5,594,438 Members 34,142 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to partiton sd card from CWM Recovery?

Tip us?

P500T1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Post [Q] How to partiton sd card from CWM Recovery?

Okay, so, I want to flash hephappy's Cyanogenmod 9 (which looks amazing, btw you should check it out) which requires partitoning of the sd card. This is exactly what it says:

-Partition sdcard: swap-size: 64MB, Ext2-size: 300MB, Continue partitioning, SD:ext2 to ext3

So, I already know this means I have to move the contents of my sd card to a computer if I don't want its contents to be deleted. But anyway, how would I do this through ClockworkMod Recovery version 5.0.2.0? Also, for this ROM, is it completely necassary to paartiton my sd caard, what will happen if i don't, because I don't really need apps on my sd card.
Thanks in advance

_Arjen_
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 5671

DONATE TO ME
It's not necessary
Will run perfect without it. If you want to use swap just use an app that creates a virtual swap on your sd.

Send from my phone...
The Following User Says Thank You to _Arjen_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

P500T1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Wait so your saying I don't even need to patition my sd card? Also, what does swap mean? (lol)

me_death
Old
Thanks Meter 4
CWM doesn't give you option for creating a partition of 300mb,it gives either 256 or 512 mb.better use amonRA recovery or 512 mb partition.In order to partition first of all BACKUP all the data of your sd card then boot into CMW then go to advanced then partition then create partition then enter the given values of swap and memory.then wait for a while then you are done!! the memory card will be formated too so copy back the backed up files

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_death View Post
CWM doesn't give you option for creating a partition of 300mb,it gives either 256 or 512 mb.better use amonRA recovery or 512 mb partition.In order to partition first of all BACKUP all the data of your sd card then boot into CMW then go to advanced then partition then create partition then enter the given values of swap and memory.then wait for a while then you are done!! the memory card will be formatted too so copy back the backed up files
I also suggest you better use amonRA it partition is really needed then because according to above required requirements,amonRA recovery fulfills it exactly.you can partition 300mb,with swap size 64 mb and upgrade from ext2 to ext3 in that recovery.

krishvw
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I did this yesterday successfully... Backup ur six card data before u do this, cos it gets erased. In Cwm, go to partition sdcard, select ext size 512(doesn't matter if it's not 300) thn swap size 64. After success, reboot phone, install link2sd, run it, allow superuser access, select ext 2 wen it asks, reboot, open link2sd, goto settings, and select automatic linking.
Voila.. U are done!!
Works on my phone. Tested...

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA

AC DC
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Ever heard of 4ext recovery ??

Sent from my HTC nexus one using XDA
The problem is no man alive, or dead, can touch the Heart Break Kid. Tell your boyfriend that he either has to deal with that fact or hit the road