14th June 2012, 11:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,549

951 posts
Donate to Me
More
Root IS required !!

This mod will add init.d support to any rom even stock roms without editing the ramdisk. Instead it uses the post_boot.sh file that is in most if not all roms. It should work on most devices, if it does not work on yours please look in /system/etc and post the name of the file that contains "post_boot.sh".

This mod has been tested on the OneX and OneS.

To use just flash in recovery and add your favorite scripts to init.d.

For devs:

To add this method to your rom simply edit the post_boot.sh file and add this line at the bottom:
Code:
/system/etc/init.d/*
Easy right ? Suprised it hasn't been done before, well at least that i know of.

All files in init.d will be executed at boot just like regular init.d. You can also manually add the line and make it whatever directory you want.

I have attached a test file to flash to see if init.d is working.

Flash Init_D_Test.zip in recovery

Reboot and navigate to /data and look for a file called Test.log if it's there Congats init.d works.

Download:
http://goo.im/devs/smokin1337/Mods/Easy_InitD_1.1.zip
Attached Files
File Type: zip Init_D_Test.zip - [Click for QR Code] (124.9 KB, 5666 views)
Last edited by smokin1337; 22nd June 2012 at 02:56 AM.
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to smokin1337 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th June 2012, 11:56 PM   |  #2  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,549

951 posts
Donate to Me
More
Changelog:

1.1 - fixed error in script
Last edited by smokin1337; 17th June 2012 at 01:42 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smokin1337 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2012, 12:16 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 12,085

5,201 posts
Donate to Me
More
Definitely works!!
The Following User Says Thank You to itsmikeramsay For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2012, 12:46 AM   |  #4  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 727

2,163 posts
Donate to Me
More
"Init.d support allowed the use of the CPU editor resulting in these results, proof that it works."

I've been testing this since this morning and I didn't hold back on use, forums, news, calls, and texting/mms as well.

Here's the proof but you have to be root and it will change your quadrants a little lower but response is up there with battery savings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120614_194304.png
Views:	4899
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1130600
Last edited by Orical; 15th June 2012 at 02:04 AM.
15th June 2012, 01:05 AM   |  #5  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 130

798 posts
More
And now that I've got init.d, I feel better, but I'm not really sure what I can do with it...

Sent from my H1S using XDA Premium.
The Following User Says Thank You to MadJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2012, 01:56 AM   |  #6  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 269

1,586 posts
Look very useful! nice work will try.
15th June 2012, 01:57 AM   |  #7  
Flag Boston

2,163 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidificator

And now that I've got init.d, I feel better, but I'm not really sure what I can do with it...

Maybe I should explain my last post, I'm running Stock official release rooted, many people believed that init.d support couldn't be used for Stock builds but this allows you to be able to run scripts like this one I'm running "CLICK THIS LINK TO THE RIGHT, IT"S WORTH IT!!!" (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1584508).

This is the CPU editor which allows you to change cpu settings on a stock kernel and custom kernels as well. The One S has an amazing stock kernel but you can tweak it to control when the second core picks up and drops off, the cpu editor changes those settings depending on how you want it to perform for you by profile.

1. Performance
2. Performance and Battery saver
3. Battery saver

My pic above shows the first day of testing with moderate to heavy use using battery saver (#3) leaving the Min and Max at their original settings 384 and 1512 but telling the cores to work in a different way, instead of the second core picking up at 90% of the first core it picks up at 10% till it makes it to 100% of the first cores process making it snappy but when it reaches 100% the second core drops off and stops running.

When you put it in sleep mode it drops the first core to min settings and holds it there till it's needed. I had to have the init.d script in order to use this script because I like stock for the time being, personally I'm a MIUI fan but Sense 4 has a good hold on me at the moment.

Init.d allows these types of scripts to run on a device which in the past had to be a community developed rom, now it's possible to use a stock device rooted and still have the benefits of developed scripts like multitasking script, supercharger v6, OC daemon (Virtuous) etc...

Hope this clears things up for you.
Last edited by Orical; 15th June 2012 at 02:27 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Orical For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2012, 02:09 AM   |  #8  
Flag Düsseldorf
Thanks Meter: 124

302 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidificator

As far as I can see, "init.d" Scripts are Tweaks which are dynamicly loaded on each startup by the ROM ( if the said rom Supports it ).
Im pretty new to Android, so Im googling my way thru it right now, but it seems pretty great what you can achieve with those Scripts :)

EDIT:
Woops, looks like someone was fast with a better explanation ^^
Thank you Orical
Last edited by v3n3; 15th June 2012 at 02:12 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to v3n3 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2012, 02:20 AM   |  #9  
Flag Boston

2,163 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n3

As far as I can see, "init.d" Scripts are Tweaks which are dynamicly loaded on each startup by the ROM ( if the said rom Supports it ).
Im pretty new to Android, so Im googling my way thru it right now, but it seems pretty great what you can achieve with those Scripts :)

Most scripts that you'll find here are specific for their respective devices, the cpu editor is more of an universal tool like others posted in other forums that haven't made their way around the block yet but for the most part you would be hard pressed to find scripts that are meant for anything else on these forums.

Devs are really good about warning users if there is something that might be high risk to use.

You are right about the definition though, good to see some one uses that great friend Google that answers all your questions without asking anything in return.... Google is awesome! lol...
15th June 2012, 03:43 AM   |  #10  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 130

798 posts
More
Orical, V3n3, thanks for the replies. I had an idea of what it did before, but I'm a lot clearer now. I know I've seen threads that say "ROMs with init.d only" or kernels, whatever, but now I can't find them anywhere.

As for messing with the cores, I'm a little hesitant. But I'm also a little curious. Does that script allow for any overclocking? I'm not looking for much, maybe like an extra 100MHz (just to get back what the 1.84 update took away, really).

Never mind, I'm just going to give it a try, made a nandroid and going for it. Thanks again.

Last edited by MadJoe; 15th June 2012 at 03:51 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread