Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,094 Members 50,421 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] - XDA New User Guide - Getting started on XDA

Tip us?

T-Macgnolia
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,886

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDone.vRs View Post
Hello and thank you for posting this! I am indeed a new member and famous I'm not a developer, I work with developers. I hope this forum will tend to my needs as an online guru and make me more wise about how I do things. I really don't know how to get started to be honest. I'm looking to connect with talented and informative developers who would be willing to work with me and make the app industry a better one. Which XDA is already doing I can see.

If you have the time I would like it if you could get me started or possibly introduce me to some talented people among the ranks on this forum.

Great introduction post for me to read!
Thanks!
Nate
I do not know your skill level or how much you know about programming an working with mobile devices. So if any of what I say does not apply to you please take it with a grain of salt and not offence as I only aim to try to help some. I suggest you start with the forum for your current device and any other device you may own. Go to the forum, or forums, and read read read. Try to learn as much as you can about your device or devices. Learn all aspects about them such as processor specific details like what architecture it uses. Find out what kind of internal memory it uses and what format it is in, google is very helpful in doing this. Learn how your device or devices are unlocked and exactly what the unlocking allows the device or devices to do. read heavily in the development forum for your device or devices. Look at the development that is out for your device or is in development for your device or devices.After you feel you have learned all you can about your device or devices then pick out developers from your forum that you think you would like work with and send them PMs detailing you would like to work with them and what services you can provide for them. Also learn how to use the development tools for your device or devices such as the SDK for Android. Last and most importantly be friendly and considerate to any and all members you have contact with and also have patients as everyone here is from different places in the world and vary in the amount of time they spend here on XDA. Hope some of this helps.
New to XDA? Please have a read here and here, they are here to help you.
XDA Search Video
S-off explained
Guide on HTC HD2
4EXT Themes, Splash screens, and Bootanimation By T-Macgnolia
XDA-BLOG Writer
RegawMOD Bootloader Customizer for Sensation

Current daily device= Samsung Galaxy Note 2
ROM=TMOUS Stock Multi Window update not rooted
Other devices=TMOUS HTC Sensation 4G,TMOUS HTC HD2 , Acer Iconia A500

The Following User Says Thank You to T-Macgnolia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mikef
Old
(Last edited by mikef; 18th June 2012 at 04:22 AM.)
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 4,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Macgnolia View Post
I do not know your skill level or how much you know about programming an working with mobile devices. So if any of what I say does not apply to you please take it with a grain of salt and not offence as I only aim to try to help some. I suggest you start with the forum for your current device and any other device you may own. Go to the forum, or forums, and read read read. Try to learn as much as you can about your device or devices. Learn all aspects about them such as processor specific details like what architecture it uses. Find out what kind of internal memory it uses and what format it is in, google is very helpful in doing this. Learn how your device or devices are unlocked and exactly what the unlocking allows the device or devices to do. read heavily in the development forum for your device or devices. Look at the development that is out for your device or is in development for your device or devices.After you feel you have learned all you can about your device or devices then pick out developers from your forum that you think you would like work with and send them PMs detailing you would like to work with them and what services you can provide for them. Also learn how to use the development tools for your device or devices such as the SDK for Android. Last and most importantly be friendly and considerate to any and all members you have contact with and also have patients as everyone here is from different places in the world and vary in the amount of time they spend here on XDA. Hope some of this helps.
Sorry T-Mac, it is a spam user. Good try though. I can spot those within 1 or 2 posts now. PM me and I will tell you how.
Donate to XDA! -- Please read and follow the XDA Rules -- Please

Useful Guides: XDA New User Guide - XDA Visual User Guide - Getting Moderator Help ----
How To Logcat - How to apply to become a Recognized Contributor/Themer on XDA ----------------------------
Please read all the stickied guides in your device's forums -----------------------------------------------------------------
Click here if you want to find out how to get to 10 posts --------------Remember...Hold Your Fire!

EoinCuinn
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblfstr View Post
Nice guide. Think n00bs will read it? That is kind of the downside of n00bs, not reading or searching first. So they never find this.
I'm a new user. Been here for quite a few days now, read a heap of specific posts to device and my old one, and really only saw this out of the corner of my eye. It's a great read, and I agree with the comment that new users should have to read it.

Now to go and sort out my signature
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EoinCuinn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

T-Macgnolia
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,886

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by EoinCuinn View Post
I'm a new user. Been here for quite a few days now, read a heap of specific posts to device and my old one, and really only saw this out of the corner of my eye. It's a great read, and I agree with the comment that new users should have to read it.

Now to go and sort out my signature
Thank you for your post, you serve as a prime example of why I say one thread in one location will not work for this thread to have a major impact on new users. Now a mandatory read is a idea, but how do you know they actually took the time to read it and didn't just scroll down and click on what ever button is there to say "Ok I read it" like so many do when they install new programs or apps and just click accept. A time limit would not work either because they could just wait that time period out and then go about their business. I say if it is posted in other forums this is a sure fire way to up the odds that this is actually read by new users.
New to XDA? Please have a read here and here, they are here to help you.
XDA Search Video
S-off explained
Guide on HTC HD2
4EXT Themes, Splash screens, and Bootanimation By T-Macgnolia
XDA-BLOG Writer
RegawMOD Bootloader Customizer for Sensation

Current daily device= Samsung Galaxy Note 2
ROM=TMOUS Stock Multi Window update not rooted
Other devices=TMOUS HTC Sensation 4G,TMOUS HTC HD2 , Acer Iconia A500

Phrodini
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Sounds legit... If you are used to forums then it should be easier.. Everything makes sense.. just be patient, research, read as op stated... Ive learned a lot on here just by reading what interests me and trying stuff out... Great place

Sent from my SCH-R920 using xda premium

GuyInTheCorner
Old
Thanks Meter 619
Finally someone explained the ranking system! Thanks x10 to OP!

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium
SAMSUNG GALAXY S3
ROM: Stock, no root

GALAXY NOTE 10.1
ROM: Stock, no root

Sold:
HTC Desire HD
Nokia N95 8GB
Sony Erricson W995

HELPFUL LINKS

Ace Think Tank - Noob Friendly Help/Discussion for Desire HD/Inspire 4G

AceRoot IRC Channel

Headphone/Earphone Buying Guide

Fallen Spartan
Old
Moderator Committee - Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
Thanks Meter 4,352
Location: Belfast, Ireland Likes: Whiskey & XDA Dislikes: No whiskey

DONATE TO ME
Rather than every new user posting thanks, can we use the "thanks" button instead. I'm going to remove all thanks posts now
If I have helped you, support Parkinson's
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.” ~ John Lennon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fallen Spartan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ronnie498
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Spartan View Post
Rather than every new user posting thanks, can we use the "thanks" button instead. I'm going to remove all thanks posts now
Should we add please use thanks button instead of a thanks post to the guide?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

mikef
Old
Senior Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 4,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie498 View Post
Should we add please use thanks button instead of a thanks post to the guide?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
I thought that having this:

"I am leaving this open for now, but please, in the spirit of what I have written above, please only post suggestions you feel will improve this guide. I hope this guide helps you and makes your experience on XDA a better one. I appreciate your thanks, but I will appreciate you even more if you take this guide to heart and really do it while you are here. Thank you for reading."

at the bottom would be sufficient to keep people from posting but might need to get the thread closed instead.
Donate to XDA! -- Please read and follow the XDA Rules -- Please

Useful Guides: XDA New User Guide - XDA Visual User Guide - Getting Moderator Help ----
How To Logcat - How to apply to become a Recognized Contributor/Themer on XDA ----------------------------
Please read all the stickied guides in your device's forums -----------------------------------------------------------------
Click here if you want to find out how to get to 10 posts --------------Remember...Hold Your Fire!

Fallen Spartan
Old
Moderator Committee - Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
Thanks Meter 4,352
Location: Belfast, Ireland Likes: Whiskey & XDA Dislikes: No whiskey

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf2112

I thought that having this:

"I am leaving this open for now, but please, in the spirit of what I have written above, please only post suggestions you feel will improve this guide. I hope this guide helps you and makes your experience on XDA a better one. I appreciate your thanks, but I will appreciate you even more if you take this guide to heart and really do it while you are here. Thank you for reading."

at the bottom would be sufficient to keep people from posting but might need to get the thread closed instead.
I would prefer it if other users added tips for new users tbh, ie, from experience........ What to do, look for, help others, become a RC, start deving etc. We want to assist new users so they become the next great devs and inspire future users

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!
If I have helped you, support Parkinson's
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life.” ~ John Lennon

Tags
captcha y u no go?, getting started in xda, how to get started on xda, how to start on xda, i can't post question in dev section??, user guide, xda new user guide, xda user guide