It was pretty easy, instead of modifying the kernel itself, I just modified /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh. It already sets extra parameters for the CPU and system shortly after boot. Here are the lines that I added:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online chmod 444 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
You can also verify this is working by any number of apps, but I find SystemPanel to be the best. They have a free lite version. Just download and tap on the top right where the CPU info is. You will the the CPUs changing, when it goes grey it's offline (which you won't see when using the Dual Core Mod).
aLogcat will also show you everything DCM is doing. Just apply a filter in aLogcat called DCM and it will tell you in detail what is going on.
If you want a little bit less info or want to use adb, just type su and then dcmlog and you will see what the 2nd core is doing exactly. This is updated every 1/4 second for extremely accurate results.
- Download the mod below and place on your internal_sdcard or sdcard (doesn't matter, just remember where you put it!)
- Go into Settings > Power > Fast Boot and uncheck that.
- Turn the phone off. Once off, press and hold the Volume Down + Power Button until you reach the white bootloader screen
- Choose "RECOVERY" (volume down and up to move, power to select)
- Choose "Install" and locate the mod wherever you put it. NOTE: If you don't see it, make sure that either internal_sdcard or sdcard is mounted. This can be done via the "Mount" button at the main menu of TWRP. Be sure that either internal_sdcard or sdcard is checked!
- Wait until the install is finished and then tap "Reboot to System"
- Fixed issues with cpu1 turning off when screen on
- Fixed issues with cpu1 turning on when screen off
- Added double check for cpu1 off when screen off
- Added logging to logcat
- Set perms of 444 on hotplug file, regardless of dcmhelper present or not
- Added /system/bin/dcmlog (type su then dcmlog from terminal or adb) - Tells you current cpu1 status [0 = off, 1 = on]
- MANY new options!
- Added "Screen Profiles" and "Auto Tweak" script option (all located in one configurable file - /system/bin/dcmhelper) - see 2nd post for more info
- Added "Memory Optimization" option - see 2nd post for more info
- Support AT&T HTC One X
- Support T-Mobile One S
- "All-in-One" .zips - all devices supported via 1 .zip file (thanks to a very smart updater-script I wrote )
- Initial release
All DCMs have memory optimizations!
- Dual Core Mod - Full time cpu1 on
- Dual Core Mod Plus - cpu1 on when screen on, cpu1 off when screen off
- Dual Core Mod Ultimate - Same as Plus but governor is tweaked for more performance when screen on, more battery life when screen off.
Dual Core Mod v2.1
Dual Core Mod v2.1 Plus
Dual Core Mod v2.1 Ultimate
Dual Core Mod Back to Stock
Dual Core Mod v2.1 for viperROM
Dual Core Mod v2.1 Plus for viperROM
Dual Core Mod v2.1 Ultimate for viperROM
Dual Core Mod Back to Stock viperROM
- Freeza for doing this on the EVO 3D where I got the idea from
- rohandhruva, remedy1419, and ewalk4866 for EXTENSIVE testing to fix issues and make DCM better
Donate to -viperboy-