Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,443 Members 48,858 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Discussion] - HTCLinkify and what it means to you!

Tip us?

scrosler
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 51,133

DONATE TO ME
Lightbulb [Discussion] - HTCLinkify and what it means to you!

I made this thread so people can discuss the addition to HCTLinkify and how it affects you and why it came into existance.

Background:
Apple has a patent on the way Sense (possibly Android 4.0) handles links on screen and how the user interacts with the touch input. Instead of trying to expalin the whole patent dispute I will let you read more HERE

The patent in question is HERE

This is also the reason the delayed Shipping of the HTC One X and the Evo 4G LTE.

Current situation:
HTC has circumvented the patent dispute with the use of HTCLiunkify which simply changes the way it handles the onscreen links. This has caused concern for some users because they feel functionality has been degraded. This is debateble.

My delimna:
Some, handfull of users, are asking me to remove this work around from my ROM and violate apples patended "link" technoilogy. I state that if HTC and Google, Sprint and ATT can be sued so cant I. Maybe this is an unreliatic fear but none the less quite possible.

My Answer: Im not removing at this time but may consider it in the future. ITs functioning the way HTC / ATT intended.

DISCUSS!

Talk about why Apple sucks or you feel this was a good ruling by the courts. Give me a valid reason to take this out of the ROM and risk Apple's wrath (Albiet prolly unrealistic).

More importantly tell me if it even affects you?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scrosler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mykeldrip
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Edit...hope this stop discussion in ur thread....see its open again...
Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

scrosler
Old
Thanks Meter 51,133

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykeldrip View Post
Edit...hope this stop discussion in ur thread....see its open again...
Sent from my HTC One X using XDA
Yeah, I didint want my thread to get embattled with the apple hatred / why wont you change this debate.

Turge
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 19,713

DONATE TO ME
I personally can't stand the half-ass change HTC implemented. When I was running your ROM, I spent a few hours trying to remove it.

The way it's supposed to work is when you click a link to YouTube, Google Play, Google+, etc., it's supposed to prompt you to use the app. If they can no longer prompt because of the lawsuit, they should just redirect the link to the app instead of the browser. Why would anyone want otherwise??

Here's a good example of how stupid it is. When I watch YouTube videos, it's usually from people emailing me a link, sharing it on Google+ or being embedded/linked in a web page. I seldom ever launch the YouTube app to view a video. With their implementation, the YouTube app is virtually useless.

Now, why does your ROM have to have it, but mine doesn't? Mine's obviously based on the Rogers RUU which never implemented the workaround because they didn't have to. But if you successfully removed all AT&T references, we would be left with virtually identical ROMs with different bases. Since your ROM isn't specifically made for US residents, why would that not be ok?

Anyways, discuss

Want to give something in return? Follow our project here.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Turge For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kravguy
Old
Thanks Meter 119
Is there a way to create a flashable mod to remove it so that the user takes responsibility and not the rom developer?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
HTC One
Liquid Smooth 3.1 4.4.4

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kravguy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrjaydee82
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8,355

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turge View Post
I personally can't stand the half-ass change HTC implemented. When I was running your ROM, I spent a few hours trying to remove it.

The way it's supposed to work is when you click a link to YouTube, Google Play, Google+, etc., it's supposed to prompt you to use the app. If they can no longer prompt because of the lawsuit, they should just redirect the link to the app instead of the browser. Why would anyone want otherwise??

Here's a good example of how stupid it is. When I watch YouTube videos, it's usually from people emailing me a link, sharing it on Google+ or being embedded/linked in a web page. I seldom ever launch the YouTube app to view a video. With their implementation, the YouTube app is virtually useless.

Now, why does your ROM have to have it, but mine doesn't? Mine's obviously based on the Rogers RUU which never implemented the workaround because they didn't have to. But if you successfully removed all AT&T references, we would be left with virtually identical ROMs with different bases. Since your ROM isn't specifically made for US residents, why would that not be ok?

Anyways, discuss
I like your way of thinking :)

tyshemi
Old
Thanks Meter 374

DONATE TO ME
I hate the idea of keeping the htclinkify so keep up this way sounds good

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

scrosler
Old
Thanks Meter 51,133

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turge View Post

Anyways, discuss
Good pioint... BUT...

My ROM is (phisicyally) hosted in the US and would therefore need to comply with all US Copright and Patenet laws.

And no... Im not going to buy a server outside of the country to circumvent this, lol

Turge
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 19,713

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjaydee82 View Post
I like your way of thinking :)
LOL.. anyone who knows me knows that I like to challenge things. When I'm told to do something, I do the opposite. (Well, within reason )

Want to give something in return? Follow our project here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turge For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KitF
Old
Thanks Meter 79

DONATE TO ME
Aren't you technically breaking copyright by modifying HTC's software anyway?

Unless somewhere they state that their Sense stuff is free to modify. They provide the source so that people can work use that for open-source AOSP. Sense, I believe (I could be wrong) is NOT open source.