Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[GUIDE] - XDA New User Guide - Getting started on XDA

OP mikef

10th June 2012, 03:31 AM   |  #11  
the_scotsman's Avatar
Assistant Forum Admin / Moderator Committee / Haggis Muncher
Flag NSW, Australia
Thanks Meter: 9,518
 
10
23,559 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2006
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf2112

Getting Started
First, please start here by registering.
This enables you to download the files which are attached to posts.

Just so you know, you don't need to be a member to download attachments
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_scotsman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2012, 03:38 AM   |  #12  
mikef's Avatar
OP Senior Moderator
Flag Vegas, Baby! Likes:XDA,Android Dislikes:Spammers
Thanks Meter: 4,825
 
5,405 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman

Just so you know, you don't need to be a member to download attachments

Thanks for letting me know, I am sure I read that somewhere but I will change it now.
10th June 2012, 02:35 PM   |  #13  
Prawesome's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Error 404- Not found
Thanks Meter: 1,712
 
9,034 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf2112

Thanks for letting me know, I am sure I read that somewhere but I will change it now.

At the early times,xda allowed downloading from attachment only after registration but as the number of members increased,xda noticed that many people just registered to download the attachment they required and never showed up again.Hence,xda allowed downloading attachments without registering so that the number of guys who are not here to stay(something like that) would be reduced.Read this sometime before.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prawesome For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th June 2012, 12:13 PM   |  #14  
The-Hulk's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Flag You are looking at it
Thanks Meter: 1,734
 
1,318 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Donate to Me
More
I have added this to my sticky here, lets hope they use this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The-Hulk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2012, 02:56 PM   |  #15  
Fallen Spartan's Avatar
Moderator Committee - Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
Flag Belfast, Ireland Likes: Whiskey & XDA Dislikes: No whiskey
Thanks Meter: 4,477
 
10
23,112 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Donate to Me
Nice guide, I've actually stuck it to this thread

Little tip - No need to spam every forum with the same guide . All other threads removed
13th June 2012, 03:02 PM   |  #16  
mikef's Avatar
OP Senior Moderator
Flag Vegas, Baby! Likes:XDA,Android Dislikes:Spammers
Thanks Meter: 4,825
 
5,405 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Spartan

Nice guide, I've actually stuck it to this thread

Little tip - No need to spam every forum with the same guide . All other threads removed

Yes sir, I understand after talking to pg101 last night. A number of us RC's just felt that a number of users go directly to their phones forum and tend to stay there, not to this forum and would thus miss it, so we didn't feel it counted as spam in that regard. But we understand and respect your decision. Thank you for stickying it.
13th June 2012, 04:12 PM   |  #17  
Fallen Spartan's Avatar
Moderator Committee - Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
Flag Belfast, Ireland Likes: Whiskey & XDA Dislikes: No whiskey
Thanks Meter: 4,477
 
10
23,112 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf2112


Yes sir, I understand after talking to pg101 last night. A number of us RC's just felt that a number of users go directly to their phones forum and tend to stay there, not to this forum and would thus miss it, so we didn't feel it counted as spam in that regard. But we understand and respect your decision. Thank you for stickying it.

True, I understand your point, but if we have it in one location, we can direct all new users to the same place and it also helps you if you only have to update one thread, rather than countless others

...........................
You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fallen Spartan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2012, 05:40 PM   |  #18  
Junior Member
Flag Grant
Thanks Meter: 3
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Thumbs up Noob to noobs
Been a reader/member of xda over a year, but haven't made my first post until today. My advice is follow the guides, use the searc and read the forum thread.

By doing this I have successfully rooted and flashed the Captivate and the Galaxy S II. Even got the latter out of a CWM boot loop.

Slow down, think about your problem and then read some more.
The answer is most likely out there, or you have read it before and just need to remember.
14th June 2012, 12:07 AM   |  #19  
T-Macgnolia's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Shannon, Ms.
Thanks Meter: 1,897
 
3,708 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Donate to Me
More
Okay here is my 2 cents for say. This is just plan confusing to me, I can not lie. Ever sense I first joined XDA I have read post of members bitching about this problem. I have also seen other members get flamed pretty bad over this problem. Now that there is a actual organized effort to subvert this issue some, it is put to a stop???? Just illogical to me.

Now if you see multiple post as spamming the boards, I do apologize for that. But one thread in one location is not enough if the proper steps are not taken. If the one thread method is what is wanted then I suggest this.

One make this a mandatory read for all new members, not just a stickie thread.

Two make this a mandatory subscribed thread for all new members and existing members. Also make it a non removable subscribed thread at least for a year if not never.

Now as time goes by I could probably think of some more to add to this but this is just my initial thoughts. I highly respect all mods and admins but this sort of action toward something that is an effort to help XDA is just not understandable to me.
Last edited by T-Macgnolia; 14th June 2012 at 12:09 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T-Macgnolia For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th June 2012, 02:56 PM   |  #20  
Fallen Spartan's Avatar
Moderator Committee - Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
Flag Belfast, Ireland Likes: Whiskey & XDA Dislikes: No whiskey
Thanks Meter: 4,477
 
10
23,112 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Macgnolia

Okay here is my 2 cents for say. This is just plan confusing to me, I can not lie. Ever sense I first joined XDA I have read post of members bitching about this problem. I have also seen other members get flamed pretty bad over this problem. Now that there is a actual organized effort to subvert this issue some, it is put to a stop???? Just illogical to me.

Now if you see multiple post as spamming the boards, I do apologize for that. But one thread in one location is not enough if the proper steps are not taken. If the one thread method is what is wanted then I suggest this.

One make this a mandatory read for all new members, not just a stickie thread.

Two make this a mandatory subscribed thread for all new members and existing members. Also make it a non removable subscribed thread at least for a year if not never.

Now as time goes by I could probably think of some more to add to this but this is just my initial thoughts. I highly respect all mods and admins but this sort of action toward something that is an effort to help XDA is just not understandable to me.

Tbh, I liked some of your ideas, especially the subscribing new users to specifc threads. I've passed this onto admin/mods for discussion

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fallen Spartan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
captcha y u no go?, getting started in xda, how to get started on xda, how to start on xda, i can't post question in dev section??, user guide, xda new user guide, xda user guide
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes