5,594,386 Members 35,237 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Does unlock Bootloader mean out of warranty?

Tip us?

khom27820
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation [Q] Does unlock Bootloader mean out of warranty?

Yes, it looks like a very common question, but I used to own HTC-Wildfire once.
After installing custom ROMS, I have problems with battery malfunction. Untill now, I cannot fix it even if I brought a new battery.

I had purchased HTC One X, before I have found that the official ROM is not the best. I would like to try CUSTOM ROMS, but I'm afraid that it will make my mobile phone out of warranty.

However, I heard that after unlocking bootloader, we can lock it again and install an official ROM but the status of the phone will show " re-lock " instead of lock.
That means someone will know that I used to unlock it.

What do you think about this? Can I do it and also make it restore as untouched when my phone need fixing?

Thank you in advance.
KhSom

pa64
Old
Thanks Meter 33
It will show re-lock, and I guess this is the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khom27820 View Post
After installing custom ROMS, I have problems with battery malfunction. Untill now, I cannot fix it even if I brought a new battery.

I had purchased HTC One X, before I have found that the official ROM is not the best. I would like to try CUSTOM ROMS, but I'm afraid that it will make my mobile phone out of warranty.

However, I heard that after unlocking bootloader, we can lock it again and install an official ROM but the status of the phone will show " re-lock " instead of lock.

What do you think about this? Can I do it and also make it restore as untouched when my phone need fixing?

Thank you in advance.
KhSom
Samsung Galaxy S3 mini
Nexus 7 (2013)

dr9722
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by khom27820 View Post

Thank you in advance.
KhSom
Your phone will still be in warranty in case of any hardware defects however should you break your phone as a result of flashing firmware then HTC will not assist you.
HTC One in Silver
ROM: ARHD 8.0 - Android 4.1.2 | Recovery: Clockwork Touch | Kernel: Stock | Launcher: Sense 5

Google Nexus 10
ROM: Paranoid Android - Android 4.2.2 | Recovery: Clockwork | Kernel: Stock | Launcher: Go Launcher HD for Pad

Retired:
HTC One X in White
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Motorola Xoom
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
HTC Sensation
HTC Desire HD
Nexus One
HTC Hero
Samsung Omnia
Samsung Tocco

defmetal96
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Yes, I believe that ANY rooting (and therefore ROM changes) voids the warranty of ANY phone however there are ways of unrooting your phone so that it appears completely unrooted.
Here's one method that may work: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=900875

However if you use a program such as superoneclick, ginerbreak, etc then an unroot feature is often included.

I believe that these methods don't leave an obvious trace, thus allowing a warranty claim to be made.

khom27820
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr9722 View Post
Your phone will still be in warranty in case of any hardware defects however should you break your phone as a result of flashing firmware then HTC will not assist you.
That means if something wrong to my phone such as the screen is broken, I can still claim it, right?

If it is, I will begin to unlock my phone and install other ROM doubtlessly.

lightning5791
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr9722 View Post
I had to send my HOX back to the shop because of a dodgy touchscreen. Of course, I had already installed ARHD so I was faced with the same issue. I reinstalled the proper RUU and relocked my bootloader. The shop accepted my RMA after finding the defect and told me that they had sent the phone to the HTC Service Center. So as of now the phone is wherever that is awaiting repair. The jury is still out as to whether they will investigate if the bootloader is relocked. I don't think it will be an issue, but I will report back as soon as I get word!

Cheers,
Mathieu

ps - I will change my signature as soon as I get my HOX back...
HTC One X
bootloader "locked" because of new pcb installed
hboot 1.12
Android: stock
v 4.0.4
Sense: 4.1
Build: 2.17.401.2 CL89015 release-keys

jdunne
Old
Thanks Meter 8
HTC will still honor warranty claims even if your phone was unlocked via HTCdev. The lcd on my One X decided that it would display the screen whenever it wanted to and not when I did. I called HTC and opened a ticket, shipped it to them, paid their slightly frustrating $20 USD handling fee, and now it's in repair with nothing else I need to pay.

This is with a unbranded HTCdev unlocked phone that had at least 4 different ROMs flashed as well as 2 kernels.

As far as your question of dodging the RE-LOCKED screen:

Until someone finds a way to S-OFF, we're stuck with it. But believe me that RE-LOCKED looks a whole lot better in HTC's eyes than TAMPERED.

If all you want to do is flash ROMs, just do it the HTC provided way.

Unless you manage to fry your phone by overclocking to 2.5ghz or overvolting, you'll be fine if the phone breaks.

lightning5791
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi guys,

Just an update. I just received an email in which I was informed that my HOX has been repaired/replaced (I wonder which it is?). So either they didn't check the bootloader (or any secret log files of what has been installed) or they just didn't care. It would seem to have gone well...
HTC One X
bootloader "locked" because of new pcb installed
hboot 1.12
Android: stock
v 4.0.4
Sense: 4.1
Build: 2.17.401.2 CL89015 release-keys