Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,079 Members 51,272 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Noobie... Nervous system overload...Root/simunlock

Tip us?

keepitsimpleplease
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Noobie... Nervous system overload...Root/simunlock

I have spent Hours on this site looking for help with my phone...

I have down loaded app after app. reset factory setting. hard reset the phone. but the fact is my phone will not Root. I am with sask-tel. this all started with me wanting to unlock the phone.

What the phone will do:
down load apps
hook up to wifi
hard factory resets(up and down /power button)
usb debug

but thats it. if I try run a root program it does nothing. if I try to open the tech aids(down and power) nothing happens it says downloading for hours.

I have manually looked for the efs file and SU start commands are not reponding(jack's program for got the name).

Model number
GT-i9000m

firmware 2.3.3

baseband version I9000Ugkg3

kernel version
2.6.35.7-19000ugkg3
sj0829.kwon@sep-08#2

build number
gingerbread.gkg3

Mobile network type
Umts

yeah soo... please help sorry the post was so long I have no idea what I am doing...lol

gcuchiha
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Have you checked this thread??
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=939752

Gti9
The Following User Says Thank You to gcuchiha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

keepitsimpleplease
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default UMMM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcuchiha View Post
I did look at but it still does not help me as I am trying to refresh all the software in the phone because some one delete vital file Samung told me the carrier did it and they are the only ones who can fix it. I am really startiung to dislike Sasktel

but I really cant afford to by a new phone that 22 percent, or more, of my monthly income.

xsenman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimpleplease View Post
but the fact is my phone will not Root. I am with sask-tel. this all started with me wanting to unlock the phone.
Flash this rooting kernel using odin and install superuser and busybox from the market
Attached Files
File Type: tar Ugkg3 rooting kernel.tar - [Click for QR Code] (5.48 MB, 5 views)

w98seeng
Old
Thanks Meter 64

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimpleplease View Post

if I try to open the tech aids(down and power) nothing happens it says downloading for hours.
If you are trying to get into recovery, it's volume up, power and the home button.

Volume down, power and the home button gives you download mode, so it's normal for it to say "downloading" for hours.

try the file xsenman posted. Put your phone in download mode, open Odin, choose the file under PDA, plug in your phone
(make sure you have the Samsung USB drivers installed) and that the ID:COM box is lit, then flash.

Once it is finished, download Busybox and Superuser from Google Play and you are rooted.

By the way, KG3 is a very difficult ROM to get a rooted kernel for.

Ian
GPS, Wi-Fi, A Compass, Games, Movies, Internet access, ALL I WANT TO DO IS MAKE A PHONE CALL.

keepitsimpleplease
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default I'll try that....

Thhank you very much... I do hope that it works. I am taking a couple days break from it all. spend 9 hrs yesterday trying to simply diagnose, and for some one whom knows nothing about system programs, or tech access points for the phone I think I have done well for a newbie.

So far all I have been able to do is fix every lag in the phone. lol. thank you for the File link and for the walk through

keepitsimpleplease
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Quick questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by w98seeng View Post
If you are trying to get into recovery, it's volume up, power and the home button.

Volume down, power and the home button gives you download mode, so it's normal for it to say "downloading" for hours.

try the file xsenman posted. Put your phone in download mode, open Odin, choose the file under PDA, plug in your phone
(make sure you have the Samsung USB drivers installed) and that the ID:COM box is lit, then flash.

Once it is finished, download Busybox and Superuser from Google Play and you are rooted.

By the way, KG3 is a very difficult ROM to get a rooted kernel for.

Ian
Ian,
How do I insure my "Samsung USB drivers" are installed?
Can you please further explain what you mean by "ID:com box is lit"
Thank you

sorel22
Old
(Last edited by sorel22; 21st June 2012 at 10:11 AM.) Reason: Extra details
Thanks Meter 2
Default Re

Samsung drivers are installed together with Samsung Kies. If you already have Kies installed on your computer and it connected successfully at least once before then you have the right drivers.
Now, when flashing anything onto your phone the Kies application must not be running. Make sure you stop it (e.g: by stopping any Kies service from Windows Services).
"ID:COM box is lit" means one of the upper boxes in Odin turns green.
The steps are:
1. Start Odin on your computer and select the PDA and CSC files (you should find more details about what files to flash in other posts)
2. Start your phone in Download mode : Vol. Down + Home + Power until you see Downloadin
3. Connect the USB cable to your phone.
If none of the boxes turn green in Odin you should try different USB ports on your computer. One of them will eventually work.