[Q] Help with Blob tools?

Tip us?

nirajpant7
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] Help with Blob tools?

I'm confused on how to extract blob files using blob tools. I am running Windows XP and 7 and this is my first port
If anyone could guide me through the steps with appropriate commands in command prompt, that would be great.
Device: Samsung Captivate
ROM: Helly Bean w/ RemICS UX
Kernel: Stock Kernel
Other Devices: Motorola Droid A855, Huawei Ideos, Samsung Galaxy Exhibit II 4G (CM9), Samsung Infuse 4G, Asus Transformer TF101 (ARHD 4.0.4), Samsung Nexus S
If you found my post useful, please hit thanks!
Tech News/How-To Videos: www.youtube.com/thegizmosultan
Tech Blog: www.gizmosultan.wordpress.com

Thing O Doom
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 717

DONATE TO ME
Blob tools is nice and simple to use
To extract a blob:
1. Download the ROM.zip or other multiple partition blob file and extract the file called 'blob' (Or 'recoveryblob' or whatever..) out of it.
2. Place the 'blob' in the same folder as 'blobunpack.exe' (You can rename it if you have multiple blobs and need to distinguish them)
3. Open up cmd.
Code:
cd C:\directory\of\blob
blobunpack blob (Or the name of the blob, no extension required)
Let it do it's thing for a moment...
exit
5. You will now have many blobs with different file extensions, each of these file extensions is a different partition of the TF.

EBT is the bootloader
SOS is the recovery
APP is the os, and etc...
Good luck.
Is a B3ast?
NvFlash for B70+ Devices - Windows/Linux
PERI: A one-click Root and Recovery installer for .27 or less -- by me
The General ASUS Transformer tf101 Help Thread -- Ask Here

Device -- Asus Transformer TF101
Currently crack flashing...
KAT Kernel
Device -- Nexus 7
ReVOLT with TWRP
Franco kernel
--
If you need my help in a topic I have replied too but forgotten about, please quote my post and I will see it. Thanks for patience, I'm very busy c:
The Following User Says Thank You to Thing O Doom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gee one
Old
Thanks Meter 544
I can't speak for Windows, but in linux, it's pretty easy. The commands would be

blobunpack <insert blob here>

you'll get some or a bunch of files like blob.APP, blob.LNX, blob.SOS, blob.EBT. It depends on what is packed in the blob. A proper blob will start with MSM RADIO UPDATE or something like that. If not, it's not a packed blob, but probably just blob parts.

EBT is the bootloader.
APP is an ext4 filesystem that you can loop mount in linux. Don't ask about windows.
SOS and LNX are boot images/Android! magic files that you can unpack wiht the boot tools (bootunpack). Rebound has a thread in the dev section about making an insecure boot image- it sounds unrelated, but it has all the information about boot.img's.

As far as getting the tools, I think there might be some windows binaries floating around, but again, I can't speak from experience. If you have linux, you can just compile them from source and go to town. Grab the boot tools while you are at it and save yourself some time.
HTC Dream
HTC Vision
ASUS Transformer

If you found this post helpful, please consider a donation to charity:
World Vision
International Red Cross
Wikipedia
International Justice Mission
or pick your own
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gee one For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]