No registration required

[Q] Downloading and Flashing Entire ROM via SP Flash Tool

OP LeStonga

4th June 2012, 02:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts

Hello!

I need some help and I know this is the place to find it!

I have searched for several days all over the internet trying to read and gather information, and I am coming up short.

I know Bruno Martins has posted some information on his blog on how to "readback" (backup) your current rom for your phone, but there is no information on how to flash the entire ROM package back to your phone (at least with regard to the errors you may receive).

Basically, I am looking for some help on how to backup one of my phones entire rom package and put it on my other phone that I messed up via the Smart Phone Flash Tool (the exact same model: Star Touch Diamond 2 B2000 MT6573).

The new phone works perfect, I have never touched it, my old phone which is the same model I deleted and formatted the system so I need to put the stock rom on.

I was able to do a "backup" of my new phone, but when i try to flash the preloader and uboot, etc, the sp flash tool says error loading file, or region too large with overlap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, my phone is not bricked, but I cannot access recovery! I was able to find and install another fully assembled rom to my phone and the phone does power on with lights, but it doesnt have the display driver I need so I cannot see anything.

The reason I flashed another rom was because the phone was essentially bricked and wouldnt do anything, and that was the only rom I could find on the internet that was a full package (preloader, uboot, system, etc) but isnt compatible with phone.

Anyhow, if I understand correctly I need to use hexadecimal calculator to find length of partitions of original phones rom, readback the files, somehow edit the preloader file? then flash them back to the old phone?

Please help!

I would love to make a tutorial of this method with pictures and possible errors for everyone if we could get this solved!

Please point me in the right direction!

And I wanted to thank BRUNO in advance for his hard work and help!!
Last edited by LeStonga; 4th June 2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to Thank a Contributor
The Following User Says Thank You to LeStonga For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th June 2012, 02:40 PM   |  #2  
Flag Washington DC/Va Beach
Thanks Meter: 3

9 posts
More
have you tried the neutrino rom from notorious? its reallllly small around 50mb. you may be able to install that since it so small, then work your way back down? not too sure and i can say im no grandmaster but it might work!

***derp. neutrino... thats for atrix only. but hey same concept. maybe a small barebones rom will get you running enough to get things done properly.
Last edited by stokemonkey; 4th June 2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: misguided
The Following User Says Thank You to stokemonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th June 2012, 02:43 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
Hello stokemonkey!

No, I have not tried the neutrino rom. My main goal is to take my working phone and copy the firmware to my other phone which is the same model. I attempted to flash a rom and then it didnt work out so well (phone still lights up, drivers are not compatible).

I all else fails I can attempt the neurtino rom (as long as you dont have to install from sd card zip file because I cannot!)
4th June 2012, 02:59 PM   |  #4  
Flag Washington DC/Va Beach
Thanks Meter: 3

9 posts
More
the neutrino is an Atrix 4G rom only, so you cant use it and it also needs to be installed via internal so its a no go either way. isnt your phone the china "htc" model? i dont have much user time on an htc so im not too sure what you can do?
again id try to find a barebones that you can flash the way you did with the rom that gave you errors. ill try to do some searching too and see what i can find. let me know if you get anything workin! and if there is someone else out there that can enlighten the both of us help would be appreciated!

and isnt yours like an evo 4g? maybe one of those roms will work?
Last edited by stokemonkey; 4th June 2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: addition
4th June 2012, 08:54 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
Thanks for your response and suggestions. I will try to dish up a small tutorial with how far I can get in the backup/flashing process. I can check for an evo 4g rom and see what the specs are. The current rom I used i believe works, but doesnt have the video driver so the screen has no image. I believe each partition of ram has a set size so you can only flash a rom for the mt6573 chipset which will fit in the available space for each partition and also happens to contain the video, audio, bluetooth, etc drivers.

I have used SP Flash Tool and was able to backup all of the partitions of my working phone but the SP Flash Tool gives all sorts of errors when I try to load the files and flash them to my non-working phone.

The funny thing is that I downloaded files for a different phones rom and was able to flash those to the non-working phone, as mentioned in my previous post, which allows the phone to power on, but the phone doesnt work besides lighting up.

I know it is possible to make a backup of my good phone and flash that rom onto my non-working phone, I just dont know what I am doing wrong.

So far, this is what I have done . . .

1. Installed SDK tools for android
2. Obtained my scatter txt file by using command prompt
3. Used MTKRomStudio to open that file which tells me the addresses of all the partitions and their file sizes
4. Used SP Flash Tool V.2.11.29.00 to "readback" (backup) each individual rom file (preloader, uboot, bootimg, android, dsp, etc)
5. Confirmed the file sizes of each of the above files to what MTKRomStudio said the file size should be
6. Attempted to load these files into SP Flash Tool and get errors such as "partition too large, failed to load", or "partitions overlap".
7. I was able to open some of the partitions such as android, and usrdata but when attempting to flash I receive errors such as "dram error".
8. I was able to download an entire backup of all "readback" files for a different model phone, and each one of those files loaded fine and downloaded to my non-working phone.
9. Just to mention, my non-working phone was completely dead (no power up, no lights) before I flashed the random phone rom I found online, and now at least it powers up (lights up).
5th June 2012, 02:53 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

11 posts
Anyone have any information? I have created a small visual representation of what I have been looking at and messing around with. Let me know!
7th July 2012, 11:32 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Mt6573 phone flash help
Hi all, I need help. I used sp flash tool and flashed the original files to my phone. I then restarted the phone and it would not go past the blue android screen. I let se overnight and still no success. After that i flash the boot and still no progress. Finally i flashed the uboot and now it only lights up but no picture at all. I have used sp flash to try to flash the entire file system back to the mt6573 but it will not flash the recovery, android, or sec_ro files. Can anyone help?
12th August 2012, 06:20 PM   |  #8  
Flag Zurich
Thanks Meter: 8

69 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonX

Hi all, I need help. I used sp flash tool and flashed the original files to my phone. I then restarted the phone and it would not go past the blue android screen. I let se overnight and still no success. After that i flash the boot and still no progress. Finally i flashed the uboot and now it only lights up but no picture at all. I have used sp flash to try to flash the entire file system back to the mt6573 but it will not flash the recovery, android, or sec_ro files. Can anyone help?

Same problem here except I can't flash dsp and preloader

UPDATE : flash worked finaly.my phone is fixed

Sent from my GT-P5110 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by Whistler011; 13th August 2012 at 04:31 PM.
21st September 2012, 09:06 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler011

Same problem here except I can't flash dsp and preloader

UPDATE : flash worked finaly.my phone is fixed

Sent from my GT-P5110 using xda app-developers app

Please share how you did it, i'm in the same position with a MT6573 phone that are stuck on boot, and wont accept the preloaderfile
13th October 2012, 09:49 PM   |  #10  

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtas

Please share how you did it, i'm in the same position with a MT6573 phone that are stuck on boot, and wont accept the preloaderfile

Same here.

Can somebody please post all the files .

I have an Alcatel one touch 918 not d/m/n

It`s the second phone that i have bricked.

Sharing it`s caring.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
flashing, mt6573, sp flash tool, star, star b2000
Previous Thread Next Thread