Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,862 Members 44,761 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Use Android Phone as NFC Tag?

Tip us?
 
Nightskill
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 35
Join Date: Feb 2010
Default Use Android Phone as NFC Tag?

Hello there,

is it possible to use my HTC One X as an NFC Tag?

My goal is to scan a normal NFC Tag (1k) with my phone and store the informations. And then I'll provide this informations with my phone, so an other NFC Reader can read the informations stored on my phone.

Greetz
 
iankellogg
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 72
Join Date: Jun 2010
It is possible as the NXP chip most likely used by the HTC (and known to be in Nexus S/galaxy) can be put into card emulation mode but the current kernel does not support it. There has been at least one user that has gotten it to work on the Nexus S.
 
Bardamuz
Old
#3  
Bardamuz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 100
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightskill View Post
Hello there,

is it possible to use my HTC One X as an NFC Tag?

My goal is to scan a normal NFC Tag (1k) with my phone and store the informations. And then I'll provide this informations with my phone, so an other NFC Reader can read the informations stored on my phone.

Greetz

Hi i believe NFC ReTag will do the trick , or at Least NFC TagReader , can also be use as ask Ö but that will depend on what you will store in Ö as you didnít say it icanír help you more at this stage.

hope that help
Working on NFC stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to Bardamuz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Mustang46L
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 38
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: York, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightskill View Post
Hello there,

is it possible to use my HTC One X as an NFC Tag?

My goal is to scan a normal NFC Tag (1k) with my phone and store the informations. And then I'll provide this informations with my phone, so an other NFC Reader can read the informations stored on my phone.

Greetz
I'd really like to do the same thing.. but haven't had any success in finding a way to do that. I would personally love to scan my work badge and use my phone instead of my badge which I commonly leave at home. It would also be great for hotels where I commonly lose my hotel key and could instead use my phone.

Any advice on these being a possibility. Any additional information I need to provide. I personally have the HTC EVO 4G LTE and my wife has the Nexus S 4G that I could use.
 
okz19
Old
(Last edited by okz19; 14th June 2012 at 02:03 PM.) Reason: added card write info
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 31
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default card emulation

try NFClassic.apk its in the android market, i cannot confirm it works but it appears to and i will test it tomorrow, it recognises my work card it picks up 2 tags, one will be door access and the other is canteen credit, (the app doesnt tell you this, but i know there 2 parts to the card, as i recently cancelled a card then found it, and can no longer access doors with it, but can still use it in the canteen) anyway the app reads the card and asks if you want to save the info, save it, the you will see it under saved tags click the tag, and click share tag, it then appears to emulate the tag as a card so it can be read by a nfc card reader, but i dont have a reader to confirm this, but i will try it tomorrow night at work to see if the doors accept it, ill let you know my results

and if anyone else know of any apps that can definatley emulate cards on galaxy s 3 let me know ! the more software i can try at work the more likely ill find one that works, i only got my s3 yesterday and have been of work so havnt tested any app, but NFClassic is the only one that appears to emulate my card.

note the app cannot write cards, only has options to write contact to card but when tried it force closes. i would definatly like to be able to write to card if at all possible ( free lunch :P copy card when it has credit , when run out of credit, re-write info = credit again its gotta be possible somehow ! )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to okz19 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
LoveNFC
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 62
Posts: 161
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by okz19 View Post
try NFClassic.apk its in the android market, i cannot confirm it works but it appears to and i will test it tomorrow, it recognises my work card it picks up 2 tags, one will be door access and the other is canteen credit, (the app doesnt tell you this, but i know there 2 parts to the card, as i recently cancelled a card then found it, and can no longer access doors with it, but can still use it in the canteen) anyway the app reads the card and asks if you want to save the info, save it, the you will see it under saved tags click the tag, and click share tag, it then appears to emulate the tag as a card so it can be read by a nfc card reader, but i dont have a reader to confirm this, but i will try it tomorrow night at work to see if the doors accept it, ill let you know my results

and if anyone else know of any apps that can definatley emulate cards on galaxy s 3 let me know ! the more software i can try at work the more likely ill find one that works, i only got my s3 yesterday and have been of work so havnt tested any app, but NFClassic is the only one that appears to emulate my card.

note the app cannot write cards, only has options to write contact to card but when tried it force closes. i would definatly like to be able to write to card if at all possible ( free lunch :P copy card when it has credit , when run out of credit, re-write info = credit again its gotta be possible somehow ! )
You can try, but it's probably not going to work.
 
ascsa
Old
#7  
ascsa's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 201
Posts: 575
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardamuz View Post
Hi i believe NFC ReTag will do the trick , or at Least NFC TagReader , can also be use as ask Ö but that will depend on what you will store in Ö as you didnít say it icanír help you more at this stage.

hope that help
NFC ReTag canīt do that ... but a lot of other cool stuff
 
azy141
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 23
Join Date: Sep 2011
I tried nfclassic and that didn't work I'm also looking for NFC card emulation
 
freerein100
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 19
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lake Charles, LA
I'm not sure about other phones but Evo4GLTE's have Android beam that should do what is wanted
 
nokios
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 25
Posts: 59
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Norristown, PA
This didn't even occur to me til I saw this thread. I will be trying with my work badge since I occasionally forget mine as well...

I am still deciding between getting the S3 and the EVO 4G LTE. Leaning towards evo... but haven't played with the s3 yet.
CURRENT:
Device->Evo 4G LTE
Rom->Sense 5
Unlocked and S-OFF
Recovery->TWRP 2.6.2.0


PREVIOUS:
HTC EVO 4G
Recovery: RA-supersonic-v4.3-smelkusMOD
ROM: Classic v0.1.0

Previous Roms:
MIUI-2.6.8 (Runs haltingly.. )

Previous:
HTC Hero (Sprint)

The Following User Says Thank You to nokios For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes