[ROOT][HOW-TO]Working Root Method for ICS 4.0.4

Search This thread

Die Bruine

Jan 2, 2008
Did you update ADB? And make sure you have the USB drivers from ADB. Also check your hardware under device manager. Perhaps it's disabled or "not installed".
Are you running Vista/W7? Try running the shell as an administrator.

Reactions: Grizzy3

Grizzy3

Jan 7, 2012
Did you update ADB? And make sure you have the USB drivers from ADB. Also check your hardware under device manager. Perhaps it's disabled or "not installed".

How do you update adb? I just used what was included with the zip file. Wdym by usb drivers from adb? I have the motorola drivers installed from the motorola site. I'm able to connect my phone to my pc and transfer files and stuff. For some reason adb just doesn't detect my phone. I'm running windows 7. Ill try reinstalling drivers and checking the device manager when I get off work though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Die Bruine

Jan 2, 2008
Grab the latest ADB here. Just download, install and make sure ‘Android SDK Platform-tools’ and USB drivers (bottom) are selected. Click install/accept all and you should be ready to go.

Reactions: Grizzy3

Grizzy3

Jan 7, 2012

Die Bruine

Jan 2, 2008
Good everything is resolved. Still not sure wether to upgrade from .200 to .208. Got no complaints so far su I guess I'll just stick with .200 until the official release.

BTW, soccer is not for me. Hate sports where grown ass men pretend, fake, dramatize, act hurt, be silly.....etc etc :D .

mj084

Sep 26, 2008
@Rick#2

works like a charme!

great job :)

EDIT:

but busybox wasn't copied to system/xbin

Last edited:

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
Yeah, I didn't bother putting provisions in the script to put that particular busybox binary on /system/xbin because there are better ones that you can download manually. If you want to keep that one, it's pretty easy from within the phone on a terminal like Better Terminal Emulator or the staple Terminal Emulator.

Unzip the ICS404root.zip file to an easy to remember folder (for example, C:\d4root) and navigate to the folder you unzipped it to in the Windows Command Prompt. (Windows Key+R, cmd.exe, <enter>)

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\User\....\ > cd c:\d4root
C:\Documents and Settings\User\....\ > adb shell

Then in the Android shell:

Code:
$ su
$ mount -o remount,rw /system /system
$ exit

Then again in the Windows Command Prompt:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\User\....\ > adb push busybox /system/xbin
C:\Documents and Settings\User\....\ > adb chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox
C:\Documents and Settings\User\....\ > adb chown 0.2000 /system/xbin/busybox

Done.

mj084

Sep 26, 2008
After getting root, i moved them manuelly with root explorer, and set permissions with it too.

what's the effect of this?
Code:
chown 0.2000 /system/xbin/busybox

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
0 means the owner is root, 2000 means the group is shell. Not entirely necessary but it doesn't hurt to keep things proper. ;)

You can usually just enter "chown root:shell (note the usage of the period above though, that is correct and not a typo, although sometimes you can get away with a colon in that form too) but some busybox binaries don't have those sorts of functionalities such as automatically linking the user/group aliases to their digital representation built into the commands in an effort to conserve memory in embedded devices. Makes it a ***** for compatibility, but if you stick to the most widely accepted (albeit unintuitive) form you'll be okay.

Sent from my XT894 using xda premium

mj084

Sep 26, 2008
ok understand...

is there another way for root explorer for setting owner?

i got these error when i want to push busybox to phone:

Code:
 failed to copy 'busybox' to '/system/xbin/busybox' : Permission denied

EDIT:

ok got tip and found it in root explorer...holding the file and sroll down to change owner...

Last edited:

mintume

Dec 20, 2010
Pune
Google Pixel 4a
Grab the latest ADB here. Just download, install and make sure ‘Android SDK Platform-tools’ and USB drivers (bottom) are selected. Click install/accept all and you should be ready to go.

i installed package and this installed android sdk. when i run sdk, it gives me below attached screen where i can't find USB drivers option:

i updated my sony pc companion suite also.

i am trying to root xperia ray ICS 4.0.4 but i am getting access denied error when i run automated script.

camera mode means, simply to start the camera on my ray or something else?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 228

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
I don't know if this method works for the Xperia, the vulnerability that this focuses is Motorola-specific from what I can tell. I haven't tried it out on any other phones than the Droid 4 though, so who knows.

Aren't there better ways to root the Xperia running 4.0.4 out there?

Sent from my XT894 using xda premium

PS4AndroidHacker

Jul 11, 2009
Dalton,Ohio
www.facebook.com
Any quicker root method known?

Hey guys, I just purchased a Droid 4 tonight. I recently have moved up from my rooted Droid 2 to a newer Droid 3,I've had my Droid 3 for a week and just got ahold of our latest and greatest Qwerty phone. I'm a noob with the Droid 4 but not with rooting and using ADB and all that. My question is simply? Is there any easier rooting methods that anybody knows of so far? Like Petes Motorola Root Tools or anything? I'm just interested and I will follow along closely with this thread. Thanks for any future help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** Update ****************
    Posted a .zip with scripts for both Windows and *nix users to automate the process.

Linux:
    -----
    Unzip the contents of the attached ICS404root.zip anywhere on your computer and run the script aptly named "runme_root_script.sh". It should take care of the rest. Make sure you have USB Debugging enabled and you put the phone in Camera mode, not mass storage device.

Windows:
    ---------
    Unzip ICS404root.zip wherever you want and then run "rootscript.bat". Make sure you have USB Debugging enabled and you put the phone in Camera mode, not mass storage device.

Credit to miloj for finding this technique on the Transformer. (See the thread noted below and be sure to thank him!) I modified it to work on our devices.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1704209

I'll put together a script to automate this process shortly, but if you're antsy like me, here's the lowdown:

1. Download the following files:

su: http://db.tt/ShPzea6I
    debugfs: http://db.tt/bGFh43LZ

2. Save the two files downloaded above on /sdcard. (ie: mount your sdcard in windows and copy them over, or "adb push" them to /sdcard).

**Make sure you have your phone on Mount Camera mode, not as a mass storage device; otherwise, you won't be able to access your /sdcard directory via adb. **

3. In a linux terminal/Windows command prompt:

Code:
    adb shell

shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ cd /sdcard
    shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ cp su /data/local/12m/
    shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ cp debugfs /data/local/12m/
    shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ cd /data/local/12m
    shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ chmod 755 debugfs
    shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ chmod 755 su
    shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ mv batch batch.bak
    shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ ln -s /dev/block/mmcblk1p20 batch
    shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ exit

adb reboot

4. While you are waiting for the phone to reboot, type the following into your terminal/command window:

Code:
    adb wait-for-device shell

5. Once you're back into the android shell:

Code:
    shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ rm batch
    shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ mv batch.bak batch
    shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ /data/local/12m/debugfs -w /dev/block/mmcblk1p20

(The following is entered at the "debugfs:" prompt)

debugfs: # cd xbin
    debugfs: # write /data/local/12m/su su
    debugfs: # set_inode_field su mode 0104755
    debugfs: # set_inode_field su uid 0
    debugfs: # set_inode_field su gid 0
    debugfs: # quit

shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ rm su
    shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ rm debugfs
    shell@cdma_maserati:/ $ exit

adb reboot

Done deal. Now you've got the "su" binary pushed to your /system partition and set with the proper permissions for execution. Download the Superuser app from the market and you're good to go. Make sure you update the su binary within the Superuser app as well to make sure you're up to date.
    BTW, you might wanna update the OP. Do not batch the commands under windows. I tried several times.

I don't know, it seemed to work fine for me with the script I made. Anyways, glad it worked out for you.

Now that we can re-root as well as (somewhat convolutedly) fastboot ourselves back on track, we're good to go.
    I put it in camera mode and made sure usb debugging is enabled. Then I ran the script for windows. Still getting the device not found error throughout. Really don't know what's going on.
    Maybe delete and re-install USB drivers on your PC.