Old
Assistant Forum Admin / Moderator Committee / Haggis Muncher
Thanks Meter 8499
Location: NSW, Australia Likes: Anything alcoholic or caffeinated

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf2112 View Post
Getting Started
First, please start here by registering.
This enables you to download the files which are attached to posts.
Just so you know, you don't need to be a member to download attachments
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_scotsman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikef
Old
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 4631
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
Just so you know, you don't need to be a member to download attachments
Thanks for letting me know, I am sure I read that somewhere but I will change it now.
Donate to XDA! -- Please read and follow the XDA Rules -- Please

Useful Guides: XDA New User Guide - XDA Visual User Guide - Getting Moderator Help ----
How To Logcat - How to apply to become a Recognized Contributor/Themer on XDA ----------------------------
Please read all the stickied guides in your device's forums -----------------------------------------------------------------
Click here if you want to find out how to get to 10 posts --------------Remember...Hold Your Fire!

Prawesome
Old
Thanks Meter 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf2112 View Post
Thanks for letting me know, I am sure I read that somewhere but I will change it now.
At the early times,xda allowed downloading from attachment only after registration but as the number of members increased,xda noticed that many people just registered to download the attachment they required and never showed up again.Hence,xda allowed downloading attachments without registering so that the number of guys who are not here to stay(something like that) would be reduced.Read this sometime before.
"Thanks button is just to avoid "thanks" posts in threads. Nothing more than that. Don't ask in signature or post for it and defeat the purpose why it was introduced"
The Following User Says Thank You to Prawesome For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

The-Hulk
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1618

DONATE TO ME
I have added this to my sticky here, lets hope they use this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The-Hulk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fallen Spartan
Old
Moderator Committee - Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
Thanks Meter 4117
Location: Belfast, Ireland Likes: Whiskey & XDA Dislikes: No whiskey

DONATE TO ME
Nice guide, I've actually stuck it to this thread

Little tip - No need to spam every forum with the same guide . All other threads removed
If I have helped you, support Parkinson's
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.” ~ John Lennon

mikef
Old
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 4631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Spartan View Post
Nice guide, I've actually stuck it to this thread

Little tip - No need to spam every forum with the same guide . All other threads removed
Yes sir, I understand after talking to pg101 last night. A number of us RC's just felt that a number of users go directly to their phones forum and tend to stay there, not to this forum and would thus miss it, so we didn't feel it counted as spam in that regard. But we understand and respect your decision. Thank you for stickying it.
Donate to XDA! -- Please read and follow the XDA Rules -- Please

Useful Guides: XDA New User Guide - XDA Visual User Guide - Getting Moderator Help ----
How To Logcat - How to apply to become a Recognized Contributor/Themer on XDA ----------------------------
Please read all the stickied guides in your device's forums -----------------------------------------------------------------
Click here if you want to find out how to get to 10 posts --------------Remember...Hold Your Fire!

Fallen Spartan
Old
Thanks Meter 4117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf2112

Yes sir, I understand after talking to pg101 last night. A number of us RC's just felt that a number of users go directly to their phones forum and tend to stay there, not to this forum and would thus miss it, so we didn't feel it counted as spam in that regard. But we understand and respect your decision. Thank you for stickying it.
True, I understand your point, but if we have it in one location, we can direct all new users to the same place and it also helps you if you only have to update one thread, rather than countless others

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.” ~ John Lennon
The Following User Says Thank You to Fallen Spartan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hopman1
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thumbs up Noob to noobs

Been a reader/member of xda over a year, but haven't made my first post until today. My advice is follow the guides, use the searc and read the forum thread.

By doing this I have successfully rooted and flashed the Captivate and the Galaxy S II. Even got the latter out of a CWM boot loop.

Slow down, think about your problem and then read some more.
The answer is most likely out there, or you have read it before and just need to remember.

T-Macgnolia
Old
(Last edited by T-Macgnolia; 13th June 2012 at 11:09 PM.)
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1857

DONATE TO ME
Okay here is my 2 cents for say. This is just plan confusing to me, I can not lie. Ever sense I first joined XDA I have read post of members bitching about this problem. I have also seen other members get flamed pretty bad over this problem. Now that there is a actual organized effort to subvert this issue some, it is put to a stop???? Just illogical to me.

Now if you see multiple post as spamming the boards, I do apologize for that. But one thread in one location is not enough if the proper steps are not taken. If the one thread method is what is wanted then I suggest this.

One make this a mandatory read for all new members, not just a stickie thread.

Two make this a mandatory subscribed thread for all new members and existing members. Also make it a non removable subscribed thread at least for a year if not never.

Now as time goes by I could probably think of some more to add to this but this is just my initial thoughts. I highly respect all mods and admins but this sort of action toward something that is an effort to help XDA is just not understandable to me.
New to XDA? Please have a read here and here, they are here to help you.
XDA Search Video
S-off explained
Guide on HTC HD2
4EXT Themes, Splash screens, and Bootanimation By T-Macgnolia
XDA-BLOG Writer
RegawMOD Bootloader Customizer for Sensation

Current daily device= Samsung Galaxy Note 2
ROM=TMOUS Stock Multi Window update not rooted
Other devices=TMOUS HTC Sensation 4G,TMOUS HTC HD2 , Acer Iconia A500

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T-Macgnolia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fallen Spartan
Old
Thanks Meter 4117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Macgnolia View Post
Okay here is my 2 cents for say. This is just plan confusing to me, I can not lie. Ever sense I first joined XDA I have read post of members bitching about this problem. I have also seen other members get flamed pretty bad over this problem. Now that there is a actual organized effort to subvert this issue some, it is put to a stop???? Just illogical to me.

Now if you see multiple post as spamming the boards, I do apologize for that. But one thread in one location is not enough if the proper steps are not taken. If the one thread method is what is wanted then I suggest this.

One make this a mandatory read for all new members, not just a stickie thread.

Two make this a mandatory subscribed thread for all new members and existing members. Also make it a non removable subscribed thread at least for a year if not never.

Now as time goes by I could probably think of some more to add to this but this is just my initial thoughts. I highly respect all mods and admins but this sort of action toward something that is an effort to help XDA is just not understandable to me.
Tbh, I liked some of your ideas, especially the subscribing new users to specifc threads. I've passed this onto admin/mods for discussion

The Following User Says Thank You to Fallen Spartan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
captcha y u no go?, getting started in xda, how to get started on xda, how to start on xda, i can't post question in dev section??, user guide, xda new user guide, xda user guide