[Q] Can't get into recovery, can't get into bootloader download, am I bricked?

Search This thread

MrR0ng

Jun 29, 2007
I am currently stuck without being able to get into bootloader or recovery. I have a rom that is currently working for about 10 minutes at a time (FLEXREAPER-RF1_rv3-CUSTOM-ICS for HC).

I was orignially on the HC bootloader, using CWM v5. I then used the file found here http://skrilax.droid-developers.org/a500/nvflash/images/a500_a501_bootloaders_apx_ics_v7.zip and installed it from CWM. It looked like it installed just fine.

The problem is that now, when I try to get into recovery, I just see this screen
2012-06-02_18-23-49_379.jpg

Using Afterota, I was able to get my CPUID and the rest
Tablet Serial : 11920475015
Tablet Cpuid : 011920475015
Tablet Sbk : 0x6AA1E101 0x69CCD301 0x991D3003 0x07580203
Bootloader : 0.03.0X-HC
Android Build : FLEXREAPER-RF1_rv3_Acer_AV041_A500_1.031_033_041.00_CUS_WW_GEN1

But when I try to use blackthund3r or Timmydean, my tablet goes into APX just fine (with the screen blank and the power button white), but none of the tools can get my tablet to go into bootloader download mode.

I am totally stuck, and have no idea what to do. I have tried following instructions for http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1622425 and http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1516012, but neither of them can get me into bootloader. When I use the TimmyDean tool and put my tablet into APX manually, I get to the screen where I put in the CPUID, but i tells me that the CPUID I am entering is invalid. I've checked using multiple methods, and I always get my CPUID back at 011920475015. Is this a valid CPUID?

I am going crazy here.

xgutterratx

Sep 27, 2010
I have the same problem,

i cant boot into recovery mode.

and i cant get it to boot into APX mode i just get a black screen.

and can not find any wifi networks wont even search.

Would love some help.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I am currently stuck without being able to get into bootloader or recovery. I have a rom that is currently working for about 10 minutes at a time (FLEXREAPER-RF1_rv3-CUSTOM-ICS for HC).

I was orignially on the HC bootloader, using CWM v5. I then used the file found here http://skrilax.droid-developers.org/a500/nvflash/images/a500_a501_bootloaders_apx_ics_v7.zip and installed it from CWM. It looked like it installed just fine.

The problem is that now, when I try to get into recovery, I just see this screen

But when I try to use blackthund3r or Timmydean, my tablet goes into APX just fine (with the screen blank and the power button white), but none of the tools can get my tablet to go into bootloader download mode.

I am totally stuck, and have no idea what to do. I have tried following instructions for http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1622425 and http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1516012, but neither of them can get me into bootloader. When I use the TimmyDean tool and put my tablet into APX manually, I get to the screen where I put in the CPUID, but i tells me that the CPUID I am entering is invalid. I've checked using multiple methods, and I always get my CPUID back at 011920475015. Is this a valid CPUID?

I am going crazy here.

Well, first off, your UID is fine. For ICS that is. TimmyDeans tool requires an HC UID. So you can't use it in TimmyDeans. Theoretically the SBK is the same for both in a lot of cases, just the UID number changes. But you have your UID so all is not lost.

Probably just the recovery image got toasted. Also, there are reports that a small percentage of tablets don't get along well with certain version recoveries. No know reason for this.

Can you boot into fastboot mode? (vol+ amd PWR) if so, you can try to fastboot a new recovery image through the android SDK. You can access fastboot through the Android SDK/Platform-tools folder on your PC (open a command window there. Put the tab in fastboot mode, plug in to PC, make sure windows recognizes it as fastboot device.

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

(recovery.img being the name of the recovery you wish to use)

or

You can try the manual method of NVFlash. Personally I use one of the older tools from BlackThund3r to do this. It's not listed anymore, so if you need it, I'll have to package it in a zip file and post it.

Anyhow, those are a couple of methods to use.

MD

Reactions: MrR0ng

xgutterratx

Sep 27, 2010
Hi

i need more info on how to fastboot through the Android SDK/Platform-tools.

i have downloaded the android sdk but look like just a package DOWNLOADER developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

cant use the other methods ( NVFlash BlackThund3r) it just hang on the black screen

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
First off, you have to download and install the Android SDK. When finished, it should install (under Win7) C:\program files (x86)\android\android-sdk

When you install it. make sure you right mouse click and "install as administrator". A good practice to get into when installing things.

Everything you need to know about installing the SDK (including platform tools) can be found here;
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

In there is a folder \Platform-tools. This is where you find Adb And Fastboot. If you hold SHIFT + Right mouse click, you can open a command window there. (win7)

But this is all dependent on whether you installed the correct drivers. Some say Acer Drivers will work. Personally I prefer to use the Google USB Drivers for Android. (google USB Drivers Android).

How do you know your drivers work? Easy, put your tab in APX mode, display will be black but you see the PWR button lit.

Check Windows Device manager with the tablet plugged in. Should list an APX device or Recovery Device. If it doesn't, you need to install the drivers manually by selecting the folder where you extracted the google drivers to. Ignore any incompatibility message.

Whether APX Mode, or Fastboot, Windows should load the specific drivers. If Device Manager doesn't reflect this, then you need to sort it out.

If you want to reflash something using Fastboot, like a boot.img or recovery.img, place the .img file in the same directory as the fastboot command. In most cases with the newer version SDK, it will be in Platform-tools.

The more common fastboot commands can be found in this thread, which I posted the command for recovery.img earlier.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1619913

Last edited:

xgutterratx

Sep 27, 2010
When i open fastboot.exe the window opens for 1 second and then closes again. am i missing something else.

i am starting to think i may have bricked my tab.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
When i open fastboot.exe the window opens for 1 second and then closes again. am i missing something else.

i am starting to think i may have bricked my tab.

Dude, you can't "double click" fastboot.exe. Don't work that way.

As I posted earlier, open a CMD window in the platform-tools folder on your PC.

Then put your tab in fastboot mode (vol+ and PWR) till your tab says "fastboot mode". Then plug it in, and check Windows loads the fastboot drivers. (you should see it loading drivers in the windows taskbar).

After that, then you can run the fastboot command to install a recovery image. "IN THE CMD WINDOW"

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then don't. We can find some other method that may be more comfortable for you.

I can zip up the app that I use, and maybe you should try that first. It uses NVFlash. As I really don't want you to bork things up anymore than they are now. Especially if you're not comfortable with fastboot (you can really bork things up with this).

Give me a little bit, and I'll post something for you guys to try.

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Now, this is the tool I generally use. It requires the tab be in APX mode.
http://www.4shared.com/zip/ycbdG0qY/Ver4_BL_and_CWM.html

Extract the zip to your PC. It contains ver4 unlocked bootloader and CWM. I know this combo works.

Put your tab in APX mode. Connect to PC and verify windows loads the correct APX drivers. Then unplug the tab.

Start the app by "right mouse clicking A500APXFLASH.exe, and select "run as administrator".

Plug your APX Mode Tab into the USB when the app tells you. ( i think you have to do this first, or the app will do it for you. Can't remember, an don't feel like flashing another bootloader to find out)

Get your SBK number (usually I have this in notepad so I can copy and paste it).

Usually I select Manual as I only want to select the Ver4 unlocked.bin and the Thor Recovery and none of the other stuff.

Then I select Automatic when prompted. And follow the prompts when asked.

NOTE: After plugging in your APX mode tab, you may still see a message at the bottom of the app stating "No APX Devices Detected" Ignore this and click Next.

This was a small bug.

Also, sometimes on Win7 you may get a windows error box. Ignore this also and close it.

DO NOT UNPLUG the tab until the apps says complete. The whole process takes about 5 minutes or so to complete.

Then it's safe to unplug the tab. Shut it down, and reboot to recovery to make sure it works.

Also something I want to mention. If you guys installed OTA's, make sure you delete the "boot to recovery.p" in your tabs System file as states in Civato's thread. Otherwise, when you boot normally, it will delete your Custom Recovery, and you'll be doing this again.

MD

Last edited:

Tommmii

Jul 26, 2010
Merchtem
Hi MD,
thx for trying to help out here, much appreciated.
I've just tried your steps, the apx flash utility stays put at "stage two - uploading image..." and the nvflash cmd prompt stays at "[resume mode]". Waited for 10 minutes...nothing.

Is there anything else to try ?

ta,
T

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Hi MD,
thx for trying to help out here, much appreciated.
I've just tried your steps, the apx flash utility stays put at "stage two - uploading image..." and the nvflash cmd prompt stays at "[resume mode]". Waited for 10 minutes...nothing.

Is there anything else to try ?

ta,
T

Well, there's always some tricks to try.

Did you use the Google drivers and verify you tab is registered in Windows Device Manage as APX device or Recovery Device?

To manually go to APX, shut down tab. Put a paper clip in the reset button, and hold. With your other hand, press and hold PWR for 3 seconds, release PWR, then about 1 second later remove paper clip. You should have black display with pwr lite on. Plug in tab and check device manager.

Last edited:

Tommmii

Jul 26, 2010
Merchtem
apx flashutil claims "Acer APX Mode device detected"
device mgr shows "Acer USB Boot-recovery driver" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers"

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
apx flashutil claims "Acer APX Mode device detected"
device mgr shows "Acer USB Boot-recovery driver" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers"

OK, that's good (I had to double check with mine)

Now, did you run the package I posted earlier? Reason is, it uses a .bin file instead of an apx package.

Also, as I am dealing with several other folks, do you have a bootloader when you boot? Like Skirlax_CZ blah blah blah version xxxx?

Tommmii

Jul 26, 2010
Merchtem
I tried the bootloader_ics_v4.bin and the recovery you supplied.
There's no mention of a bootloader on the A501 :(

Supposition : if my cpuid were wrong, would apxflash throw an error?

Tommmii

Jul 26, 2010
Merchtem
A501
I'm beginning to suspect my UID (037c700140c0941) could be wrong.
If so, i'll be stuck up a creek without a paddle

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
A501
I'm beginning to suspect my UID (037c700140c0941) could be wrong.
If so, i'll be stuck up a creek without a paddle

Looks like an HC UID. But it doesn't matter. If this was the UID you pulled under HC. Basically, ICS will change the UID. As a matter of fact, it may change it several times when you install ISC Roms. What shouldn't change, in most cases, is the SBK. Usually the SBK is the same under HC and ICS. At least with my tab it was.

Naw,,,, you still got a paddle. ;)

I got a 501 also.

So tell me, do you have any bootloader at all when you try to boot normally?

Also, you didn't tell me what happened when you tried running the app I posted with the Ver4 unlocked bootloader. Did it work? (don't worry if it said 500 or 501, can fix that later)

Attached is my 501 ver4.bin Throw it in the same directory as the tool I posted.

Attachments

• bootloader_501_Ver4_MD.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Tommmii

Jul 26, 2010
Merchtem
Power On gives the white Acer logo, followed by a bootlogo ("android" metallic type letters) From memmory that could be the stock HC bootlogo. Stuck in a loop though...

VolDown & PWR gives the HC Andy with an exclamation triangle dangling above his head.

edit : just tried renaming SD_Acer_A501_1.309.02_COM_GEN1 to update.zip , it updated the rom but no boot same as above
edit2 : didn't see your attachement...just tried it, stuck at [resume mode] in the nvflash debug window

Last edited:

MrR0ng

Jun 29, 2007
You rock so hard!

The super ridiculous fastboot method worked PERFECT for me. Took me all of 2 minutes. I was pulling my hair out. Thanks so much for the AMAZING support. Love the android community.

Well, first off, your UID is fine. For ICS that is. TimmyDeans tool requires an HC UID. So you can't use it in TimmyDeans. Theoretically the SBK is the same for both in a lot of cases, just the UID number changes. But you have your UID so all is not lost.

Probably just the recovery image got toasted. Also, there are reports that a small percentage of tablets don't get along well with certain version recoveries. No know reason for this.

Can you boot into fastboot mode? (vol+ amd PWR) if so, you can try to fastboot a new recovery image through the android SDK. You can access fastboot through the Android SDK/Platform-tools folder on your PC (open a command window there. Put the tab in fastboot mode, plug in to PC, make sure windows recognizes it as fastboot device.

or

You can try the manual method of NVFlash. Personally I use one of the older tools from BlackThund3r to do this. It's not listed anymore, so if you need it, I'll have to package it in a zip file and post it.

MD

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Power On gives the white Acer logo, followed by a bootlogo ("android" metallic type letters) From memmory that could be the stock HC bootlogo. Stuck in a loop though...

VolDown & PWR gives the HC Andy with an exclamation triangle dangling above his head.

edit : just tried renaming SD_Acer_A501_1.309.02_COM_GEN1 to update.zip , it updated the rom but no boot same as above
edit2 : didn't see your attachement...just tried it, stuck at [resume mode] in the nvflash debug window

Ewwww.... right now, I am at a loss for a plan of attack.

After running the rom, and it updating ok, the Acer with the metallic logo's tells me it's a modified bootloader (I saw this in the earlier unlocked bootloader logos. Ver3 I believe. However, this ver3 I don't believe had flashboot capability.

Ver3 is ok. You can run it. Why we can't get it updated to ver4 right now, is beyond me.

Hmmm.... will have to come up with a different plan.

One thing puzzles me, why when you ran that .... "update", it didn;t put a stock bootloader on it.

Ewwww... too bad you are not near Moscow. I would love to get my hands on it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I am going crazy here.

or

MD
    One more tool to try.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1675939

Also, I asked you post in Skirlax_CZ BL7 thread, not Civato's Instruction thread. ;)
    EDIT : hard reset did occur, then the tab reboots to the acer logo with top left, red letters: "boot verified failed ..."

the hard reset and reflash an HC rom are to fix yr bootlooping...i assume that didnt work??

and u did u notice any 'white' writing on boot-up regarding 'v4 UNL BL'??? u will see something like this when the BL has flashed correctly

the boot verified failed error is normally only fixable by running an EUU to rollback, link to gen1 or gen2 rom in my sig and follow jazzyjames post on How to roll back to HC
    Just got home and thought i would try apx method you suggested above ,and again it just stays on a black screen with the power light white does not go into a download mode.

im pretty sure i have the right drivers installed

drivers.html

this is other info i have that maybe of use.

A500/G100W Serial, Cpuid, Sbk, Bootloader & Android Build Info
    Generated with Afterota Lite v1.06 ( info edition ) by Gersma©
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Tablet Serial : 11619222615
    Tablet Cpuid : 011619222615
    Tablet Sbk : 0xE08D1700 0xC990E001 0x39410303 0x8A74F402
    Android Build : FLEXREAPER-R14_ICS_1.033.00/1.031.00

Generated on 02/06/12 at 16:07 hr
    Archive this file for future reference

in the zip file there a recovery_thor17_403.img is this the file i should use for fastboot.

Well, recovery drivers look ok.

Yes, you can use that recovery image in the zip file. Lot's of other types of recovery's but that one will do.

Not sure whether you will be successful, as it still shows you have an HC bootloader. Only the ICS bootloaders have fastboot, But give it a try.

Always keep your UID numbers. It changes after ICS gets running.
    Since I was on HC 3.2.1 and unable to nvflash my way into a rooted device with recovery, I decided to try the 'old-fashioned' way : revert to unstable HC 3.0.1, obtain root, flash a recovery with Acer Recovery Installer, flash Alexandra III.
    I used the guide here : How to gain root access on Iconia Tab A500 Running HC 3.2.1

And it worked.

@MD : now that I'm merrily paddling down a river, in the company of your excellent Alexandra III, what options do I have to try for an UNL BL & Fastboot?

TIA,
    Tom.

You know, you're going to be a pro on this flashing thing.

Tell you what I saw tonight. As you can see, there were/are a few tabs that just can't flash the bootloader. Interesting, as 1 user solved his problem.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27019574&postcount=6

Not sure exactly what he did, but you may want to send him a PM and see if he has some advice.

He said he used TimmyDeans tool (root tool) to recreate his partitions. Not exactly sure what he meant by that, as the tool basically installs an HC a500 rom for root.