th May 2012, 03:10 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsuck

You could buy a GSM razr /maxx that comes sim unlocked and use it on straight talk

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA

Not all of us have the money to buy a new phone
30th May 2012, 06:58 PM   |  #8  
Summerville, GA
Thanks Meter: 3

52 posts
More
You can use RadioComm to unlock the CDMA/LTE Razr to work on AT&T and T-Mobile. There is a thread somewhere on XDA that shows how to do it. Then all you would have to do is pop in the Straight Talk SIM and edit the APN settings on the Razr to get data and MMS. IIRC, the Razr supports all the frequencies AT&T uses, including the ones used for HSPA+.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
31st May 2012, 05:56 AM   |  #9  
Flag La Habra
Thanks Meter: 2

19 posts
More
I don't think Lte will work in straighttalk, would be nice but yes straight talk its phasing out devices that use Verizons frequencies.
4th September 2012, 06:38 PM   |  #10  

10 posts
droid razr maxx
So can anyone confirm that the droid razr maxx will work on straight talk at all with like att sim card? That would be great news because that phone has the best battery.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread