Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,756 Members 42,493 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Using Droid Razr on Strait Talk network

Tip us?

pondwater
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Using Droid Razr on Strait Talk network

after looking on the forums and a few other places and seeing that the razr should have gsm turned on if we were to find a way to unlock the gsm and put in say a strait talk micro sim card would it still continue to run cdma with 4g lte or would it just use the gsm networks that are around cause $45 for unlimted everything would be sweet. because of were i am strait talk uses vzw networks but i also know that their gsm phones use i think att's network. but if we could do this how many of you would dump your contracts and only pay $45

no body needs to lecture me about spelling or grammer i know it is my flaw and no reason to flame for it LOL

bigfdaddy
Old
Thanks Meter 31
From what i undertsand it should work with out issues.but i believe u need to be on a ics leak to have it fully unlocked.in the ics leak they made it unlocked for global know and thats what my phone is set at.it will hse gsm frequency only since u wont be tied into verizon no longer....if im wrong someone plz correct but i believe im right...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

daniel644
Old
(Last edited by daniel644; 29th May 2012 at 07:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 269
with the straight talk SIM card it would only work on GSM (from straight talk SIM page), yes in the past straight talk had phones that ran/run on verizons CDMA but those are being phased out and the SIM cards being sold now will only work with the GSM, I'm quite interested in this idea myself, I can't do it for more then a year and a half (not worth the cost to break the contract), so someone should be able to confirm this working before that time comes.

But it all depends on whether the razr gsm frequencies are in the same spectrum as AT&T or not, or possibly some other lockout, because in the news articles it seems to imply the global update GSM frequency won't work with AT&T for some reason and you need to be on AT&T GSM to use the straight talk SIM card.

pondwater
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
But what would the possibility of getting them to work like the 4g devices on vzw cause I can take the sim out and place in other 4g phone and it works but strait GSM would be nice as well

Side note has any one figured out how to unlock the xt910 phones for different sim. Cards

daniel644
Old
Thanks Meter 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondwater View Post
But what would the possibility of getting them to work like the 4g devices on vzw cause I can take the sim out and place in other 4g phone and it works but strait GSM would be nice as well

Side note has any one figured out how to unlock the xt910 phones for different sim. Cards
from my understanding it won't, verizon and straight talk started limiting there interaction before LTE and the SIM cards they are selling now are LOCKED to AT&T GSM frequencies.
http://www.straighttalk.com/shopsims if you choose CDMA it says program not available, and from what I understand AT&T's 4G LTE will be on a different frequency spectrum (50 Megahertz higher IIRC) and so our verizon LTE radios will not be supported on that system.
Samsuck Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondwater View Post
after looking on the forums and a few other places and seeing that the razr should have gsm turned on if we were to find a way to unlock the gsm and put in say a strait talk micro sim card would it still continue to run cdma with 4g lte or would it just use the gsm networks that are around cause $45 for unlimted everything would be sweet. because of were i am strait talk uses vzw networks but i also know that their gsm phones use i think att's network. but if we could do this how many of you would dump your contracts and only pay $45

no body needs to lecture me about spelling or grammer i know it is my flaw and no reason to flame for it LOL
You could buy a GSM razr /maxx that comes sim unlocked and use it on straight talk

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA

pondwater
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsuck View Post
You could buy a GSM razr /maxx that comes sim unlocked and use it on straight talk

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA
Not all of us have the money to buy a new phone

Sparkimus
Old
Thanks Meter 3
You can use RadioComm to unlock the CDMA/LTE Razr to work on AT&T and T-Mobile. There is a thread somewhere on XDA that shows how to do it. Then all you would have to do is pop in the Straight Talk SIM and edit the APN settings on the Razr to get data and MMS. IIRC, the Razr supports all the frequencies AT&T uses, including the ones used for HSPA+.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

djflmmbl
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I don't think Lte will work in straighttalk, would be nice but yes straight talk its phasing out devices that use Verizons frequencies.

ValtheBatman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default droid razr maxx

So can anyone confirm that the droid razr maxx will work on straight talk at all with like att sim card? That would be great news because that phone has the best battery.