Ask a question

No registration required

Modding HTC One X Desktop Dock?

OP tekkneke

19th June 2012, 10:04 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 18

81 posts
Okay, so I have given up hope that HTC will be making the desktop dock that uses the pogo pins for our model anytime soon. I feel that the customs lockdown by Apple has really stunted the production of accessories for our phones since not many people have them yet.

So basically, I am wondering about the viability of modifying the HTC One X Desktop Dock to work with our phones (specifically this one here):

I would think that one could dremel spots that are larger, and align the pins with our device. Does anyone who is handy with this kind of thing know if it would be possible?
20th June 2012, 11:08 AM   |  #2  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 484

884 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkneke

Okay, so I have given up hope that HTC will be making the desktop dock that uses the pogo pins for our model anytime soon. I feel that the customs lockdown by Apple has really stunted the production of accessories for our phones since not many people have them yet.

So basically, I am wondering about the viability of modifying the HTC One X Desktop Dock to work with our phones (specifically this one here):

I would think that one could dremel spots that are larger, and align the pins with our device. Does anyone who is handy with this kind of thing know if it would be possible?

Bumping because I honestly didn't know what those 5 connections were for. And that'd be cool.
20th June 2012, 02:45 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 43

520 posts
Customs lockdown,

A) I thought Americans can buy the HTC One X now.
B) There are more markets than the US.

I think the problem is the Galaxy SIII is the device "got to have it now Android fanboys" are looking for and the sales of the HTC One X was really not that great.

Small market = low sales of Accessories
20th June 2012, 08:10 PM   |  #4  
Flag 001101100011000100111001
Thanks Meter: 2

25 posts
More
Yeah I was curious about this too. Not that I'd really want to attempt it, but I am getting tired of the lack of AT&T (ONE XL) accessories and I really want this dock as well. I'd really hate to rough it up since it looks sleek in it's natural form. You could always shave down the bottom/corners to get the plugs to line up but I think the indent for the camera might still give you a slight issue and it wouldn't set right as a result.

I seriously hope they plan to release this for the AT&T version eventually.
20th June 2012, 09:43 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Modville
Thanks Meter: 1,899

3,765 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkneke

Without seeing the internals, it's impossible to know. Those pins are the charge/sync connection--note that there is no microUSB connection.

It's possible the assembly holding the pins is separate and moveable; its also possible that it's part of the main circuit board, in which case modding would be next to impossible for average DIY folks.

Even if the pins can be moved, the connections to the main board in things like this are often hair-thin wires that are very easy to break and next to impossible to solder back together.

I've tried mods/repairs like this in the past, and failed more often than I got it to work.
Last edited by iElvis; 20th June 2012 at 09:47 PM.
21st June 2012, 07:55 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

81 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroDigital

Customs lockdown,

A) I thought Americans can buy the HTC One X now.
B) There are more markets than the US.

I think the problem is the Galaxy SIII is the device "got to have it now Android fanboys" are looking for and the sales of the HTC One X was really not that great.

Small market = low sales of Accessories

US can buy One X now. The point is, it probably would have taken 2 months for there to have been an OEM One XL desktop dock under normal circumstances. But, since one of the biggest markets for the One XL didn't sell hardly any devices, it unquestionably set the sales way back. Then to make matters worse, when they finally did get going the GS3 was almost out so that hurt things even more.

So yeah, obviously GS3 will have hurt things, but don't think that the One X would not have done much better without Apple's meddling.
21st June 2012, 08:04 AM   |  #7  
OP Member

81 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iElvis

Without seeing the internals, it's impossible to know. Those pins are the charge/sync connection--note that there is no microUSB connection.

Right, that's why I want this in the first place.

Quote:

It's possible the assembly holding the pins is separate and moveable; its also possible that it's part of the main circuit board, in which case modding would be next to impossible for average DIY folks.

Good call -- I hadn't even considered that it would be directly on the circuit board. I still would expect it is not, but there is still a decent chance.

Quote:

Even if the pins can be moved, the connections to the main board in things like this are often hair-thin wires that are very easy to break and next to impossible to solder back together.

True enough.
21st June 2012, 11:31 PM   |  #8  
Flag Lubbock
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
More
After all the effort you will put into modding it, and not even knowing if the mod will work. You're better off just waiting a few weeks until they release a HOXL version..

Just my opinion.
21st June 2012, 11:48 PM   |  #9  
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 5,045

1,986 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm pretty sure the layout of the pins is the same.
Its just moved a little but upwards compared to our version.
22nd June 2012, 08:43 AM   |  #10  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 91

433 posts
More
The pins should be in the same spot, does anyone have this dock and can confirm or deny it?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread