5,596,235 Members 34,329 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: How should we respond to the Samsung MHL controversy?
Encourage people to avoid Samsung's MHL adapters. 4 18.18%
Boycott the Galaxy SIII entirely! 4 18.18%
Companies do slimy stuff - get used to it. 10 45.45%
I have no idea what you are going on about. 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Samsung's MHL connector controversy - how to respond?

Tip us?

Tomaxda
Old
(Last edited by Tomaxda; 14th June 2012 at 03:47 PM.) Reason: Removed pejorative word from title ('scam')
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Question Samsung's MHL connector controversy - how to respond?

I decided to buy the GSIII after hearing that Samsung had made a great phone, done a decent job of preventing the carriers from ruining the phone, and had become a top level member of the Linux foundation to boot!

But then I heard about the MHL connector scam - and that is one slimy move. Note that it is not only incompatible with the MHL standard, it is incompatible with other Samsung MHL cables. (If Samsung has issued some sort of clarification or explanation then please let me know.)

If I keep looking for perfection amongst the manufacturers I will never get a new phone, but I certainly don't want to simply turn a blind eye to this obnoxious move. If this is successful for Samsung, I can see them creating a fresh batch of incompatible connectors for every new device they create.

I was disappointed that Apple users never raised a fuss through all those years when Apple kept getting rated as the worst environmental offender in the Consumer Electronics industry, but one of the things that sets Android users apart from Apple users is the lack of blind brand loyalty.

So, is there an informal boycott of Samsung accessories afoot?

I guess I'm suggesting that the XDA community could discourage people from buying any of Samsung's "trick" accessories, including their fake MHL and PDMI connectors. I hope consumers will come to realize that, while Samsung makes great phones, their accessories are not a good choice, and I hope that Samsung will come to realize doing stuff like this isn't worth it.

Obviously, the less money they make from this slimy move the less likely they are to repeat it. The outcome is up to us.

[I'm posting in General forum rather then GSIII because I believe this issue - connectors, standards, and taking action - is of general relevance.]
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomaxda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

eksasol
Old
(Last edited by eksasol; 14th June 2012 at 02:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 665
Get ready for a horde of blind Samsung fanboys to flame you, they are just as bad as Apple fanboys. I actually read about this MHL issue. But at least they released the source code for their international device.

For me, personally, I think MHL adaptor is stupid, its clunky and inconvenient, too many wires involved. A dedicated microHDMI connector solution was better, but manufacturers abandoned it to save money because they have to put in another connector and pay royalty. I like the idea of the royalty free DisplayPort, but there is no micro version of it yet.

I'm probably not getting the SIII unless its price drops a lot since the Nexus is still the best phone software wise.

I'm imagining/wishing 2-3 years from now all phones will have a built in projector, but not sure how they'll keep it small.

Tomaxda
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default An update - still appears that the port is a fake

I did my best to get an answer from the MHL Consortium but they would not respond - even to simple question such explaining how a consumer can distinugish an MHL compliant product. But it is a consortium, not a standards body - it represents member companies, not consumers, so I guess this is to be expected. The media types remain confused too.

I put together a quick website to try to inform consumers about this:
http://www.galaxymhl.com/

I believe that Android users are not the 'sheep' that iPhone users are (as evidenced by XDA itself) and I hope we can influence Samsung on this by encouraging consumers to not buy their 'fake' MHL accessories.

Even if Sammie just stops using the MHL branding with the phone and the accessories it will be a big improvement. As things stand, they are really undermining the standard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomaxda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tomaxda
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Thumbs up Update!

I have received a complete explanation and have posted it there:
http://www.galaxymhl.com/

I'm pleased that, in the end, the advantages of the 11-pin MHL port on the SGS3 are significant enough to allay the initial suspicions that this was just about selling more accessories.

On the other hand, wow, was it ever a ton of work to get a clear explanation - would have thought they would have wanted to explain this clearly from the beginning. At the very least, I might have thought they would posted a clear explanation to a relevant wikipedia article once all the WTF articles started appearing.

PasqualeITA
Old
Thanks Meter 22
It works for Galaxy W?

Inviato dal mio IPhone 5

Tomaxda
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasqualeITA View Post
It works for Galaxy W?

Inviato dal mio IPhone 5
I believe the Galaxy W does not support MHL.

Tularis
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaxda View Post
I have received a complete explanation and have posted it there:

I'm pleased that, in the end, the advantages of the 11-pin MHL port on the SGS3 are significant enough to allay the initial suspicions that this was just about selling more accessories.

On the other hand, wow, was it ever a ton of work to get a clear explanation - would have thought they would have wanted to explain this clearly from the beginning. At the very least, I might have thought they would posted a clear explanation to a relevant wikipedia article once all the WTF articles started appearing.
Yes, finally I got it. So if I've understood it well, The official MHL adapter works fine to allow you HDTV signal (HDMI) and USB OTG at the same time but... every review I read says that the MHL adapter needs power in its microUSB connector, so has anyone tested if it is possible to get USB OTG in that connector ()??

Thank you very much in advance!

Tomaxda
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tularis View Post
Yes, finally I got it. So if I've understood it well, The official MHL adapter works fine to allow you HDTV signal (HDMI) and USB OTG at the same time but... every review I read says that the MHL adapter needs power in its microUSB connector, so has anyone tested if it is possible to get USB OTG in that connector ()??
I don't have the actual adapter (was boycotting it) so I can't say anything concrete, but I believe that what you are saying conflicts with the explanation that I received. The Samsung adapter for the Galaxy SIII is supposed to be able to get its power from the phone - no need for power from a separate USB cable. The adapter in question is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-HDMI-E.../dp/B0080CXSOU

Can you give me a link to one of these reviews that says otherwise?

Tularis
Old
(Last edited by Tularis; 21st July 2012 at 12:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaxda View Post

Can you give me a link to one of these reviews that says otherwise?
Sure, here for example:

clove.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-s3-mhlhdmi-adaptor

It says:

"Please note: For the MHL cable to work you will need to have it connected to mains power."

So I don't really know what to think...Maybe you can power it using a Hub...

At first when I saw the S3 MHL adapter I though in using this connection scheme:

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/341/mhlotg.png

But I've been told that this is not going to work. I have not tested it yet but maybe its a matter of the USB OTG cable used or one of them should not be OTG, I don't know. But I have not been able to find any website or review that shows both, USB OTG + MHL, wroking at the same time and for me that is suspicious...

EDIT: sorry for links but I'm not able to use them yet...Copy+Paste

Tomaxda
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tularis View Post
Sure, here for example:

clove.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-s3-mhlhdmi-adaptor

It says:

"Please note: For the MHL cable to work you will need to have it connected to mains power."

So I don't really know what to think...Maybe you can power it using a Hub...

At first when I saw the S3 MHL adapter I though in using this connection scheme:

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/341/mhlotg.png

But I've been told that this is not going to work. I have not tested it yet but maybe its a matter of the USB OTG cable used or one of them should not be OTG, I don't know. But I have not been able to find any website or review that shows both, USB OTG + MHL, wroking at the same time and for me that is suspicious...

EDIT: sorry for links but I'm not able to use them yet...Copy+Paste
Thanks for supplying that link. I will try to contact Clove to see whether perhaps they just added that disclaimer about needing power because past MHL adapters needed it.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe