[FAQ] General FAQ for Xperia Ray [FAQ]
General Xperia Ray FAQ
How do I root my phone with a locked bootloader?
It depends on which firmware version you run, but most of the Sony firmwares only requires you to run a software that will root the phone.
The only firmware for Xperia Ray that is unrootable now is the .64 firmware, the only to root a phone that runs that firmware is to downgrade to the .42 firmware using flashtool.
If you want to root the .42 firmware, just download "Flashtool" and enable usbdebugging. Then just press on the unlocked lock.
If you want to root the .562 just download the rooting toolkit by canerpense, and then just enable usbdebbuging and follow the onscreen instructions.
If you want to root the .431 its kinda complicated and its not recommended for noobs that dont know anything about flashing firmware. You can find the tutorial here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1682224
How do I root my phone with a unlocked bootloader the easiest way?
You can either use the same metods as above, but you can also flash one of these kernels:
Kernel for rooting the .431 firmware:
Kernel for rooting the .562 firmware
Kernel for rooting the .64 firmware
How do I unlock the bootloader without loosing my warranty or drm data?
To unlock the bootloader without loosing the warranty or the drm data, you should unlock the bootloader using the testpoint method. You can find how you unlock the bootloader using the testpoint here:
How do I unlock the booloader the regular way?
If you just want to unlock the bootloader the regular way, you can visit Sony Mobiles site and they should have a tutorial that guides you through the whole process. Here is the link to Sonys bootloader unlocking site:
How do I flash a custom kernel the easiest way?
The easiest way to install a custom kernel is to flash it through Flashtool, but it requires a unlocked bootloader:
1. Download and install flashtool from this website: http://androxyde.github.com/Flashtool/
!!!Dont forget to install the drivers for Xperia Ray!!!
2. Then plug in your usbcable and hold volume up at the same time to go into fastboot mode.
3. Launch flashtool and click on the flashbutton, then click on fastboot mode. Then locate the custom kernel you downloaded and open it with flashtool.
4. Now flashtool flashes the kernel, but dont unplug the cable before its finished, that will only lead to a brick.
How do I flash a custom rom on a Xperia Ray with unlocked bootloader?
1. Flash a compatible kernel using the method above, then copy the roms update.zip file to you sdcard.
2. Turn off you phone and press the power button, after pressing the power button you should mash the volume down button to access CWM.
3. Now you should go to "Install zip from sdcard", then you should on the option named "Choose zip from sdcard", then you should browse for the rom that you have pu on your sdcard and let CWM flash it.
4. After flashing the rom you should "Factory reset" your device from CWM and Wipe Dalvik cache. Now its time to reboot, the first boot will take a while but thats because its setting up files for using the device.