Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,929 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How To- Mount /SDCard2 as /SDCard

Tip us?

filmaker
Old
(Last edited by filmaker; 19th June 2012 at 06:30 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 501
Storage How To- Mount /SDCard2 as /SDCard

Make a Backup!

What this will do is mount /sdcard2 as /sdcard and your phone storage /sdcard, to /sdcard2.

Okay, so I started playing around in the vold.fstab, thanks to some inspiration form this thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1625238,
and I managed to change to get the internal memory show as the external sdcard, and my 32GB sdcard to show as the phone storage.

If you would like to try this, then use an app like root explorer and navigate to /system/etc and open up vold.fstab.

You'll see two lines:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard emmc /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host

dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host

Change them to this:

dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd emmc /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host

Then reboot.

Both mount points are accessible through file explorers, and both are accessible using an MTP connection (Media Sync) when connecting to the computer.

Pros
Move game and app data to your SDCard.
Move Apps to Actual SDCard (not just phone storage)
Google Music files on SDCard

Side Effects
You'll be left to the mercy of MTP for all your file transferring.

You can download the edited vold.fstab here:http://i.minus.com/1340071427/7vY7Qe...lYm/vold.fstab
You can check in this thread for a flashable zip version: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1713737

Just make sure u change the permissions (rw-r-r)

Some extra info for those still confsued (thanks to ryanalan82 for this)

"And remember original storage is:
Internal storage = the app itself
Phone storage = the apps data
sd card= everything else

1. any apps that (the apk file itself) are installed in the phone storage, should be moved to internal storage.

2. Any of the game data that is on phone storage, should be moved to the actual sd card (sdcard2). This data is in the Android folder on phone storage (sdcard). So it should be moved from /mnt/sdcard/android/data to /mnt sdcard/ext_sdcard/android/data. Really just move the whole folder to the sd card. I moved the whole folder to phone storage from the sd card when I got the phone so I didn't have to sit there and download all the game data for the bigger games and such again.

3. Follow the steps in the OP of this hack.

4. If you want to get some of your 2 GB app storage space back, move the apps as you wish to phone storage. This will be the app apk file not the huge game data. But this time phone storage will be the actual sd card. So it won't take away from your 10 GB it will take away from the sd card.
The apps that get moved will get moved from /data/app to /mnt/sdcard/ext_sdcard/.android_secure. "

Goal Just a thought, but if anyone knows what file or where the OS, looks when the user gives it the selection to mount as disk drive, then maybe we could change the option from /sdcard2 to /sdcard
"Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code."

My History of Devices:
HTC EVO 4G | HTC EVO 3D | HTC EVO 4G LTE | Galaxy Nexus | Galaxy S3 | HTC One | LG Nexus 5

YouTube Tech Vlogger: Opensourcegangster
https://www.youtube.com/user/Opensourcegangster
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to filmaker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

benny3
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2506

DONATE TO ME
haha my firsrt first nice work thanks alot , this is good
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

El_Colombiano
Old
Thanks Meter 31
This does not affect app storage, correct?

Pithism
Old
Thanks Meter 61
awesome, cant wait for this to get even better

filmaker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Colombiano View Post
This does not affect app storage, correct?
Correct, app storage remains the same, just when you chose to move them to your phone storage, it's actually now moving it to your sdcard.

My History of Devices:
HTC EVO 4G | HTC EVO 3D | HTC EVO 4G LTE | Galaxy Nexus | Galaxy S3 | HTC One | LG Nexus 5

.Gibson.
Old
Thanks Meter 211
Great work. Is there any tweaks that increase sdcard speeds that I should know about to go along with this?

Sent from my El Tevo

acuzerfdw
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Just did this and both of mine say Unavailable as far as how much space I have in both. Let me go back and make sure I made the changes correctly.

aleks

kaos420
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1584

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by acuzerfdw View Post
Just did this and both of mine say Unavailable as far as how much space I have in both. Let me go back and make sure I made the changes correctly.

aleks
reboot.............................
Phone: Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Rom: Kit Kat 4.4.2 Prl: 16015 With 3G Roaming Kernel: Lean SD Card: Micro 64GB SDHC Class 10
Tablet: Asus TF300T 32GB Internal with Dock Rom: CROMi-X 5.3 Kernel: Hundsbuah SD Card: Micro 64GB SDHC CLass 10
Retired Devices Galaxy SIII / HTC Evo 4G Lte / HTC Evo 3D / HTC Evo 4G / HTC touch Pro 2 / HTC Touch Pro / HTC Diamond / HTC Vouge / HTC Hero / HTC Mogul / HTC apache

acuzerfdw
Old
(Last edited by acuzerfdw; 18th June 2012 at 03:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 40
I did. I did a normal reboot and even a fast reboot. Still a no go for me. And it lso says Mount Storage Card in stead of Unmount so it's not picking them up. I tried opening up both SD and SD2 in Root Explorer and neither works.

Do the spaces between the words and the / matter? I noticed some have a space between them and others don't. Let me try to type it just as the OP did...

edit: did that and still no good...

filmaker
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 501
I just added my vold.fstab, try transferring it to your /system/etc and see if it works.

My History of Devices: