Thread Closed

[MOD]HTCLinkifyDispatcher Fix - Oudated. See OP for Steal25's thread.

10th June 2012, 06:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Bear, DE
Thanks Meter: 4,762

5,924 posts
Donate to Me
Edit: This fix is defunct as of the current OTA. For a working version of this software (Thanks Steal25!) check out the thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1947686

I'll be requesting this thread be closed at this point, though I'll leave the files for anyone still on older software versions. It's served it's purpose. Thanks everyone!

Original post:
There are a number of build.prop edits out there for various fixes. One such edit gives back the ability to make a choice of what program you want for a specific action. This was removed by HTC due to Apple claiming a patent infringement of patent #5,946,647. This patent is what caused the Evo 4G LTE to be stuck in customs.

Due to the nature of build.prop files containing many areas that can be tweaked, ROM devs tend to make different tweaks between ROM's. Until now this could have caused issues.

This script makes a backup of your current build.prop, and then EDITS IT IN PLACE.

What does this mean? It means you can flash THIS file on ANY ROM on this phone and it will not mess up any tweaks your specific ROM dev has put in place.

Why is this important? There are a number of build.props edited with this fix (and others)...some of them are from the stock ROM and some are from various other custom ROMs. Simply copying one over your current build.prop could lose you important optimizations, or custom fixes your dev has set up. By flashing this script you keep those customizations and still get the benefit of having your choices back.

Instructions:
To tell if this edit worked for you, check in settings. If the app associations menu option is gone, then it worked.
You will need to clear defaults for specific programs in order to have a choice pop up.

Example:
If you have selected Chrome for your default browser in app associations, you will need to go to menu/settings/apps/downloaded/Chrome/clear defaults.

The next time you tap a URL you will have a choice of which browser to use.

Credits:
Thanks to iconeo for the original thread found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1693809
Thanks to Steal25 for the actual build.prop edits.

I am including two zip files. The first one will make the build.prop change to allow you to choose your own defaults.
The second one (HTCLinkify-revert.zip) will allow you to put your build.prop back to its default.

There are other build.prop edits out there and I will be creating ROM agnostic flashable zips for those as well.

Please let me know if there are any issues with this flash.

Edit: I have uploaded a new zip that should work with the latest OTA.
Attached Files
File Type: zip HTCLinkify-revert.zip - [Click for QR Code] (143.8 KB, 442 views)
File Type: zip HTCLinkify.zip - [Click for QR Code] (179.2 KB, 463 views)
Last edited by smw6180; 21st October 2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Thread closure, pointer to new solution.
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to smw6180 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2012, 06:32 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 6,081

3,915 posts
nice man
so people can flash this and still keep their tweaks

loving the support this phone is getting
10th June 2012, 06:49 AM   |  #3  
Flag Bear, DE

5,924 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by flex360

nice man
so people can flash this and still keep their tweaks

loving the support this phone is getting

Yep, exactly. For people that have a hard time editing build.prop on their own, this will do the trick.

Plus it's the easiest way to re-implement the fix if your ROM dev updates the ROM but doesn't include it by default.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smw6180 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2012, 06:51 AM   |  #4  
Flag NYC AkA GOTHAM!
Thanks Meter: 101

3,040 posts
More
So I'm guessing you can only use this if your phone is rooted right ?

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium
10th June 2012, 06:54 AM   |  #5  
Flag Bear, DE

5,924 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFERRARI23

So I'm guessing you can only use this if your phone is rooted right ?

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

You can only manually edit the build.prop if you're rooted to begin with, so even if you choose not to do it this way, you'll still need root to make the change yourself.

To flash the zip requires root and unlocked bootloader since you need a custom recovery to flash zips.
The Following User Says Thank You to smw6180 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2012, 07:00 AM   |  #6  
Flag Bear, DE

5,924 posts
Donate to Me
Made a correction to the first post. It was Steal25 who came up with the original build.prop edit, not SteelH. Sorry Steal25!
10th June 2012, 09:17 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2,816

8,424 posts
More
Mines ready fixed by me. But still, thanks mass for this.

Edit: thinking about this makes me realize just how bad apple effd HTC. I mean, if I was one of the vast majority of users who dont root and just buy a phone and leave it how it is, I would honestly probably return this device and buy something different. And that would be hard because i love HTC and this device. But, removing the 'complete action using' dialog is just not something I could live with. Apple really, really, screwed HTC... and end users. :screwy:

Sent from my EVO using xda premium
Last edited by scottspa74; 10th June 2012 at 05:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to scottspa74 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2012, 09:34 AM   |  #8  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 269

1,586 posts
It's fantastic, thanks man.
The Following User Says Thank You to john9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2012, 10:43 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 136

555 posts
More
I've been following this issue, and it seems the build.prop fix also works for other HTC ICS phones. I assume this flashable zip would work for those phones as well, correct? Since it's editing in place, seems like it should work for all (One X, One S, Amaze 4G, etc.).
10th June 2012, 10:45 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 67

1,929 posts
thanks, was looking for this mod

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread