5,604,367 Members 48,951 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REF] Kernel source code repository for AT&T Galaxy S III (I747M)

Tip us?

Tortel1210
Old
(Last edited by Tortel1210; 21st June 2012 at 03:54 PM.) Reason: Its I747M, not T999V - my bad
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 295
Default [REF] Kernel source code repository for AT&T Galaxy S III (I747M)

Hi everyone.

As you all know, Samsung distributes source code as tarballs which isn't the best way to redistribute kernel source code

git is the best modern way to work with Linux Kernel sources, designed by Linus himself in this purpose.

So, cdesai made an organization on Github for that. It contains the kernel source for all the variants that have posted source so far.

https://github.com/sgs3

And yea, that means source code has been released, head on to http://opensource.samsung.com/

Kernel Sources :
https://github.com/sgs3/SGH-I747M_Kernel

Branches :
master :- branch you should use(for developers), will contain fixes and more in the future

If anyone wants to commit any fixes / anything else, let me know, and we can add you to the organization

How to Build :
Get the source:
Code:
git clone git://github.com/sgs3/SGH-I747M_Kernel.git
cd SGH-I747M_Kernel
git checkout master
Tell it to use our config:
Code:
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/path/to/toolchain m2_att_defconfig
Build:
Code:
make CROSS_COMPILE=/path/to/toolchain
or
Code:
make -j `cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "^processor" | wc -l` CROSS_COMPILE=/path/to/toolchain
The compiled kernel is arch/arm/boot/zImage

(Also note: Im posting the source in a much easier to get way, but I dont have AT&T, so I wont be doing builds for you guys)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tortel1210 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

howtomen
Old
Thanks Meter 1220

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortel1210 View Post
Hi everyone.

As you all know, Samsung distributes source code as tarballs which isn't the best way to redistribute kernel source code

git is the best modern way to work with Linux Kernel sources, designed by Linus himself in this purpose.

So, cdesai made an organization on Github for that. It contains the kernel source for all the variants that have posted source so far.

https://github.com/sgs3

And yea, that means source code has been released, head on to http://opensource.samsung.com/

Kernel Sources :
https://github.com/sgs3/SGH-I747M_Kernel

Branches :
master :- branch you should use(for developers), will contain fixes and more in the future

If anyone wants to commit any fixes / anything else, let me know, and we can add you to the organization

How to Build :
Get the source:
Code:
git clone git://github.com/sgs3/SGH-I747M_Kernel.git
cd SGH-I747M_Kernel
git checkout master
Tell it to use our config:
Code:
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/path/to/toolchain m2_att_defconfig
Build:
Code:
make CROSS_COMPILE=/path/to/toolchain
or
Code:
make -j `cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "^processor" | wc -l` CROSS_COMPILE=/path/to/toolchain
The compiled kernel is arch/arm/boot/zImage

(Also note: Im posting the source in a much easier to get way, but I dont have AT&T, so I wont be doing builds for you guys)

This is the incorrect source code.

The one that says i747 is correct i believe. instead of i747m
mainly because it says US.
Check out My Android YouTube Channel!

Quote:
I'll answer any question, just ask nicely.
N5 running whatever i want
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howtomen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bdaman80
Old
Thanks Meter 135
I uploaded the SGH-I747 (The one listed as USA) to git hub last night.

It can be found here : https://github.com/Bdaman80/SGH-I747

Maybe save somebody the time
If I have helped you , please hit "Thanks"

Dont forget to support the EFF - I'm a card carrying member, are You?

Samsung SGS III (SGH-I747) - Currently ROM Jumping
MotoACTV 8Gb - ClearDroid for ACTV
Acer Iconia A500 - ReFlexx
HTC Inspire 4G - Retired
Motorola Atrix2 - Retired
HTC Lexikon - Retired
Samsung Aviator (SCH-R930) - Retired
Infinitec Pocket TV M1 (Never Released) - Bricked
Infinitec Pocket TV M3 - Retired

bdaman-dev.net
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bdaman80 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PeterGuru
Old
Thanks Meter 1138

DONATE TO ME
Default SGH-I747M is Canada ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by howtomen View Post
This is the incorrect source code.

The one that says i747 is correct i believe. instead of i747m
mainly because it says US.
You are right. I just got my Rogers unit, and the model is SGH-I747M.

Fortunately, like all Rogers devices, Wifi hotspot and USB tethering is standard as part of the stock ROM ... and the option to disable LTE for those who don't want to use it, or don't have LTE in their area.

Peter
MODEL: ....Samsung Galaxy Note 3
VERSION: ..SM-N900W8 (Rogers - 32GB)
RECOVERY: .TWRP v2.7.0.0
ANDROID: ..4.4.2
ROM/BUILD: CM11-20140422-NIGHTLY-hlte
KERNEL: ...3.4.0-g972939c
RADIO: ....N900W8VLUCNB7

"Science will eventually answer ALL questions, thus ending religion's wretched grasp on humanity."

kydkupa
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterHTC View Post
You are right. I just got my Rogers unit, and the model is SGH-I747M.

Fortunately, like all Rogers devices, Wifi hotspot and USB tethering is standard as part of the stock ROM ... and the option to disable LTE for those who don't want to use it, or don't have LTE in their area.

Peter
Are you going to be Devin' for the Rodgers unit Peter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

PeterGuru
Old
Thanks Meter 1138

DONATE TO ME
Default Thank you for the vote of confidence, however ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydkupa View Post
Are you going to be Devin' for the Rodgers unit Peter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
Although I am very familiar with both Samsung & HTC devices, after all, my member name is PeterHTC, and I'm quite familiar with flashing ROMs, Kernels, and Radios, etc.; I must admit, with some sheepish embarrassment, that I am not familiar and/or self-educated enough to develop those same items.

Many people on xda over in the HTC realm of things know me as someone who much prefers to help others with their dilemmas. Case in point, several weeks ago I developed a 40-page GUIDE on how to do virtually everything to the ONE XL. Here's the link if anyone's interested:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1678308

I've been giving serious thought to doing the very same thing with the S3. It took me many hours to complete the HTC GUIDE, so I need to be fully committed to the project. I don't have much time left with all the hours I put in to make my company successful, plus a 3-year-old at home (another on the way), and a mother who, unfortunately, suffers from Alzheimers.

We'll see.

Thank you again.

Peter

"Science will eventually answer ALL questions, thus ending religion's wretched grasp on humanity."
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterGuru For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kydkupa
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Although I am very familiar with both Samsung & HTC devices, after all, my member name is PeterHTC, and I'm quite familiar with flashing ROMs, Kernels, and Radios, etc.; I must admit, with some sheepish embarrassment, that I am not familiar and/or self-educated enough to develop those same items.

Many people on xda over in the HTC realm of things know me as someone who much prefers to help others with their dilemmas. Case in point, several weeks ago I developed a 40-page GUIDE on how to do virtually everything to the ONE XL. Here's the link if anyone's interested:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1678308

I've been giving serious thought to doing the very same thing with the S3. It took me many hours to complete the HTC GUIDE, so I need to be fully committed to the project. I don't have much time left with all the hours I put in to make my company successful, plus a 3-year-old at home (another on the way), and a mother who, unfortunately, suffers from Alzheimers.

We'll see.

Thank you again.

Peter
I kinda fell bad for askin now. I remember your thread i had the one x for the past 2 months. I was using our modaco rom for a while so when ou announced that you were switching to your s3 i figured you would be dev'n for it.

PeterGuru
Old
Thanks Meter 1138

DONATE TO ME
Default No problem ...

Quote:
I kinda fell bad for askin now. I remember your thread i had the one x for the past 2 months. I was using our modaco rom for a while so when ou announced that you were switching to your s3 i figured you would be dev'n for it.
Hey, no problem. I've always believed that it's always better to ask than to remain silent. Only when you ask questions can you get answers.

You know, I was very loyal to HTC for years until 2011. Then I tried a few other OEMs and realized that Samsung also makes great phones. In all honesty, the S3 is the very best phone I've ever had (and I had the ONE X International, and still have the ONE X Rogers).

Peter

kydkupa
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Hey, no problem. I've always believed that it's always better to ask than to remain silent. Only when you ask questions can you get answers.

You know, I was very loyal to HTC for years until 2011. Then I tried a few other OEMs and realized that Samsung also makes great phones. In all honesty, the S3 is the very best phone I've ever had (and I had the ONE X International, and still have the ONE X Rogers).

Peter
Im having issues with my S3 because i tired to flash a rom i shouldn't have. Do you think if i flash the Rogers rom or boot img i will be able to 4g again because when i call att they say my phone shows up as non att device and i cant get hspa+ or lte.

ps. Seeing as how we did that for the one x. And this way we can have the radio toggle as well.

PeterGuru
Old
(Last edited by PeterGuru; 27th June 2012 at 09:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1138

DONATE TO ME
Default I would not flash a Rogers ROM because ...

Quote:
Im having issues with my S3 because i tired to flash a rom i shouldn't have. Do you think if i flash the Rogers rom or boot img i will be able to 4g again because when i call att they say my phone shows up as non att device and i cant get hspa+ or lte.

ps. Seeing as how we did that for the one x. And this way we can have the radio toggle as well.
Had I not owned an HTC ONE X, I would have thought the same as you ... simply flash the Rogers ROM.

However, don't do it. Actually, even if you tried to do it, it probably would not be successful. Do you remember the CID issue? I don't know if Samsung is the same, but if you try and flash a Rogers ROM on a non-Rogers device, and vice versa, the installation will detect that it's not the correct device, and abort.

If Samsung is the same as HTC in this regard, it may be a simple as changing the device CID to a generic code, or to the Rogers code. However, perhaps Samsung doesn't use CID numbers at all. I can't say for sure.

Peter

Addendum: Try to find an actual AT&T ROM and flash/install it. That's what I would do ... for now.

Addendum 2: Try this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1727443