Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 41,947 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Vodafone smart II 2 Root + Customized ROMs

Tip us?

bassalh123
Old
(Last edited by Noonski; 27th August 2012 at 10:48 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Service [Q] Vodafone smart II 2 Root + Customized ROMs

Hi XDA,
Just got my self another android phone. It's Vodafone smart II 2 running Android 2.3.7. I found it hard to root using z4root or superoneclick... Anyway did somebody root this phone yet? Is there customized ROMs for this phone? I was messing with this phone and at least I found how to get into recovery ---> Volume up + Power It looks like it has Alcatel one touch hardware I think.... So help me to root this phone please Can I upgrade this to Android 4 ICS?
14/06/2012 - Update 1: I tried the universal androot from this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=747598"] But did NOT
work it has been used to root Alcatel OT-981
- Update 2: I tried the same method used to root Alcatel One Touch Glory 918N from this link http://jcyberinux.com/rjdreyes/how-to-
root-alcatel-one-touch-glory-918n.html BUT I did NOT get anywhere
- Update 3: I tried different superuser.zip files and tried to install from recovery BUT unsuccessful
- Update 4: I tired to install Marina ROM for Alcatel OT990 downloaded from the following link http://forum.xda-developers.com
/showthread.php?t=1556460 But failed to finish the process, the result the phone would NOT reboot. So I had
to restore it.
Is anybody else working on this?
Video tutorial on how to root the device.
http://youtu.be/0LX7_Pn2j4g
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bassalh123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bassalh123
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Thumbs up Root is solved

The root is done. I will make a Youtube tutorial whenever I have a bit of time. Promise!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bassalh123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fpb
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassalh123 View Post
The root is done. I will make a Youtube tutorial whenever I have a bit of time. Promise!!!
Thanks! I've been trying to understand how android devices work since this is my first one and was about to ask you how you have managed to restore your phone after your little accident with it not booting.

Now I read the you have managed to root it!

My main objective is to update some custpack applications with newer versions and remove others. I'll wait for your youtube tutorial.
The Following User Says Thank You to fpb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fpb
Old
Thanks Meter 9
By the way, I just came across a link to the kernel sources from Alcatel:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/alcatel/files/

I got it from another thread here at xda and it was nice to find out that the Vodafone Smart II is there!

Root + kernel sources = ???
The Following User Says Thank You to fpb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bassalh123
Old
(Last edited by bassalh123; 17th June 2012 at 09:24 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Wink How to root Vodafone smart 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpb View Post
Thanks! I've been trying to understand how android devices work since this is my first one and was about to ask you how you have managed to restore your phone after your little accident with it not booting.

Now I read the you have managed to root it!

My main objective is to update some custpack applications with newer versions and remove others. I'll wait for your youtube tutorial.
The tutorial is now available on Youtube under the title How to root Vodafone Smart 2 II it's Published on 17 Jun 2012 by bassalh2025.
XDA would NOT let me to post outside links cause I have less than 10 posts.
To restore it Boot into recovery then choose backup & restore It's an easy process anyway. I suggest to make a backup first just in case if you have an accident like I did with Marinia ROM then it can solve the problem in the future cause as far as I know there is no ROMs available yet for Vodafone smart 2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bassalh123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fpb
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Splendid! After rooting it I have already managed to update Gmail, Twitter, Facebook and OfficeSuite without wasting precious memory. I simply replaced the /custpack/app versions with the new ones, reboot, et voilá!

Thanks for the root method!

Voda_Smart_2
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Hello,

Can you please explain how to recover if phone it is stuck on boot ?
Now just Android image it is displayed on phone and can't enter to boot menu with Power ON + Volume UP buttons.
I jut tried to make backup with CWM got error and now phone it is stuck on boot.

If I connect to USB on PC it prompt for driver but can't find yet any compatible to try fastboot.

thank you.

hunterul7
Old
(Last edited by hunterul7; 18th June 2012 at 04:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default Freeze

Hello,

I have the same problem aswell, do you know exactly the cause of your issue? i think mine is that i used SUPERRECOVERY (a program for another android phone) that messed up my soft and i cannot boot to the RECOVERY mode, key combinations aren't working and i get stuck at green android image logo so i have to remove the battery every time ... Did the root work for you? i presume you rooted your phone before you tried to backup the CWM ? PS: i tried to ROOT my phone with that program SUPERRECOVERY, that is why i messed up my soft, did not had a chance to try the root method provided on this thread ...Vodafone Smart 2 here.

Voda_Smart_2
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Hi,

I had no chance to root the phone, just made backup and after that I try to make backup with CWM and this one killed the phone.
Now I have backup files *.img but I can't find a solution to program this files.

I try to connect to PC but no drivers are found for this device even I try to point to drivers from phone SD card.

It look's like I need drivers for VID_0A5C&PID2132 to try to flash my recovery.img with sw from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1144773
but I can't find it.

hunterul7
Old
Thanks Meter 0
But how did you even manage to use ClockWorkMod because this program can't be used unless your phone is rooted, and what was the point in making a backup with that CWM if the phone already has the Alcatel recovery v1.0.0.0. preinstalled.