FORUMS

PSA: You Can Optimize Your Note 4’s Recents Menu & RAM

The Note 4 never had the fastest Recents Menu, and despite its 3GB of RAM, … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (July 25 – Aug 1)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

[TUT] ADB over WiFi

707 posts
Thanks Meter: 217
 
By JeepFreak, Senior Member on 1st June 2012, 04:06 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I thought some people might appreciate the instructions to get adb working over WiF:

Type this in your terminal emulator on your One X:
Code:
su
setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555
stop adbd
start adbd
(5555 can be whatever you want.)

Then check it with this:
Code:
getprop service.adb.tcp.port
When it returns "5555" then run this command in the terminal (or command prompt) on your computer:
Code:
adb connect 192.168.0.151
Obviously enter your device's IP address in place of 192.168.0.151. Your computer must have adb (duh!) and your phone must be on the same network.

And you should be connected!

To tell the One X to listen for adb on the USB port instead of TCP again, enter this into the terminal emulator:
Code:
su
setprop service.adb.tcp.port -1
stop adbd
start adbd
Or just reboot the phone.

And to tell your computer to use USB for adb instead of TCP:
Code:
adb usb
I would definitely use the USB cable to push large files or even small files that you really don't want to risk corrupting (partition images you plan on dding, etc).

Very importantly, keep in mind, when your phone is listening for adb via WiFi, it's wide open... anybody that that the adb installed and knows your device's IP address can access it without a password. Again, a simple reboot will turn it off though.

HTH,
Billy

PS - Your are appreciated!
Last edited by JeepFreak; 1st June 2012 at 04:09 PM.
The Following 64 Users Say Thank You to JeepFreak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
1st June 2012, 04:22 PM |#2  
Root-Maniac's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag SO. Cali.
Thanks Meter: 555
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak

I thought some people might appreciate the instructions to get adb working over WiF:

Type this in your terminal emulator on your One X:

Code:
su
setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555
stop adbd
start adbd
(5555 can be whatever you want.)

Then check it with this:
Code:
getprop service.adb.tcp.port
When it returns "5555" then run this command in the terminal (or command prompt) on your computer:
Code:
adb connect 192.168.0.151
Obviously enter your device's IP address in place of 192.168.0.151. Your computer must have adb (duh!) and your phone must be on the same network.

And you should be connected!

To tell the One X to listen for adb on the USB port instead of TCP again, enter this into the terminal emulator:
Code:
su
setprop service.adb.tcp.port -1
stop adbd
start adbd
Or just reboot the phone.

And to tell your computer to use USB for adb instead of TCP:
Code:
adb usb
I would definitely use the USB cable to push large files or even small files that you really don't want to risk corrupting (partition images you plan on dding, etc).

Very importantly, keep in mind, when your phone is listening for adb via WiFi, it's wide open... anybody that that the adb installed and knows your device's IP address can access it without a password. Again, a simple reboot will turn it off though.

HTH,
Billy

PS - Your are appreciated!

I bet our usb plugs last longer doing things over WiFi. Thanks man


Sent from my HTC One X using XDA
20th September 2012, 02:13 PM |#3  
paxy97's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 533
 
More
Many custom ROMs and even some stock firmwares can change from usb to wifi in developer settings. Jellybean has this function built in with android so you dont need root or run any commands from terminal
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paxy97 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd December 2013, 10:57 AM |#4  
leolawliet's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 1,079
 
More
Thanks for the tut, this helps out a lot ^_^
22nd December 2013, 11:54 AM |#5  
Heisenberg's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Knocking on your door
Thanks Meter: 10,738
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leolawliet

Thanks for the tut, this helps out a lot ^_^

Instead of digging up a 13 month old thread by creating a post to say thanks, just hit the thanks button next time please.

Sent from my Evita.
24th December 2013, 12:36 AM |#6  
leolawliet's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 1,079
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa

Instead of digging up a 13 month old thread by creating a post to say thanks, just hit the thanks button next time please.

Sent from my Evita.

Already did, just wanted to personally say thanks.
24th December 2013, 01:02 AM |#7  
Heisenberg's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Knocking on your door
Thanks Meter: 10,738
 
Donate to Me
More
Pressing the button is thanks enough, it's frowned upon to dig up such an old thread with a new post.

Sent from my Evita.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th February 2014, 04:52 PM |#8  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 183
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa

Pressing the button is thanks enough, it's frowned upon to dig up such an old thread with a new post.

Sent from my Evita.

So tell yourself to smile upon it; we're humans, not automatons; they were being polite, and that's a lovely thing to be in this age - you're not compelled to "frown upon it". You know, "netiquette" is not law, and humanity is a lovely thing to see
The Following User Says Thank You to glossywhite For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th March 2014, 08:37 AM |#9  
droidparanoid's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Palm Springs
Thanks Meter: 0
 
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs down i've now seen it all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by glossywhite

So tell yourself to smile upon it; we're humans, not automatons; they were being polite, and that's a lovely thing to be in this age - you're not compelled to "frown upon it". You know, "netiquette" is not law, and humanity is a lovely thing to see

It makes me happy to see some actual humanity around these stuffy as of late parts! It's at best troubling and at worse ungrateful to have a policy in place that forbids a friendly human ”thanks". When someone feels the need to let that policy actually change their own personal level of gratitude there is something very bad happening.

A button can in no way replace a real human emotion. It provides a very impersonal response with very very little meaning.

I know there's probably a policy in place around here forbidding disagreement or self-expression against something that when looked at through other eyes is absolutely without meaning or need, but as a human I feel the need to stand up for my beliefs.

Thank you for your time.
6th March 2014, 10:18 PM |#10  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 183
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidparanoid

It makes me happy to see some actual humanity around these stuffy as of late parts! It's at best troubling and at worse ungrateful to have a policy in place that forbids a friendly human ”thanks". When someone feels the need to let that policy actually change their own personal level of gratitude there is something very bad happening.

A button can in no way replace a real human emotion. It provides a very impersonal response with very very little meaning.

I know there's probably a policy in place around here forbidding disagreement or self-expression against something that when looked at through other eyes is absolutely without meaning or need, but as a human I feel the need to stand up for my beliefs.

Thank you for your time.

AMEN!!!

God bless you my friend; the world's in a mess, and people are increasingly becoming entrenched in "the way it is" - well not me. Who wants to "fit in" and just be passive and live as if they're "enduring" life? Some people will NEVER like you - I found that is the case, and some people WILL NEVER have anything good to say. Well, that's up to them - for me, I AM ALWAYS going to SAY thank you, and people can just dislike that all they want - it's how I am, and if they "frown upon it", that just shows how lost they are, seriously.

BE NICE TO PEOPLE!!!!!!!

God bless you all
9th December 2014, 08:41 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Flag France
Thanks Meter: 91
 
Donate to Me
More
Smile
Landed here by googling a bit abt adb over wifi
And ... BAM ! Works straight !
I'll do some scripting around it but the core usage is all there,
BiG Thanks !

(Thanks button hit but cold not help posting a bit more )

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb wifi
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes