Need help installing/upgrading? Visit the FAQ [link]
= Notable Feature Summary =
These are some of the features included in Mimicry! Visit the Feature section below [link]
– Notification Shortcuts - Up to 12 shortcuts in the notification area. Customize icons! Use the default icon, from Gallery or from a set of pre-created Stock icons. Cutomize icon colors as well as spacing and alignment
– Recent Apps mods - Search capactive key rebinded to Recent Apps (with longpress Search) and Remove all Recent Apps (with longpress or trackball)
– Mods/Tweaks - Pre-packaged V6 Supercharger, Virtuous OC Daemon, Enhanced Keymaps tweaks and Wifi Calling selectable on install
– App choice - Choose from a number of Launchers, Music players and Boot animations on install
– UI enhancements - Numerous built-in battery icon mods. Use a custom date format in statusbar or notifications and change the StatusBar color/transparency level
– Hardware button mods - Long-press Power for Quick Torch, Long-press Camera for Quick Camera, Trackball Answer/Hangup
= Suggested Ideas =
If the ideas below sound like something you'd like to see in the ROM, mention it in the thread so I can give them higher development priority
– Kill-all Recent Apps at once ability
– Add user-selectable colors for Notification Shortcut icons
– Status bar transparency/color selection
– Want more? Suggestions are welcome in the thread!
– Not on TMO? Choose the Never option and you won't be asked to install it again in new Mimicry versions
= .19 Radio lib-RIL/GPS .so Updater =
– Once again, EdKeys has given permission to include his work in the ROM. Be sure to check out his thread for additional information on flashing the radio+rcdata to ensure the best results. Note that this updater is included in with the WiFi Calling package
– Note that WiFi Calling and .19 Radio lib-RIL/GPS .so packages will back up your EFS partitions before wiping them. This means you may start to notice the backups in the root of your sdcard. In the future this will be fixed but for now you may delete new ones freely.
Unique ROM Features
= Notification Shortcuts =
Notification Shortcuts allow you to assign up to 10 shortcuts in the notification drawer
– Assign to any App or Activity
– Lightweight solution to quickly launch apps from anywhere in the system
– Choose icons from the Gallery, dozens of included stock icons or default
– Long-press to customize
– Horizontally scrollable
– Useful for launching programs that complement other apps (login/password storage, file explorer, search)
– Customize color and alignment/spacing
= Quick Torch =
– Based on the AOKP feature of the same name this lets you toggle the LED flashlight by pressing and holding the Power button when the screen is off
– Uses CM's native torch app – lets you use Deathray mode!
= Search to Recent Apps =
– Rebinds your search key to Recent Apps – shaves off valuable second of time!
– Search is switched to long-press so it ain't going nowhere
= Status Bar / Notification Drawer customizations =
– Move the date to the Status Bar
– Customize the date format by choosing one of 20 pre-baked templates, or create your own with DateFormat macros
– Modify the StatusBar color and transparency level independently of themes
– Remove the Date/Settings bar completely for all you minimalists
= Trackball Answer/Hangup =
– Ported from CM7 and enhanced for ICS. Trackball Answer/Hangup lets you respectively answer or hang up the phone with a single or double tap from the trackball.
= Screen-off Longpress Camera =
– Triggered when holding the camera button while the screen is off and will automatically wake and unlock the phone to launch Camera app.
– Save valuable time when you need to take that quick time sensitive photo.
Flashing between Mimicry versions will preserve gapps. You only need to flash gapps when installing Mimicry for the first time! If your Google account is missing after flashing a new ROM version though, it's because gapps was erased somehow.
Before you report any issues you need to read the FAQ/Known Issues section below. Still want to report an issue? Follow these steps first..
Analyze the problem and try everything you can to find solutions for yourself. Wipe caches, revert settings you have made, factory reset, wipe app data, etc. Assume the issue is on your end and try your best to isolate it. Before you do report an issue keep in mind this is a developer thread -- collect evidence, do some research and try to always provide a logcat by recreating the problem as reliably as possible.
– Help out with translations! Join the Andromadus project to contribute [link]
– Extracted hardcoded english strings in Andromadus/Mimicry Settings - can now be translated! Cleaned up strings and translations
– Fixed CM's backuptool and implemented it to work properly in Aroma. This will automatically preserve gapps between Mimicry flashes
– Added OTAUpdater. This will automatically inform you of new Mimicry versions!
– Updated ApexLauncher to v1.3.0beta2
= Version 1.3.2 – August 6, 2012 =
– Merged up to CM9/Andromadus repo head
– Fix ring/notification volume not restoring correctly on headset (dis)connect
– Merged in patch to fix a crash on audio initialize
– Added zram to initrc
– New Feature! Added AOKP Circle Battery icons
– New Feature! Added Percentage-in-Icon Battery icons
– Fixed transparency on notification shortcut backgrounds
– Fixed Aroma bug where installer would silently abort without flashing the kernel
– Fixed Sense 4 Style Recent Apps squashed preview bug
– Updated Aroma to 2.5
– Updated ApexLauncher to v1.3.0beta1
= Version 1.3.1 – July 27, 2012 =
– New Feature! Added Jelly Bean animations option in Aroma
– New Feature! Added ability to customize the Notification Area/StatusBar date format
– Requested Feature! Device now wakes on QWERTY hardware keyboard input (like in GB)
– Updated NovaLauncher to 1.2.2
== Installation FAQ / Known Issues ==
= FAQ =
Q) I'm coming from <some rom>, do I have to wipe?
A) If the ROM is AOSP ICS/CM9 based you should be okay with flashing the rom zip and gapps without having to wipe anything manually. The ROM will automatically wipe /system and your caches for you. That said, always make a backup and if you encounter app FCs, lag or any general weirdness, try wiping the offending app's data and/or wipe your /data entirely.
Q) I'm upgrading from an older version of Mimicry, what do I do?
A) Everything said in the above question applies here too, except as of version 1.4.0, you no longer have to flash gapps when upgrading Mimicry. Aroma will remember your settings from previous installs and present those as your defaults. Even if you update launcher versions in between Mimicry versions, things should function as expected. Unless you wipe /data, the only thing that will get overwritten are custom Virtuous OC Daemon frequencies/governors. Your apps and settings should all remain intact
Q) Okay I didn't wipe and now I'm encountering issues like lag or FCs!!
A) Ah, tough luck. First try to fix permissions in recovery and reboot. If that doesn't work you need to reboot into recovery & wipe /data. Once booted you may restore user apps from titanium backup or a similar app. You did make a backup, didn't you?
Q) I'm noticing strange slowdowns with apps and/or errors not encountered in previous versions!
A) First of all, disable zram if you have it enabled. Alternatively, this may also be caused by apps needing their data cleared. Go to Settings->Apps->All, find the app and clear its data. Some apps are just poorly designed for ICS. The Facebook app particularly has been known to cause lag and excessive battery drain for a lot of users.
Q) I wiped /data but I'm encountering lag and weird issues anyway!
A) This is rare but it can happen. First off, make sure your partitions are ext4 by downloading 4EXT from the Market and flashing the 4EXT recovery. If you are new to ICS you must do a complete reformat of all your partitions (excluding sdcard obvsly). Second, if you restored apps from a backup it may be their doing. Try a fresh wipe and then restore your apps in small batches with appropriate testing inbetween to determine if they're the cause. Lastly, wiping data from the Market app (Play Store) has been known to cure lag felt after updating installed apps.
Q) I just flashed and battery seems to be acting funny or draining rapidly
A) Mimicry IS CM9/Andromadus. There's nothing functionally different in the backend to cause different battery consumption. Please read this post to gain some insight and maybe help diagnose what could be draining your battery, regardless of ROM.
Q) Camera app <some app> doesn't work!
A) Due to the hacks implemented to get the camera working with ICS and the 2.6 kernel you will find that many camera apps do not work or will not work properly. It's recommended that you stick to the stock camera app until we migrate to the 3.0 kernel. If using Instagram, make sure you disable their built in camera.
Q) My WiFi doesn't seem to be working after a new install!
A) Users of EdKeys' WiFi Calling [link] and .19 Radio lib-RIL/GPS .so updater [link] have reported this on occasion. At the moment it's not 100% clear why this can happen, but please discuss appropriately in his respective threads. European/Asian country users need to consult this thread specifically. If you've tried methods & tips described in those threads and still can't solve your issues, re-flash the ROM and choose 'No' to either WiFi Calling or the .19 Radio lib-RIL/GPS .so updater options. As a final option, it has been reported that an app called Wifix [link] can also fix this issue.
Q) After flashing I'm stuck at the HTC logo screen!
A) This is likely the result of a bad download. Check your downloaded md5sum hash against the one listed next to the download link above. If the md5sum matches up then it may be because you're coming from 2.3.X without reformatting your partitions to ext4. One method is to download and install 4EXT Recovery and choose the option to format all partitions (except sdcard). This is similar to the Superwipe method except has been reported to work in cases where Superwipe did not.
Q) Everything is great except for issues A, B & C, help!
A) Since the Vision has no official ICS release (nor an official CM9 release), there are the occasional glitch with this, and every other ICS rom. The first thing you need to do is check the issues list below and on the Andromadus tracker. If it's not on the traker, add it. Be patient, there are a number of people working tirelessly to fix the issues and make ICS on our devices as perfect as possible.
Q) I can't send/receive MMS and/or voicemail indication doesn't work!
A) Check your APNs. Make sure you're using the right one and that the fields match what you had in CM7 or what other people have posted as working for your provider. Also beware that there is a known issue with EdKeys' WiFi Calling package where MMS over WiFi Calling is broken.
= Issues =
Most everything is working, however you may encounter some minor issues. Check the Andromadus issue tracker as well as the list below..
– Text may randomly appear corrupted or glitched. This is a known bug [link] and affects every version of ICS for the HTC Vision. Do not report this bug, as a solution is being worked towards. Please try to capture any log cats or comment on the bug via the report on the website. A temporary solution to this is to wait (it'll go away eventually), or enable Long Press Back to Kill App in the Developer Settings and simply kill the glitched app when it happens. It often seems to happen shortly after rebooting or flashing a new ROM.
– FM Radio is only functional using certain apps. Wide success has been reported with Spirit Radio [link]
– Camcorder does not record in 720p (issue affects all ICS ROMs)
– Wireless 802.11n is disabled in the kernel due to an issue with n mode dropping the wifi connection silently from certain APs (affects all ICS roms)
– WiFi has been known to be buggy or disabled after flashing EdKeys' WiFi Calling [link] or .19 Radio lib-RIL/GPS .so updater [link] packages. Please discuss appropriately in the linked threads. Re-flashing the ROM will allow you to de-select either of those packages should you be unable to solve your issues. There is a FAQ question specifically aimed towards this issue that provides additional information/links.
– You may experience the occasional slow-down. From experience, this is almost always caused when the Market or Titanium Backup restore an app. Another reported cause is the browser loading flash heavy websites (cough Adobe cough), as well as non-stock camera apps.
– Some users have reported issues w/ wifi -> data (after 2h) not working. This seems to be based on radio/RIL and can be solved by flashing EdKeys' RIL matcher package [link]
– Some users have reported issues w/ GPS. This also seems to be based on radio/RIL, the same link above should resolve such issues.
– Overclocking to >=1.7GHz may result in the occasional freeze or lockup. Use at your own risk.
It's important to point out the distinction between Mimicry, Audacity and CM9.
First and foremost, issues known and common to Andromadus should be discussed and reported in the Andromadus Audacity thread [link].
This thread should be used for support of features and functionality unique to Mimicry. The reason for this is to lessen the splintering of bugs unique to the ROMs and centralize issue discussion with workarounds and solutions. If you do find an issue, the first thing you should do after following the appropriate steps in re-creating it and making sure it's not just the result of a dirty flash is visit the Andromadus issue tracker [link]
This may come across as righteous, arrogant or even just plain unnecessary. You've been warned!
As a main (and relatively new) Andromadus developer it has saddened me to see the once vibrant G2/Desire Z community reduced to primarily winzip devs and kangers. There are some notable exceptions. In regards to AOSP-like ROMs, the unofficial "CM9" ROM by jerl92 and the unofficial AOKP ROM by adamz667 are both excellent and both authors have put in a lot of hard work, as well actual development effort.
Literally every single other [ICS] ROM you'll find is a version of those two ROMs or Andromadus. All 3 ROMs are open and yet no ROM "dev" compiles from source. They're all versions of the three aforementioned ROMs, unzipped with APKs and framework/prop hacks applied.
Not to completely marginalize those individuals' effort, as I'm sure most of the time they put real time and thought into what they were doing, but those creations actually offer very little lasting value to the development community for the Vision. In some cases it's actually harming the community by splintering support for the base ROM and prolonging issues that have been fixed in newer versions of the original ROM, but are unbeknownst to users of the kang.
Most of those "devs" could be putting out flashable zip customization packages that offer the exact same "enhancements" and additions that their ROMs do and yet they do not. This would solve the fragmented bug report/squashing issue, as well as allow their add-on packs to be applied across a broader ROM base. Cyanogen himself put it very well in an old post of his. Sagely advice indeed.
My goal with Mimicry is to provide actual new development and functionality to Android ICS users. I want feedback from the community and I want a ROM where new features are implemented in a scheduled, reliable manner. I've been listening to the few alpha testers very closely and implementing new features and ideas from them, and I hope to bring that to even more interested people with this public release.
Lastly, any major bug fixes or small feature additions I apply to Mimicry will also be merged into the main Andromadus repositories. This fork exists because the new work/code being done is too much of a departure from the standard CM9 source code that we sync with. I solely maintain these forks and merge them into the Andromadus/CM9 branches myself with every new Mimicry release.
== Credits & Thanks! ==
Thanks to ufoman, Zubs, Cimer, ashwinmudigonda, Nipqer, magic_android, EdKeys and pierre_ja for their help with testing both the tweaks and the Mimicry alpha builds to support them. Kudos to shapr for first publicly acknowledging the Dr. Strangelove reference.
Andromadus Team - This ROM would not be possible without the efforts of the Andromadus Team! Much love to fellow Andromadudes darkspadez, Flinny and fyodor. <3
V6 Supercharger was created and is maintained by zeppelinrox. Thanks to him and wraithdu for their help and with testing the webapp.
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for damage to your device due to this ROM. While this ROM has been tested by myself and other individuals for months, I cannot guarantee that you will have the same positive experiences we've had. Flash at your own risk, etc. This ROM is built using the same methods as Andromadus Audacity and as such there is no additional risk over flashing any other custom ROM on this forum.
In the same vein as my above "rant", do not kang this ROM as a base for other ROMs. If you have an idea, suggestion, addition or enhancement PLEASE discuss it in the forums and, if it is good, will likely be included in the ROM itself. Hurray!
== Donations ==
I will never ask for or accept donations for anything I've done on Android. The contributions I have made pale in comparison to the contributions of the CyanogenMod & Andromadus teams as a whole. There are so many people involved in the process that to me, donations for ROMs seem a bit misplaced. The small amount of money I pay each month for hosting and whatnot is such an incredibly tiny price to pay for all the benefit I've gained off others' work over the years.
Not to say I don't appreciate the kind words & offers of beer, as I do and they definitely inspire and motivate me with the work I do.
That said, feel free to rate this thread to appropriately match your experience with the ROM
Tmobile galaxy note II: current and rooted with the force
G2/desire z: Rooted/loved then, passed down to little brother
HTC Sensation: brothers phone/ hacked/and updated by me
Tmobile Galaxy S II: Sisters phone Rooted and updated by me then unrooted by me
I need to note though that while I am maintaining a separate code fork with these new features & additions, that I am still a part of the Andromadus team and that the team's efforts as a whole make this ROM possible. Credit given where credit due.
Great job. Flinny can't update Andromadus as often as the flash-oholic in me would like and it's nice to see someone taking over in that regard
also I just can't get over how useful statusbar shortcuts and power button flashlight are. I just can't overstate how useful these two features are, seriously.
Now if only you added an option to change ICS multitasking to GB-style "dumb" multitasking. I'm pretty sure it exists in AOSP because apparently it's a keyboard shortcut in some Android tablet/slider I can't remember. ICS multitasking is horrendously slow, at least on the Vision.
Oh and... an option to make the date text in the status bar shorter?
XDA is the place where many amazing projects start. We have seen the first … more
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?