LeWa ("Happy/Funny Frog") comes to us from China and is a MIUI-inspired ROM based on CyanogenMod 7. It's an incredibly lightweight ROM made primarily for yesteryear devices comparable in specifications to our Evo 4Gs. Don't let its sub-100 MB size fool you, though. It's still filled to the brim with features, such as built-in power and battery management, CPU control, and memory clearing. I can confidently recommend LeWa for daily use.
This ROM is stable out of the box. I try to keep my modifications to a minimum and stick to the spirit of the original work.
- Double-tapping the lock icon on the lock screen will bring up music controls.
- Press volume-down and menu at the same time to take a screenshot.
- Pressing on the data usage statistics in the notification panel will bring you to a screen where you can slide to the right to change your "Monthly data limit."
- Pressing the green orb in the notification panel will kill all open apps. Holding it will bring up its whitelist. (You likely want to add your input methods (Swype, Swiftkey, etc) to this.)
- You may put *.apk files in /sdcard/APK/ to have them automatically install when flashing the ROM.
- If you're a chatterbox, be sure to turn on SMS splitting in Message Settings.
This is a pretty solid ROM. Its official versions are released for both MDPI and HDPI devices, and most of the devices that LeWa supports are on the weaker side of the hardware specification spectrum. As such, there should not be any lag or resource issues with the Evo 4G. Indeed the vanilla ROM weighs in at ~75 MB and with my additions, it weighs in at ~95 MB.
- Mason-G-d15rc4-sbc-supersonic has been added.
- QuickPic replaces stock gallery app.
- MX Player has been added.
- Mi FileExplorer replaces LeWa's "SD Manager."
- Jorte Calendar replaces "Calendar 365"
- A themed version of Swype has been added.
- Swapper, CStore, Gexin, and other unlocalized apps have been removed.
- WiMAX has been added.
- CMParts has been added.
- Battery Bar has been added.
- PDroid has been added.
- MIUI Torch has been added.
- Modded News & Weather has been added.
- Modded Play Store has been added.
Ordered by descending priority.
[!] The ICS lock screen available in the theme manager will ruin your day. Do not download it. There are multiple reports of it causing the phone not to boot.
[-] Localization could use some more work, especially certain poorly translated strings.
[!] correction is unknown | [?] unable to confirm bug | [-] correction coming soon
If I missed you, send me a PM.
Swiperat - remove roaming indicator
ajrty33 - auto-connect to data network without having to go to APN settings
LOTK & Team DIRT - I learned quite a bit tinkering with Deck's ReLoaded.
LeWa OS Team - developing the user experience that's built into this ROM
CyanogenMod Team - developing drivers, APIs, frameworks, and resolving many device-specific issues, all of which made porting this a breeze.
AOSP - developing the core components and framework of Android.
MIUI - provide much of the design inspiration that goes into LeWa OS
MIUI.us, Swiperat, et al. - major kudos to you guys for your work on porting MIUI. I can only imagine how much of a pain in the ass it would be to port one of these ROMs without a CyanogenMod base. You bros deserve special recognition for that.
Common Concerns and Queries
Please read through these before asking for help.
- Circaflex offers some guidance to get Visual Voice Mail (VVM) working.
- s8perman confirms that this ROM works with a2sd.
- Backlight is activated on incoming message, and there doesn't appear to be a way to disable that functionality.
- RockoDev Beats Audio can be added by downloading and flashing "ICS & GB BeatsAudio"