[ROM][CM9][AOKP] Temporary Stock E4GT from emmc

Search This thread

wtogami

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2010
Epic Touch Blog: Temporary Stock E4GT from emmc

Utility for CM9 Epic Touch
This is a temporary ROM that boots Samsung's Gingerbread EL29 firmware entirely from emmc without making any changes to the ROM currently installed on your phone. When you reboot, you return to recovery where you can re-flash the ROM to return to CM9. This temporary ROM is useful for several purposes.

• Update Profile.
  • Update PRL.
  • Sprint Activation.
  • Dial codes and diagnostic mode.

This should be helpful to users of any AOSP-based ROM including CM9, AOKP, etc.

Thanks to noobnl and mkasick for making this possible!

Last edited:

bobjase

Dec 22, 2006
Would this work to flash .zip updates (such as kobridge) or updated ROMs (such as alpha5)?

playya

Jan 12, 2007
Florida
This definitely will come in handy, can I suggest seeing if you can get a video made of how it works. I can honestly say It seems to help out quite a bit in this forum for a lot of people and does cut down on the crazy questions.

Great job though!

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL
Would this work to flash .zip updates (such as kobridge) or updated ROMs (such as alpha5)?
You can use the directbootCWM file to update CM9 yes. Not sure about using it for Kobridge tweaks.

This definitely will come in handy, can I suggest seeing if you can get a video made of how it works. I can honestly say It seems to help out quite a bit in this forum for a lot of people and does cut down on the crazy questions.

Great job though!
Maybe qbking can make one for those who need it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: latinmaxima

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL
I'm sorry but what does this do?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
Its for AOSP roms. You currently can't update PRL/Profile, activate your device, or use dialer codes on them so this temporarily allows you to boot stock el29 off the SD card without changing your current rom. You can do what i said from there. Saves you time from doing backups, restoring, etc.

Last edited:

smmlee

Jul 30, 2009
I'm hoping that someone can help me out as I am unable to boot into the temporary ROM. Here are the steps I followed:
1. I have everything extracted to emmc as directed.
2. I flashed directboot CWM utilizing mobile odin which correctly booted me into CWM version 5.0.2.7
3. I flashed boot_EL29.zip at location /emmc/multiboot/EL29 and received the following messages that appear to be correct.
Finding Update Package...​
Opening Update Package...​
Installing Update...​
Boot /emmc/multiboot/EL29/zImage​
Create mount symlink.​
Remount partitions read-only.​
(Re)mount /emmc read-only.​
Unpack kexec.​
Load zImage and initramfs.​
Sync.​
Reboot into zImage.​
Install from sdcard complete.​
4. At this point I expected the phone to reboot into the temporary rom; however, it just shows the standard recovery menu. No reboot occured.
5. Because no automatic reboot occured, I selected "reboot system now" from CWM. Unfortunately this just brings me back into directboot CWM.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

poormansupra

Sep 7, 2010
I am having the same problem I thought it could have been the downloading or unpacking so I downloaded it again and unpacked it and still have the same problem.

dschachm

Sep 24, 2008
I'm hoping that someone can help me out as I am unable to boot into the temporary ROM. Here are the steps I followed:
1. I have everything extracted to emmc as directed.
2. I flashed directboot CWM utilizing mobile odin which correctly booted me into CWM version 5.0.2.7
3. I flashed boot_EL29.zip at location /emmc/multiboot/EL29 and received the following messages that appear to be correct.
Finding Update Package...​
Opening Update Package...​
Installing Update...​
Boot /emmc/multiboot/EL29/zImage​
Create mount symlink.​
Remount partitions read-only.​
(Re)mount /emmc read-only.​
Unpack kexec.​
Load zImage and initramfs.​
Sync.​
Reboot into zImage.​
Install from sdcard complete.​
4. At this point I expected the phone to reboot into the temporary rom; however, it just shows the standard recovery menu. No reboot occured.
5. Because no automatic reboot occured, I selected "reboot system now" from CWM. Unfortunately this just brings me back into directboot CWM.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

I what having this same issue. There is a different version of direct boot, v3 that you have to use for this.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: smmlee

poormansupra

Sep 7, 2010
Worked with V3 direct boot Thanks

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

just click on the direct boot link and it will bring you to the V3

Reactions: smmlee

epdp14

Jan 19, 2011
Tampa
This sounds pretty cool and I would like to test it... what I don't understand is when I'm done with the temp rom, how do I get back to AOKP? Do I need to reflash the whole AOKP rom? Just the kernel?

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL
This sounds pretty cool and I would like to test it... what I don't understand is when I'm done with the temp rom, how do I get back to AOKP? Do I need to reflash the whole AOKP rom? Just the kernel?

When done updating prl/profile, etc. Just reboot your phone and it will take you back to cwm recovery. From there you can either just reflash the rom or just a compatible kernel so it boots.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Epic Touch Blog: Temporary Stock E4GT from emmc

Utility for CM9 Epic Touch
    This is a temporary ROM that boots Samsung's Gingerbread EL29 firmware entirely from emmc without making any changes to the ROM currently installed on your phone. When you reboot, you return to recovery where you can re-flash the ROM to return to CM9. This temporary ROM is useful for several purposes.

• Update Profile.
    • Update PRL.
    • Sprint Activation.
    • Dial codes and diagnostic mode.

This should be helpful to users of any AOSP-based ROM including CM9, AOKP, etc.

Thanks to noobnl and mkasick for making this possible!
    I'm sorry but what does this do?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
    Its for AOSP roms. You currently can't update PRL/Profile, activate your device, or use dialer codes on them so this temporarily allows you to boot stock el29 off the SD card without changing your current rom. You can do what i said from there. Saves you time from doing backups, restoring, etc.

Got a how to video uploading now!

Great job though!
    Agree, this is broken on AOKP FE22. (T.C.P)

Just returns back to menu screen.

Could people please read the instructions? You MUST use the directboot CWM. Nothing else will work.