Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,465 Members 37,164 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC One V Dead

Tip us?

falconyx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Default HTC One V Dead

So I bought my gf a one v and she loves it. One month after using it (stock, unrooted) it just went dead. Doesn't charge and doesn't get into bootloader (but not the QHSUSB_DLOAD and Blank Screen issue). Guy at repair told me that this was an issue with the ICS kernel causing a hard brick. Now, I naturally sent phone for repair since it is a warranty case. So far so good, lets just hope they get it done fast.

My question is though: should I root device and flash another ROM with presumably no such issues so I can avoid a future brick? I mean, I'm using a rooted desire and have no issues for over 2 years, now just didn't want to mess with the new phone of my gf and thought 'hey, lets keep it stock'... But the thought that it would die again after having it repaired is really discouraging. My gf is kind of frustraded and I don't want this to happen again. But are there such issues with custom ROMs for the One V? Like I said, I'm using the good old desire and don't know much about the one v, so I would really apreciate if you can tell me - because if such an issue is possible on custom roms, there is no point to bother flashing and voiding warranty.

Thanks for your time guys!

hlavicka82
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Well at the moment we have only modified stock ROM for this device and one custom kernel (in beta state) which is still an ICS kernel.

However you''ll never know whether this happens again or not. But one thing you can know for sure is that if you unlock the bootloader and install a custom kernel and ROM and it happens again then your are screwed because you lost your warranty.

Maybe you should wait a bit for some stable custom rom. Because an unstable and buggy ROM would make your gf even more frustrated and andgry
The Following User Says Thank You to hlavicka82 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

falconyx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Oh well, thanks for the insight my friend..So, If I got this right, if I root and flash one of the current roms and it bricks again, I will still not be able to acces bootloader? And is this really a kernel issue with ICS? I'm willing to even flash a GB rom, if it is possible, in order to avoid this...gf won't mind for sure lol, if this delivers a stable phone in the future

P.S. Does this even happen with other ICS roms/on other stock ICS devices? Or did HTC just screw up on this one? I can understand a phone bricking when changing hboots or other tinkering, but just dieing like that is pretty damn stupid. And from what I read it happens to quite a few other one v users...Hope noone of you guys gets to experience this crap

1ceb0x
Old
Thanks Meter 5,030

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconyx View Post
Oh well, thanks for the insight my friend..So, If I got this right, if I root and flash one of the current roms and it bricks again, I will still not be able to acces bootloader? And is this really a kernel issue with ICS? I'm willing to even flash a GB rom, if it is possible, in order to avoid this...gf won't mind for sure lol, if this delivers a stable phone in the future

P.S. Does this even happen with other ICS roms/on other stock ICS devices? Or did HTC just screw up on this one? I can understand a phone bricking when changing hboots or other tinkering, but just dieing like that is pretty damn stupid. And from what I read it happens to quite a few other one v users...Hope noone of you guys gets to experience this crap
1. In no other galaxy, no other planet... IT IS NOT A KERNEL FAULT! it may at well be a piece of poorly made phone. you should get another one from the warranty. I can 100% say that you will not have any problems. The kernel doesn't suddenly causes hard brick to your phone. If it does, do you know how many phones running ICS are there? Or One V's...

I have flashed alpha/beta/final kernels/roms for millions of times, no problems whatsoever.
in no way this is a kernel/soft problem. more likely the flash drive from your gf's phone, died!

My past projects

HTC Hero GSM!
SHPONGLE / HeroICS 4.0.3 / BEASTsense

HTC One V GSM!
SHPONGLE
PARANOID ANDROID

LG G2
B14CKB1RD™ inside | LiquidSmooth™ 4.4

Nexus 4
hellscore™ inside | MahdiROM™

Like my work for the community? Feel free to make a donation
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1ceb0x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

falconyx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceb0x View Post
1. In no other galaxy, no other planet... IT IS NOT A KERNEL FAULT! it may at well be a piece of poorly made phone. you should get another one from the warranty. I can 100% say that you will not have any problems. The kernel doesn't suddenly causes hard brick to your phone. If it does, do you know how many phones running ICS are there? Or One V's...

I have flashed alpha/beta/final kernels/roms for millions of times, no problems whatsoever.
in no way this is a kernel/soft problem. more likely the flash drive from your gf's phone, died!
Thx dude, I was sort of wondering how this could really be a kernel problem, since the guy over at the repair told me so - 'Its a kernel issue with ICS'... well, I hope he was really wrong and the device we receive (hopefully soon) will be proper

1ceb0x
Old
Thanks Meter 5,030

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thx dude, I was sort of wondering how this could really be a kernel problem, since the guy over at the repair told me so - 'Its a kernel issue with ICS'... well, I hope he was really wrong and the device we receive (hopefully soon) will be proper
That guy should really make his homework. In no way a kernel can brick the phone. If this was true, the phone will not boot and work for weeks in the first place. Its not like the kernel has a "time-bomb" inside and it triggers when it is set.
As I said, it is a phone problem, something hardware has failed.

Hopefully it will be fixed for you gf and she will not have any problems in the future.

My past projects

HTC Hero GSM!
SHPONGLE / HeroICS 4.0.3 / BEASTsense

HTC One V GSM!
SHPONGLE
PARANOID ANDROID

LG G2
B14CKB1RD™ inside | LiquidSmooth™ 4.4

Nexus 4
hellscore™ inside | MahdiROM™

Like my work for the community? Feel free to make a donation

senhyd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy It happens in India too

My htc one v got bricked suddenly while using it. Forums at internet says it happens if battery charge goes below certain limit. Mine it went down to 24%

alifa
Old
Thanks Meter 3
It happened to me when my battery level was 14%. now I have to pay 200$ for repairs. (because I live in Iran.)

manojsuyal
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy HTC ONE V dead

Quote:

Hi My HTC one V just died , I didn't know how it was happened . 10 minutes before I made I call and just after sometime It stopped working .

Even it is not charging at all, mobile is out of warranty. don't really know what to do ..

Any suggestion would be appreciated .

Regards
Manoj