Anyone willing to Mod their Prime back for WiFi fix

OP nonpaq

31st May 2012, 02:46 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 8

173 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliad Kimhy

What about drilling small holes in the area where the wifi antenna is, creating a sort of a mesh? Could be very easily done with a drill with a small enough head by very carefully and slowly drilling into the aluminum.

I don't know if that would improve the wifi signal, but it is doable.

Might want to consider one thing though- People have been getting different wifi and GPS readings on unmodded primes, meaning that the problem is not necessarily the aluminum cover, but rather the quality of construction, components, etc.

I'm sorry, Faradays law says this will not work, for RF, mesh or solid is the same.

The contact area of the pingions on the motherboard to the antenna are realy tiny,I think replacing the pingions on the mainboard for small coax will improve, The wifi chip is at the other end of the tablet, the signals have to cross the entire device. I even saw they route the wifi signal trough a series of PCB trace and cables to the place where they connect to the antenna. I think replacing these connections by new a cable with at one end an MMCX and the other end solderd to the antenna, will improve the reception.
31st May 2012, 06:12 PM   |  #12  
Flag Newington
Thanks Meter: 42

154 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by otispowell

Where did you get it from? My wifi signal in my bedroom is terrible and moving the router doesn't seem to be an option

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

I got it on eBay for $50 dollars here's a link to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-WL-330N...item1c21fd7f72

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
31st May 2012, 06:30 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 16

78 posts
The other thread linked in the original post has all information regarding this topic.
  • Creating something like the 700 would be basically too complicated (though never impossible)
  • We won't know if the 700 back plate will match up until it is released (i doubt it is worth the work)
  • The external antenna works wonders, and can be made "removable"
  • A simple wire from the pogo pin that is isolated from the glass/aluminum will increase connectivity
31st May 2012, 06:54 PM   |  #14  
Flag Bothell, Washington
Thanks Meter: 218

1,028 posts
Here is another link for good reading...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1479664

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium
31st May 2012, 11:29 PM   |  #15  
OP Senior Member
Flag NY
Thanks Meter: 61

523 posts
More
I've read through both of those threads, the one I posted and the second one posted above. Unfortunately they both went the route of replacing the existing antennas with wires or external connections. The closest one to my idea was this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock-N-Load
Really though, in the end, it seems if someone wanted to get really hardcore, they could dremel a slice out of the back that is tall yet narrow, go to home depot and get some plexiglass, sand it down to obscure the view into the device, and epoxy that in place and place the wire into that as a window. Totally possible IF you wanted to kick it up a few levels now that the hard work is done and shows an antenna wire can hep. Essentially steal Apples' idea but keep it simple and make it home grown.

Like I said, slicing off the top of the back and covering it with plexiglass is probably too much. I'm thinking more like just a hole, over the existing antennas, covering it with epoxy, and making a Wifi Window like that on an iPod Touch:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPodTouch.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	1097702  
1st June 2012, 12:26 AM   |  #16  
Flag Birmingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Thanks Meter: 6

103 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mardukeme

I got it on eBay for $50 dollars here's a link to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-WL-330N...item1c21fd7f72

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

thanks =]

are there any other items that work the same but are cheaper?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app
Last edited by otispowell; 1st June 2012 at 12:31 AM.
1st June 2012, 01:26 AM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 291

1,261 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonpaq

This last weekend I was fustrated while vacationing when my Prime could not hold onto the hotel WiFi connection because of the distance to the router, yet my HD2 phone had no problems.

Why didnt you just tether to your HD2?
1st June 2012, 03:54 AM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 192

494 posts
Donate to Me
i just had a great idea. Based off what the linked thread was earlier,

It would be a handle on both sides, makes your TFP like a briefcase and eliminate the ugly/bulky antennas. Of course it won't be as powerful, but this would let us put antennas in the handle and increase reception. of course, it would require holes to be drilled in the back, but we can easily stick that on (and it would be very strong). It can be easily created with fiberglass, a color could easily be created and the brush strokes could be done as well. and a little gloss could be added after we have painted/added the brush strokes and get pretty close
Last edited by biggem001; 1st June 2012 at 03:58 AM.
1st June 2012, 04:16 AM   |  #19  
Flag Yakima, WA
Thanks Meter: 216

231 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggem001

i just had a great idea. Based off what the linked thread was earlier,

It would be a handle on both sides, makes your TFP like a briefcase and eliminate the ugly/bulky antennas. Of course it won't be as powerful, but this would let us put antennas in the handle and increase reception. of course, it would require holes to be drilled in the back, but we can easily stick that on (and it would be very strong). It can be easily created with fiberglass, a color could easily be created and the brush strokes could be done as well. and a little gloss could be added after we have painted/added the brush strokes and get pretty close

Very nice design The handle is a great idea. All you need to do is run some wires through the handle. That is all my WIFI attached antenna are doing in my "Optimus Prime" mod. As long as you get the wires away and above the metal backplate your in business. You can check out my link in thread for the original mod. GL m8

Here is pic of two wires coming from WIFI pogo pins. Raised out and above
the metal backplate. All you would need to do is run wires through a nice handle and you will get amazing wifi or GPS.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Strawmethod.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	1098123
Last edited by Erusman; 1st June 2012 at 04:36 AM.
1st June 2012, 07:46 AM   |  #20  
Thanks Meter: 8

44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willumpie82

I'm sorry, Faradays law says this will not work, for RF, mesh or solid is the same.

I've read on this forum that some (or one) devices (not the TFP obviously) have their wifi antenna located behind the speaker grill in order to allow proper wifi reception.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread