New Approach to get HTC to listen.

29th May 2012, 02:31 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orland Park, Illinois
Thanks Meter: 9,193

3,512 posts
Donate to Me
More
We need to bug HTC to get what the people want. To do so, you can tweet them and email. Remember, be professional!

Twitter: @HTC and @HTCDev

Send them both tweets about releasing the source for the Amaze.

I tweeted Faux and he said this to me:

https://twitter.com/faux123/status/205121987000016896

Also, E-Mail them.

http://htcdev.com/contact

Tell them why we want it and how it will benefit us AND them.

Here is what I wrote:

Quote:

HTC has made a promise to help to development community by releasing the source code as well as unlocking the bootloader for their devices. However, the TI WLAN source code has been withheld from the community. This slows development and can even cease development for the device completely. Without the source code, developers will have to develop blindly and hoping not to break anything in the process. The Amaze 4G has great potential due to his hardware and power that it harnesses. Android is an Open Source OS, but HTC is sounding more like Apple, holding their source from the public. People purchased the device to experience the "Real Feel" of Android by customizing it, installing Custom ROMs, tweaking it, etc. Without the WLAN source code, we, as a community, have starting to lose faith in HTC and some of us have even pledged to never purchase an HTC device again due to HTC's policies. The community will like for HTC to rethink their strategy and be "Open" with the community. The best form of advertisement is by "The Word-of-Mouth". When our community, the tech savvy and the owners of a smartphone, see how HTC listens to their customers requests, they will become more profitable and retain/gain new and loyal customers.

Follow along my lines but don't copy and paste it. Be truthful to them. Open your mind/heart. Tell them why we want, why it will help, why it will help their image with consumers, how it can lead to more business and brand loyalty.
Last edited by hasoon2000; 29th May 2012 at 02:46 AM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to hasoon2000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th May 2012, 02:41 AM   |  #2  
Flag Mississauga
Thanks Meter: 45

799 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasoon2000

We need to bug HTC to get what the people want. To do so, you can tweet them and email. Remember, be professional!

Twitter: @HTC and @HTCDev

Send them both tweets about releasing the source for the Amaze.

I tweeted Faux and he said this to me:

https://twitter.com/faux123/status/205121987000016896

Also, E-Mail them.

http://htcdev.com/contact

Tell them why we want it and how it will benefit us AND them.

Here is what I wrote:

Follow along my lines but don't copy and paste it. Be truthful to them. Open your mind/heart. Tell them why we want, why it will help, why it will help their image with consumers, how it can leave to more business and brand loyalty.

Will do

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using XDA
29th May 2012, 05:28 AM   |  #3  
Flag Turkiye-Istanbul
Thanks Meter: 45

113 posts
More
ı did it
29th May 2012, 05:13 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

3,512 posts
Donate to Me
More
HTC responded to me

Quote:

Dear Odai,

I understand you would like to have certain source codes like the WLAN drivers to the development community. I realize that this information is of great importance to you. The only source code we have available is the full source code available on the HTC Developer website at http://htcdev.com. We do not currently have an option to send individual parts of the source code separately. Any parts of the kernel source code that are not included in the released source code on the website should be considered propriety and not available for release. Please visit http://htcdev.com/contact to leave comments about this feature. I thank you for sending your email to HTC today.

My response to that

Quote:

Since HTC is committed to helping the development community, hence HTCDev has been started, there have been a fair share of issues that is being withheld from us. There has been a lack of support for certain devices since new flagship phones have been released. For example, the HTC Amaze 4G is a device with great hardware, but HTC has not given us full support due to the face of the HTC One series being released. As a business student, I understand what is being done. HTC would like their new flagship phones to sell and give less support to older devices. However, we are being left out and since this is my first non-Nokia device, I feel betrayed by HTC already. I purchased the Amaze 4G due to its hardware and I know it can unleash its true potential, only with the help of HTC. However, this is not the case. There are devices with over 10 custom made kernels and how many does the Amaze have? Only one and that is for Gingerbread and it has slight modifications since the full source has not be released. This is a huge setback to us users. We have barely any type of custom ROMs. We have not AOSP (Android Open Source Project) ROMs since we need the full kernel source to even make a kernel that is compatible with AOSP ROMs.

The Sensation development is sky high booming with plenty of developers. As a developer for the HTC Amaze 4G, looking at the Sensation development is heart breaking. The Amaze is truly better, but yet has no support from those who created it. It is like leaving a baby in the street. You do not do that.

HTC needs to realize for those who purchase their devices and would like to retain loyalty to HTC, HTC needs to treat their customers back as well. Without us, HTC is nothing.

As I stated earlier, this is my first Non-Nokia device and I already feel betrayed by HTC. If HTC cannot fix their act and be committed to those purchase their devices, they will lose customers significantly.

There should be a way to release the full source to us HTC Amaze 4G owners by talking to other companies that have their hardware in the Amaze. If that cannot be done, this will be my first and last HTC device ever.

So do what you can and stay committed to your program for us HTC users. Without your support, we feel betrayed since the company is not living up to their word. For us, it is hypocrisy while you guys believe it is business. The best business is customer support. If customers are not given what they have been truly promised, HTC might as well just shut down or reallocate to another industry. Just my opinions and my response.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hasoon2000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th May 2012, 07:23 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 130

356 posts
More
Just in case anyone needs some ideas on what to write. As Hasoon has said, don't copy and paste, make it legit!

As I hope others before me have sent an email to you regarding the same topic, I as well am writing to you in regards to the TI WLAN source code for the amaze that you have yet to release. I have been loyal to the HTC brand since the touch, and felt that your move to the development communities has been terrific, and have become quite involved with the development community myself, and look forward to help developing the amaze to its full potential and to have full freedom over the device. I know that there has been at least one statement released already regarding the WLAN driver's release, and that it is proprietary, and if that is the case, I'd like to get some more information regarding that statement, if/when you plan on ever releasing it, and why it is proprietary to begin with. There are many other devices out there that HTC has been very co-operative with, but fail to see why with the Amaze, a device that the way I see it is still extremely capable yet now not the hot phone to have, especially with your ONE line out, so the release of the driver would make sense to me, but withholding the code now does not. I hope this email along with others I hope are being sent regarding the same issue will persuade HTC to be as open as possible with the developers out there and show us that HTC still stands by its position to be a 'developer friendly' company.
The Following User Says Thank You to andy55 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th May 2012, 09:25 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 21

215 posts
The TI drivers source code belongs to Texas Instruments. HTC only has license to use it. TI is more of the root of problems. This kind of problems have been existing in linux community for life. Developers have to reverse engineering most of the drivers.
The Following User Says Thank You to crazypotato For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th May 2012, 10:07 PM   |  #7  
Flag San Bernardino
Thanks Meter: 54

336 posts
More
Should we maybe write TI about it instead?
30th May 2012, 11:03 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

3,512 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanBarca10

Should we maybe write TI about it instead?

We can do both. We have to pressure both companies.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to hasoon2000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st May 2012, 03:29 AM   |  #9  
Flag San Bernardino
Thanks Meter: 54

336 posts
More
Does anybody know what TIs history is for something like this?
31st May 2012, 03:31 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 5,722

3,160 posts
Donate to Me
More
this is what i got back

Dear Xavier Veras,

Quote:

Hello, Xavier, and thank you for contacting HTC regarding your concerns with the T-Mobile Amaze ICS kernel source code. I understand how important it is for you to have this information for your phone. As you stated in your email to us, you arenít talking about the Gingerbread source code, but I would like to note that the source code for Gingerbread is available on our htcdev.com website. The ICS software for the Amaze is relatively new for us, having just released a couple months ago. It does take time for the code to be compiled and we arenít trying to keep it from you or our other customers. Also, the Amaze does have Sense 3.6 when upgraded to ICS, as do all our devices, thus far, that have received the ICS update. Unfortunately, though it is available for customer use, we donít support the htcdev.com website and do not know if or when the kernel source code for ICS will be released. I apprecate you contacting us with your concerns and thank you for being an HTC customer!

The Following User Says Thank You to EclipzeRemix For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread