Ask a question

No registration required

How To Repair HTC One X Screen

OP repairsuniverse

20th June 2012, 02:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 765

624 posts
RepairsUniverse compiled a written repair guide to repair a damaged screen or other internal components on your HTC One X. This detailed take apart guide will walk you through each step on how to disassemble and replace the damaged parts on your One X.

This guide will help you to install the following HTC One X part(s):
  • HTC One X Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
  • HTC One X LCD Screen Replacement

Tools Required:
  • Safe Open Pry Tool
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • Adhesive Strips (for touch screen repair)
  • Hot Air Gun / Hair Dryer

HTC One X Repair Guide:
  • First, use a safe open pry tool to begin releasing the back housing. Start at the bottom of the device and work your way around the edges, applying pressure to pop the case off. With all 3 sides released you can pull the device from the back cover. Be cautious as the battery is often adhered to the housing and will need to be removed with the rest of the device.
  • Once the back cover had been removed, we can now remove the small plastic housing located near the camera. Used Small Phillips screwdriver then remove the five (5) screws shown in red on figure 1.

Figure 1
  • There will be one (1) more small Phillips screws that will be located at the bottom of the motherboard, near the battery, that will need to be removed.
  • Start releasing all the connections located on the motherboard. Release the single pop connector and jaw connector located on the top of the motherboard (shown in orange in figure 1).
  • Release the power button flex cable and volume button flex cable from the housing. These will be lightly adhered to the housing (shown in green in figure 1).
  • You can now lightly lift the motherboard up, being careful as it is still attached with flex cables. The battery can also be swung out, revealing two (2) more connection on the skinny part of the motherboard. Release these two connections and remove the motherboard and battery from the device (shown in figure 2).

Figure 2
  • Use a heat gun or hair dryer to start warming the front of the screen assembly. Work around the outside edges of the screen on medium heat for about 45 seconds. This will soften the adhesive holding the screen assembly to the housing.
  • Once the screen is properly heated you can use a safe open pry tool to being lifting the screen assembly away from the housing. Be sure to lift both screens out at the same time.
  • After the screens are partially released, be sure the flex cables are fed through the housing. Remove the screen assembly.
  • Use the heat gun or hair dryer again to warm the seal between the touch screen and LCD screen. Use quick movements for about 30 seconds. Once this is complete, use a safe open pry tool to carefully separate the screens.
  • You can now replace the touch screen digitizer or LCD screen.

Reverse the instructions above to reassemble your phone.
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2012, 02:55 AM   |  #2  
Flag rome
Thanks Meter: 1

16 posts
More
Thumbs up
Thank for great tutorial
I hope that I will ever need it, but very useful
20th June 2012, 06:57 AM   |  #3  
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 452

661 posts
More
Was it proved that the digitizer can be safely removed from the LCD without messing it up? As I watched a video on YouTube, the guy ruined his LCD screen in the process....i have a broken digitizer and I'm not willing to buy digitizer+LCD for $150 while my LCD is working fine....i hope you can tell me if changing the digitizer alone is possible.
Thank you!
20th June 2012, 08:25 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

624 posts
Yes this is possible. These screens are not fused together but held by adhesive. You will need to apply heat on the front touchscreen too loosen the adhesive. Good luck with the repair.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to repairsuniverse For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2012, 08:31 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 16

218 posts
More
What about dust particles and finger prints ? is it true that there is no air in between digitizer and lcd ?
22nd June 2012, 11:56 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

624 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider0001

What about dust particles and finger prints ? is it true that there is no air in between digitizer and lcd ?

You use adhesive strips between the LCD and the digitizer. This stops dust getting in.
23rd June 2012, 04:56 PM   |  #7  
Flag Tây Ninh Việt Nam
Thanks Meter: 33

48 posts
This guide is less useful
Absolutely necessary
Thank you
9th July 2012, 01:10 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
hi,

My LCD is not broken, only the glass... but I'm afraid to separate the glass of the LCD.

I read so many message that said they broke the LCD.

should it be difficult to separate when the glass is "hot" ?

Thank you

Phil
11th July 2012, 09:16 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

2 posts
Exclamation I don't think it is possible to separate lcd and glass
after doing some extensive research I finally committed myself to try to separate the lcd and the broken glass
the result: I ripped the lcd's layers apart, just as the experienced service guy did here too at 26:53
youtu.be/H5TRf0REyMM

I believe it is not possible to separate the factory assembled (broken) digitizer glass from the LCD screen
the topmost layer of the LCD is glued so heavily to the glass, that even if you heat it very carefully the other layers will separate sooner (thus breaking the black tape holding together the lcd layers) then the lcd would separate from the glass

I was able to find only one video on YouTube which shows a successful separation of the lcd and the glass:
youtu.be/aknwDBR0IIA

but!
imho this is not a factory assembled unit or at least the sticker tape holding together the glass and the screen is different on my unit, it doesn't have anything like the white tapes seen at 6:52 on the glass

the only reason why you can buy separate touch digitizer glass at all, is to glue it together with a brand new lcd, but there is no way to recover your lcd from a phone, however unharmed it is
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halcy0n For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th July 2012, 07:34 PM   |  #10  
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 452

661 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcy0n

after doing some extensive research I finally committed myself to try to separate the lcd and the broken glass
the result: I ripped the lcd's layers apart, just as the experienced service guy did here too at 26:53
youtu.be/H5TRf0REyMM

I believe it is not possible to separate the factory assembled (broken) digitizer glass from the LCD screen
the topmost layer of the LCD is glued so heavily to the glass, that even if you heat it very carefully the other layers will separate sooner (thus breaking the black tape holding together the lcd layers) then the lcd would separate from the glass

I was able to find only one video on YouTube which shows a successful separation of the lcd and the glass:
youtu.be/aknwDBR0IIA

but!
imho this is not a factory assembled unit or at least the sticker tape holding together the glass and the screen is different on my unit, it doesn't have anything like the white tapes seen at 6:52 on the glass

the only reason why you can buy separate touch digitizer glass at all, is to glue it together with a brand new lcd, but there is no way to recover your lcd from a phone, however unharmed it is

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!
i have no more thanks to use. your post was very helpful indeed. i stick my voice to yours, the LCD can't be taken apart from the digitzer. i tried and failed. just like the guy in the video and your case as well.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
htc, one x, repair guide, screen assembly, screen repair
Previous Thread Next Thread