XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Iconia A500 SOD fix (at least for me)

Tip us?

mayekk
Old
(Last edited by mayekk; 11th June 2012 at 08:23 PM.) Reason: title change
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Iconia A500 SOD fix (at least for me)

I've been dealing with SOD (Sleep Of Death) problem since official OTA ICS update. On HC everything (except calendar) was fine, but after official ICS update I was having SOD almost every sleep longer then few minutes.

Tried WiFi/sync tricks etc.

What helped ? Well..

1. hardware reset (Vol+ / Pwr / RotateLock)
2. factory reset (from Settings Menu)
3. full update via sd card (Vol- / Pwr)

OFFICIAL ROM: 7.014.16 - 041.213.01 - COM_GEN1 (ICS)
(Acer_A500_7.014.16_041.213.01_COM_GEN1_1336732099 520_45282ff4.zip)

and once again:
4. hardware reset (Vol+ / Pwr / RotateLock)
5. factory reset (from Settings Menu)

...I know that hardware & facory reset are pretty much the same, but...It helped...

cscs3
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayekk View Post
I've been dealing with SOD (Sleep Of Death) problem since official OTA ICS update. On HC everything (except calendar) was fine, but after official ICS update I was having SOD almost every sleep longer then few minutes.

Tried WiFi/sync tricks etc.

What helped ? Well..

1. hardware reset (Vol+ / Pwr / RotateLock)
2. factory reset (from Settings Menu)
3. full update via sd card (Vol- / Pwr)

OFFICIAL ROM: 7.014.16 - 041.213.01 - COM_GEN1 (ICS)
(Acer_A500_7.014.16_041.213.01_COM_GEN1_1336732099 520_45282ff4.zip)

and once again:
4. hardware reset (Vol+ / Pwr / RotateLock)
5. factory reset (from Settings Menu)

...I know that hardware & facory reset are pretty much the same, but...It helped...
Does t means I have to re-install all applications?

JeanBubu
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscs3 View Post
Does t means I have to re-install all applications?
yes, but you can use titanium backup or similar app to do it for you...

captainn
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have a A501 and want to get rid of this sod problem. so i took the last "Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 (LEAK)" Rom from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1816560 and tried to install the update.zip file from the sd card. When i get to the recovery it starts but crashes after a few seconds. Do i habe to install a different recovery or unlock my bootloader? I'm a little bit confused...can somebody give me a short hint? Thx.

Moscow Desire
Old
Senior Moderator - Resident Troll Killer
Thanks Meter 4990

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainn View Post
I have a A501 and want to get rid of this sod problem. so i took the last "Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 (LEAK)" Rom from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1816560 and tried to install the update.zip file from the sd card. When i get to the recovery it starts but crashes after a few seconds. Do i habe to install a different recovery or unlock my bootloader? I'm a little bit confused...can somebody give me a short hint? Thx.
This is probably because of a couple of reasons.

1. You didn't do the incremental update. The available update files are incremental patch files, which means you have to have the others installed before you install the latest. Or at least part 1 and 2 of the original leak.

2. You didn't decrypt the file and remove the "update.zip". Generally, you can't just rename these update files to "update.zip". So the latest OTA you took, you should decrypt it "if it needs it", open in 7zip or Winzip and pull the update.zip file and copy that to your EXT SD card.

The final Official release build, was build .021. So if you still get SOD on .021, then chances are you have one of the later revision tablets, and may have to wait a long time until Acer releases another update, as the later revisions only account for a very small percentage.

Or, you can install the unlocked bootloader, and try one of the newer kernels we have.

MD
"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Read XDA Rules which can be found HERE

Though I walk among the trolls, I fear them not, for I am the Troll King
Killen dem Trolls since 2011
Acer Iconia A701***A501***ExPlay X-Tremer***HTC Desire***Desire S
The Following User Says Thank You to Moscow Desire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

captainn
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscow Desire View Post
This is probably because of a couple of reasons.

1. You didn't do the incremental update. The available update files are incremental patch files, which means you have to have the others installed before you install the latest. Or at least part 1 and 2 of the original leak.

2. You didn't decrypt the file and remove the "update.zip". Generally, you can't just rename these update files to "update.zip". So the latest OTA you took, you should decrypt it "if it needs it", open in 7zip or Winzip and pull the update.zip file and copy that to your EXT SD card.

The final Official release build, was build .021. So if you still get SOD on .021, then chances are you have one of the later revision tablets, and may have to wait a long time until Acer releases another update, as the later revisions only account for a very small percentage.

Or, you can install the unlocked bootloader, and try one of the newer kernels we have.

MD
Thanks for your replay. So what i did was to install all available OTA updates. Then i downloaded the full package Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 (LEAK) from the site above, extracted the update.zip from this archive and put it on the external sd card. i think that is all i have to do. And my current build number is Acer_AV041_A501_1.021.00_EMEA_DE...so don't know exactly if "[LEAK]Acer A501 ICS (COM_GEN1). Build number 041.126.01" is the same version.

And i tried to unlock my bootloader but the next funny thing is that i tried that Afterota-Tool, but it stucks at 3/4 "Flashing recovery...".

I don't want to loose my 3G-Feature and i saw that nearly all roms are only for A500. Which kernel and rom would you recommend for me?

Looking forward for your replay. Thx a lot!

Moscow Desire
Old
Thanks Meter 4990

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for your replay. So what i did was to install all available OTA updates. Then i downloaded the full package Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 (LEAK) from the site above, extracted the update.zip from this archive and put it on the external sd card. i think that is all i have to do. And my current build number is Acer_AV041_A501_1.021.00_EMEA_DE...so don't know exactly if "[LEAK]Acer A501 ICS (COM_GEN1). Build number 041.126.01" is the same version.

And i tried to unlock my bootloader but the next funny thing is that i tried that Afterota-Tool, but it stucks at 3/4 "Flashing recovery...".

I don't want to loose my 3G-Feature and i saw that nearly all roms are only for A500. Which kernel and rom would you recommend for me?

Looking forward for your replay. Thx a lot!
You current build is cooked my friend. Unless you want Acer repair.

Most of all OTA ICS Updates are Com Gen 1 now. Not sure what acer had in mind. But I believe it has duetch or danish language.

You have to use a 501 update if you want to use 3g and GPS.

My question, were you successful in booting to your system after installing the updates correctly? That is my primary question. If so, make sure you have USB debugging turned on.

But I need to know exactly what your tablet is in now before going further. Does it boot into the OS after running the updates?

MD
"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

The Following User Says Thank You to Moscow Desire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

captainn
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
You current build is cooked my friend. Unless you want Acer repair.

Most of all OTA ICS Updates are Com Gen 1 now. Not sure what acer had in mind. But I believe it has duetch or danish language.

You have to use a 501 update if you want to use 3g and GPS.

My question, were you successful in booting to your system after installing the updates correctly? That is my primary question. If so, make sure you have USB debugging turned on.

But I need to know exactly what your tablet is in now before going further. Does it boot into the OS after running the updates?

MD
I don't know exactly which updates you are talking about. I installed all the available ota updates and the tablet booted correctly after this. If you mean any other update via sd-card i can only tell you that i was not able to install one of them. what do you mean with "cooked"? sorry for stupid questions

My USB debugging ist turned on, firewall and uac off.

Thx.

Moscow Desire
Old
Thanks Meter 4990

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I don't know exactly which updates you are talking about. I installed all the available ota updates and the tablet booted correctly after this. If you mean any other update via sd-card i can only tell you that i was not able to install one of them. what do you mean with "cooked"? sorry for stupid questions

My USB debugging ist turned on, firewall and uac off.

Thx.
The only stupid question, is the one that doesn't get asked

What is the current version you are on? (settings/about tablet) The current build should be .021

MD

captainn
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
The only stupid question, is the one that doesn't get asked

What is the current version you are on? (settings/about tablet) The current build should be .021

MD
Android 4.0.3
Kernel 2.6.39.4+
Image Acer_AV041_A501_RV20RC05_EMEA
Build Acer_AV041_A501_1.021.00_EMEA_DE
P/N FM.S14A0.02A

Is it all you need?