Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,541 Members 54,064 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can't Update Firmware

Tip us?

FriendlyFire
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Can't Update Firmware

So I've happily been using my TF300 for the past few weeks while on vacation, but now that I'm back I wanted to fix the nagging issues with it, namely that it'd crash every so often, usually while in sleep, and also that I couldn't get the firmware to update.

The only things I had done were to apply the build.prop tweak posted here and root. I decided to go ahead and wipe, so I did a full reset. Tried getting the OTA update, no luck. Tried using OTA RootKeeper to unroot momentarily, no luck. I couldn't get the update showing up. Using the manual update fails with code 12 after only a minute (though the tablet reboots just fine in the main OS).

The only thing left to check was then the build.prop, but (silly me) I can't find my backup. Yay. So I started looking for a stock build.prop, but at this point I'm not even sure which to use. The given build.prop is a US .26 one, but I am certain I was on .17 (couldn't have rooted otherwise), though I don't remember whether it was US or WW. I bought the tablet with NCIX in early May if that helps.

So far I've tried with a stock US .26 and a stock US .17 file (extracted straight from the blob used to downgrade, so I'm pretty sure it's correct), but neither worked. I'm wondering whether I have a WW build, but I can't find a WW .17 blob...

I'm rather confused about all of this, as the tablet seems to be working fine for everything but updating and crashes (which I hoped .26/29 would fix). Can somebody confirm that early Canadian TF300s use(d) the US .17 build? If so, what else could I be doing wrong? The tablet's basically wiped outside of SuperUser and Voodoo OTA.

/dev/void
Old
(Last edited by /dev/void; 15th June 2012 at 08:27 AM.)
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
The only thing left to check was then the build.prop, but (silly me) I can't find my backup. Yay. So I started looking for a stock build.prop, but at this point I'm not even sure which to use. The given build.prop is a US .26 one, but I am certain I was on .17 (couldn't have rooted otherwise), though I don't remember whether it was US or WW.
If you followed the guides you should have it in /system/build.prop.bak or something.
Quote:
So far I've tried with a stock US .26 and a stock US .17 file (extracted straight from the blob used to downgrade, so I'm pretty sure it's correct), but neither worked. I'm wondering whether I have a WW build, but I can't find a WW .17 blob...
Did you remember to set the /system/build.prop file permissions?
Quote:
I'm rather confused about all of this, as the tablet seems to be working fine for everything but updating and crashes (which I hoped .26/29 would fix). Can somebody confirm that early Canadian TF300s use(d) the US .17 build? If so, what else could I be doing wrong? The tablet's basically wiped outside of SuperUser and Voodoo OTA.
Canadian TF300s are on WW nowadays.
Check your build.prop again.

Below may make it problematic to return it if it's faulty, but:
Or flash .17 US with wolf's second method (check out the blob thread) and really reset your tab. If you don't get OTA:s - try .17 DE.

FriendlyFire
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Why believe it or not, but I've fixed my issue in the least likely manner. I downloaded the .17 DE blob, extracted the build.prop from it and put it on my tablet. Wouldn't detect any firmware update as being valid.

As a last shot, I went into the firmware update page and lo and behold, it found one and updated! The update went through, I'm on WW .26 and updating to WW .29 as we speak.

Morale of the story: backup your build.prop. Silly me.

philos64
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,662
You could find all that you want about TF300T here:
[INDEX][14 JUN 12] INDEX of ROMS/RECOVERY/ROOT/GUIDES/HBOOT/RADIOS/TWEAKS etc...
It's not really difficult to found, it's stickied