OP jdbeitz

23rd June 2012, 04:14 PM   |  #21  
Boca Raton
Thanks Meter: 157

918 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tian105

so battery life is wayy better on the exynos...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

I can't speak about the Exynos, but Yesterday I was on the phone for an hour and I only went down about 6%. That's a marked improvement over my SGSII running CM9
23rd June 2012, 04:25 PM   |  #22  
Flag San Antonio
Thanks Meter: 19

63 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tian105

so battery life is wayy better on the exynos...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

I think you need to wait a week before making judgement calls like this.

#1 - From all of the screenshots I've seen, it's cellular standby which is chewing the most power. I'm sure someone will get to the bottom of this.
#2 - These phones are all probably on their first battery cycle. I know mine was. In a week, we should have a better idea of what's going on.
The Following User Says Thank You to ormandj For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd June 2012, 04:26 PM   |  #23  
Boca Raton
Thanks Meter: 157

918 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormandj

I think you need to wait a week before making judgement calls like this.

#1 - From all of the screenshots I've seen, it's cellular standby which is chewing the most power. I'm sure someone will get to the bottom of this.
#2 - These phones are all probably on their first battery cycle. I know mine was. In a week, we should have a better idea of what's going on.

There really isn't a science to the "Battery Cycle" or breakin period. Really it's "New Device Syndrome," you have a new device, you use it more than you normally would. Turning the screen on to check something, everything. As you get used to the device you settle into your normal usage pattern (not a device usage pattern) and you get your optimal battery life.
23rd June 2012, 05:20 PM   |  #24  
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 6

25 posts
More
I'd say the battery is pretty decent. Of course if you run the camera or cpu intensive apps and light up the screen on max, it'll drain faster. Yesterday after a full charge and a full day at work I had about 60% (8 AM to 6PM). Keep in mind that I just got the phone and kept turning it on aimlessly to look for apps and play around with different social apps and the browser.
23rd June 2012, 11:32 PM   |  #25  
OP Senior Member
Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 503

1,096 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhommert

this.

op said he just ran on hspa+ so there must be a simple way to do it

Just make a new apn for just hspa+ . That's what I did anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium
24th June 2012, 02:19 AM   |  #26  
Flag San Antonio

63 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturefreak85

There really isn't a science to the "Battery Cycle" or breakin period. Really it's "New Device Syndrome," you have a new device, you use it more than you normally would. Turning the screen on to check something, everything. As you get used to the device you settle into your normal usage pattern (not a device usage pattern) and you get your optimal battery life.

There is no doubt that's a large portion of the change/difference in battery life, but with most battery technology (lithium ion, lithium polymer, etc) there is something to be gained from completing a learning cycle or two to get realistic discharge/charge boundries, so that your percentage accurately reflects the actual battery state.

Here's today's battery capture. I've disabled power saving for cpu/gpu, the other two options are on, screen is set to auto. I used the screen about an hour today, but drove ~2 hours with Slacker Radio playing and streaming via BT. GPS is on, BT is on, WiFi is on. There's about 4 hours of not being in WiFi coverage reflected by this.

24th June 2012, 02:38 AM   |  #27  
Flag NYC metro
Thanks Meter: 107

739 posts
More
I did a 2.5 hour trip with wifi (there's a lot of wifi from my cable company around here), blue tooth connected playing music, SVoice to control the phone, and Google gps navigation running, 20% of the battery, I didn't have the screen on all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
24th June 2012, 03:29 AM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 329

1,957 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormandj

There is no doubt that's a large portion of the change/difference in battery life, but with most battery technology (lithium ion, lithium polymer, etc) there is something to be gained from completing a learning cycle or two to get realistic discharge/charge boundries, so that your percentage accurately reflects the actual battery state.

Here's today's battery capture. I've disabled power saving for cpu/gpu, the other two options are on, screen is set to auto. I used the screen about an hour today, but drove ~2 hours with Slacker Radio playing and streaming via BT. GPS is on, BT is on, WiFi is on. There's about 4 hours of not being in WiFi coverage reflected by this.

Looks like the cell standby bug is present on the AT&T version. That sucks. Cell standby should generally take up less than 10% battery. See attached.

-Sent from a GSM Galaxy Nexus (RAScream+Trinity).-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1340504961190.jpg
Views:	1351
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1151468  
24th June 2012, 03:44 AM   |  #29  
Thanks Meter: 1,767

4,812 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbeitz

Just curious to see what everyones battery usage is like. I'll post mine tonight after my battery drains down

nevermind

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbeitz

Just make a new apn for just hspa+ . That's what I did anyway.

now this seems interesting , care to share your new apn settings ?

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrikenn

Looks like the cell standby bug is present on the AT&T version. That sucks. Cell standby should generally take up less than 10% battery. See attached.

-Sent from a GSM Galaxy Nexus (RAScream+Trinity).-

my cell standby is only 11% so no bug
Last edited by drawde40599; 24th June 2012 at 03:42 AM.
24th June 2012, 03:55 AM   |  #30  
Flag San Antonio

63 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drawde40599

nevermind

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

now this seems interesting , care to share your new apn settings ?

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

my cell standby is only 11% so no bug

Are you in an LTE area? I have LTE everywhere I go. Just because you don't have an issue with your phone doesn't mean there isn't a problem that affects others. I'm not intentionally making cellular standby 30% of my usage (or more), I assure you. If you're not in an LTE area, maybe that accounts for it - if you are in an LTE area, then something is odd.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread