FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Intrusive ads? Post here!

4,017 posts
Thanks Meter: 534
 
By TheRomMistress, XDA Portal Team / Retired Senior Moderator on 7th June 2012, 02:52 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
9th June 2012, 08:05 PM |#11  
galaxy44's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag uk
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
i clicked a reply notification from an email sent by the forum

this is the page it took me to

i blanked out my location to stop aliens tracking me






 
 
9th June 2012, 08:24 PM |#12  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,083
 
More
No offence meant to anyone here, but I'm quite surprised at all of this. Adblocks for Chrome and Firefox are available easily, nobody uses IE anymore and if you're on XDA you probably have a rooted phone and should logically therefore have an adblock app. If you really dislike ads, there's no need to put up with them
The Following User Says Thank You to Nigeldg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th June 2012, 08:38 PM |#13  
roofrider's Avatar
Senior Member
Bangalore, IN
Thanks Meter: 819
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigeldg

No offence meant to anyone here, but I'm quite surprised at all of this. Adblocks for Chrome and Firefox are available easily, nobody uses IE anymore and if you're on XDA you probably have a rooted phone and should logically therefore have an adblock app. If you really dislike ads, there's no need to put up with them

Those without adblocks are doing xda a favour i guess.
9th June 2012, 09:20 PM |#14  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,083
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofrider

Those without adblocks are doing xda a favour i guess.

Don't the ads only work if you click on them? As fas as I know nobody actually clicks on the ads unless it's by accident to disabling them doesn't really have a negative effect on the site
The Following User Says Thank You to Nigeldg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th June 2012, 09:46 PM |#15  
roofrider's Avatar
Senior Member
Bangalore, IN
Thanks Meter: 819
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigeldg

Don't the ads only work if you click on them? As fas as I know nobody actually clicks on the ads unless it's by accident to disabling them doesn't really have a negative effect on the site

I dont click on them, but there are a few which act weird when the mouse hovers over them accidentally. Like this one.
10th June 2012, 12:16 PM |#16  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
New Avast is too annoying, will be migrating our thousands of customers off it
I'm going to haveto agree with the OP in this one.

The advertising is becoming annoying and the re-registering method has been made to be difficult to see where the free option is...

Quickfix I disagree with you, this product is the most popular free Antivirus not because of bull**** advertising, but because of word of mouth!
Now instead of here's a great free AV the word is here is a great free AV with intrusive ads...
10th June 2012, 05:42 PM |#17  
boborone's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Great country of Texas
Thanks Meter: 2,370
 
More
nvm

trm, please delete this post
11th June 2012, 07:57 PM |#18  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
+1
Intrusive pop-ups "mobprizes" visiting XDA with my mobile phone...
11th June 2012, 08:06 PM |#19  
gbohm's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 305
 
More
there were a lot of problems when you tried to access the page from your phone from germany the porn ads were awful
The Following User Says Thank You to gbohm For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2012, 08:37 PM |#20  
Senior Member
Flag Kent
Thanks Meter: 15
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abel06

+1
Intrusive pop-ups "mobprizes" visiting XDA with my mobile phone...

I just had the same thing. I click on 'OK' or whatever it said when i should probably have just used the back button. It took me to the mobprizes thing which is clearly a scam. Hopefully just being taken to the site but not clicking anything wont have installed any malicious (i've literally no idea about android malware/viruses etc.).
14th June 2012, 05:59 AM |#21  
leo321's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Johnson City, TN
Thanks Meter: 329
 
Donate to Me
More
Temp fix for the mobrewards redirect in Android: Change your browser user agent to desktop.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes