Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,010 Members 44,431 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] Flashable Sync Manager ISO Replacement (Mount Virtual CD from Phone)

Tip us?

closeone
Old
(Last edited by closeone; 11th October 2012 at 03:01 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,463

DONATE TO ME
Drive [MOD] Flashable Sync Manager ISO Replacement (Mount Virtual CD from Phone)

Just a quick note for anyone strolling in. I am still supporting this modification. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post.

Hello everyone. Hopefully this hasn't been done before. This mod is a bit more of a fun one (In my humble opinion ).

Quote:
You may have noticed that when you connect your phone up to a computer, while booted into a Sense-based ROM, the phone will mount two drives -- one being a mass storage device, and the other being a CD-ROM drive. Interestingly enough, when you select HTC Sync Manager from the USB connection type list, it makes the computer think that you inserted a CD-ROM.

That's interesting because that means that you could essentially hook the phone up to just about any computer, and it would recognize that "CD-ROM drive."
Background
Quote:
I found that you can actually change that CD-ROM to just about anything you could possibly want (having some trouble with bootable ISOs though).

There is a file named PCTOOL.ISO inside the /system/etc directory that normally contains the HTC Sync Manager Software. By replacing that ISO with another, it'll mount that one instead. Because there isn't too much room to spare in the /system partition, the file should probably be kept relatively small.
Quote:
Okay. Why does this matter? I can think of two reasons:

1. ROM Developers can include a package that contains a copy of the ADB and Fastboot executables within their ROM. ADB would be useful while the device is on; Fastboot would probably have to be copied to the computer.
2. Because the ISO is mounted as Read-Only media, it could be incredibly useful for field technicians who need to run portable software, without the risk of being infected with a virus on the host machine.
Info/Download
Quote:
It's not hard to create these ISOs, and flash them to the phone. I can put up a how-to in the second post if anybody would like me to.

For now, here's a flashable zip containing ADB and Fastboot executables for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.

Just flash the file like you would flash any other.

There is an old version of the PCSC.apk in this file. A newer version is here for the time being.
Download
How to use
Quote:
To use it, while booted, change the device-connection type to HTC Sync Manager. Tap 'Done'. You'll likely see a message on the phone that says "Connecting to HTC Sync Manager ..." Just tap the back button on your phone to clear that message.

On your computer:
If you're running Windows, you may get an AutoPlay window that gives you the option to launch the "ADB and Fastboot Command Prompt." If you click that, you'll get a Command Prompt Window that's pointed at the drive already. To use any of the commands, just type adb [COMMAND], or fastboot [COMMAND] (again, fastboot may be useless unless copied to the computer).
If you don't get an AutoPlay window, open up the CD-ROM drive, and double-click on the 'ADB_FASTBOOT_SHELL.BAT' icon to bring up the window. That batch file contains only one command (just to launch the Command Prompt to the CD location).
If you're running Linux, you may have to copy the binaries over to your computer to use them (they may not have correct permissions).
On Mac OS X, you'll likely have to open a terminal window and navigate to the CD-ROM drive to use them.
I know that this isn't anything huge, but I'll put this down here anyways. Developers, if you are interested in the ADB/Fastboot ISO or flashable ZIP, and would like to include it in your ROM, please feel free to do so. Modify it however you like. Only thing that I would ask of you is that you post here (or even PM me) saying that you used it. I'd just love to see if/where it's being used. This isn't a strict requirement though. Thanks!

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything that happens (including, but not limited) to your phone, computer, Sprint contract, etc. This is provided free of charge without any warranty.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to closeone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

closeone
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,463

DONATE TO ME
Reserved

I am happy to help whenever I can.
If I make a mistake, I do sincerely apologize.

If I have helped you, let me know! It means a lot, and I love to hear it.

EVO 3D: HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit // Ultimate Recovery Tool[BOX] Live CD (Available in Post #3)
EVO 4G LTE: UR/EVO 4G LTE - A light Sense ROM with some small, unique twists.
The Following User Says Thank You to closeone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kaos420
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,595

DONATE TO ME
This is extremely interesting to me my friend. I ordered a 64gb sd so i could store pc repair programs such as hiren or others. So i woild always have with me. If i could just load a iso. God that would kick but. Id have a few o.s so ready at all times lol

Sent from my ice cream powered Evo Lte!
Phone: Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Rom: Kit Kat 4.4.2 Prl: 16015 With 3G Roaming Kernel: Lean SD Card: Micro 64GB SDHC Class 10
Tablet: Asus TF300T 32GB Internal with Dock Rom: CROMi-X 5.3 Kernel: Hundsbuah SD Card: Micro 64GB SDHC CLass 10
Retired Devices Galaxy SIII / HTC Evo 4G Lte / HTC Evo 3D / HTC Evo 4G / HTC touch Pro 2 / HTC Touch Pro / HTC Diamond / HTC Vouge / HTC Hero / HTC Mogul / HTC apache
The Following User Says Thank You to kaos420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drewski83
Old
Thanks Meter 45

DONATE TO ME
I definitely like the idea and possibilities this has. Good find, Closeone! I am goin to download just to keep for future. As I am only rooted stock, but I do plan to unlock soon. Was waiting on s-off but doubt that'll happen anytime soon, being that u can still flash kernels n etc with just unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my LTEVO via Tapatapa
-Drew$ki

: Don't forget to hit that Thanks button, if I helped in anyway! :

The Following User Says Thank You to drewski83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pinky059
Old
Thanks Meter 153
When I connect my EVO to my PC running Windows 7 64 bit , it doesn't recognize it as MTP (Thank God, by the way....IMO), it mounts as a normal USB flash drive. I didn't install HTC Sync, so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Are you referring to bone stock and you click on the Disk drive icon or the HTC Sync Manager when you plug in?

Just curious if I am using drivers that maybe others might get use of...
The Following User Says Thank You to pinky059 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

closeone
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,463

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos420 View Post
This is extremely interesting to me my friend. I ordered a 64gb sd so i could store pc repair programs such as hiren or others. So i woild always have with me. If i could just load a iso. God that would kick but. Id have a few o.s so ready at all times lol
Thanks! I'm not sure about the ability to boot. I did try a bootable ISO, which unfortunately was unable to boot. I may have to look closer into this. Also, the size restriction might hold you back. I wouldn't load a huge ISO into the /system partition, but there is one of two different things might be able to be done. One would be to possibly symlink the ISO and have it load from another place, the second would be to modify where the software would load the ISO from. Humm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewski83 View Post
I definitely like the idea and possibilities this has. Good find, Closeone! I am goin to download just to keep for future. As I am only rooted stock, but I do plan to unlock soon. Was waiting on s-off but doubt that'll happen anytime soon, being that u can still flash kernels n etc with just unlocked bootloader.
Thanks, drewski83!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky059 View Post
When I connect my EVO to my PC running Windows 7 64 bit , it doesn't recognize it as MTP (Thank God, by the way....IMO), it mounts as a normal USB flash drive. I didn't install HTC Sync, so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Are you referring to bone stock and you click on the Disk drive icon or the HTC Sync Manager when you plug in?

Just curious if I am using drivers that maybe others might get use of...
The only way, I believe, that the system will mount the phone as MTP (or is it PTP in this implementation?) is by selecting the Media sync option when connecting. The two advantages I see to mounting it this way are that the SD Card doesn't have to be dismounted while connected, and the device shows both the "Internal SD" and the actual SD Card as separate drives that you can copy files to and from.

I haven't installed HTC Sync either. I'm referring to most any Sense-based ROMs for this device. If the phone doesn't give you a choice, it's possible that it's still hidden in the notification menu. If not, you can change that by going into Settings > Connect to PC, and tap Ask me, or you can change the default connection type from within that menu as well.

~co~

EVO 3D: HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit // Ultimate Recovery Tool[BOX] Live CD (Available in Post #3)

Cuppeerr
Old
Thanks Meter 817

DONATE TO ME
Closeone, you are awesome.
Personal Phone: LG G3

Business Phone: iPhone 5s
Twitter
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppeerr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

closeone
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,463

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Cupper- View Post
Closeone, you are awesome.
Thank you -Cupper-. You are awesome, good sir!

~co~

The Following User Says Thank You to closeone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

regaw_leinad
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3,629
bump for awesomeness
Device: HTC One (AT&T)
Recovery:TWRP 2.6.3.0 | Bootloader: S-OFF
ROM: Stock

My Development Threads

Watch my programming tutorials on YouTube - BetterCoder
I'm also a professional musician - YouTube - SoundCloud

Please don't post just to say "Thanks" - There's a button for that . Be sure to use it!
The Following User Says Thank You to regaw_leinad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bard77
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quick question...if you flash this mod, do you have to reflash it every time a new ROM is flashed? Thanks in advance