Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,834 Members 50,134 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kick in a few $$ to kickstart more dev?

Tip us?
 
lorddart
Old
#21  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 74
Posts: 1,064
Join Date: Aug 2010
Just a quick question we had a dev that didn't have a device that actually made a rom or two for our phone. I want to say it was rms. I could be wrong but did they ever get a device? And yeah I definitely agree that I'm much more likely to help out if I see the dev themselves show interest in the device. And afaik the stuff preventing us from moving forward isn't a shortage on dev work as much as it is HTC's end

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to lorddart For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
shekki
Old
#22  
shekki's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 365
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tacoma

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorddart View Post
Just a quick question we had a dev that didn't have a device that actually made a rom or two for our phone. I want to say it was rms. I could be wrong but did they ever get a device? And yeah I definitely agree that I'm much more likely to help out if I see the dev themselves show interest in the device. And afaik the stuff preventing us from moving forward isn't a shortage on dev work as much as it is HTC's end

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA
RMS doesn't have a phone to test ROMs on, which I would imagine would make it a bit more difficult to fix bugs because the developer could only go off what other people say. Getting the device in more developer's hands allows us to have more developers who can bypass the things that are holding us back on ROMs. Right now we don't have much because we don't have developers who can write "wrappers" that allow us to get things certain things working without having the full source code available. This was how the mytouch 4G got pretty stable ICS ROMs up and running. So I say the more experienced developers we have, the better off we are.
Let our voices be heard! HTC has released the full kernel source code for devices that have been updated to ICS; however the HTC Amaze 4G has ICS and still yet to receive the source. HTC must learn to support devices that they have released! We must contact HTC about this matter anyway possible! Tweet @htc and @htcdev with #ForTheCustomer about this and also contact them through htcdev.com. Eventually HTC will hear our voices and follow through with our demands. For More information click here!
 
sportsstar89
Old
#23  
sportsstar89's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,356
Posts: 3,105
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekki View Post
RMS doesn't have a phone to test ROMs on, which I would imagine would make it a bit more difficult to fix bugs because the developer could only go off what other people say. Getting the device in more developer's hands allows us to have more developers who can bypass the things that are holding us back on ROMs. Right now we don't have much because we don't have developers who can write "wrappers" that allow us to get things certain things working without having the full source code available. This was how the mytouch 4G got pretty stable ICS ROMs up and running. So I say the more experienced developers we have, the better off we are.
I'm sorry but we don't need wrappers when we have an ics rom. The only time you need wrappers is when android would change the way it does things and you would need the new call to communicate with the old driver or lib
Devices: Amaze 4g
roms: CyanogenMod 10
Bootloader: Amaze 4G (S-off)
Recovery: 4EXT
I Have ORD
You don't have Dropbox? Sign up here for free
Like my work? Buy Me A Drink(Link above profile pic )
Follow me on Twitter
 
shekki
Old
#24  
shekki's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 365
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tacoma

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsstar89 View Post
I'm sorry but we don't need wrappers when we have an ics rom. The only time you need wrappers is when android would change the way it does things and you would need the new call to communicate with the old driver or lib
I thought that Google changed the way android called on drivers and such which is why I said that about wrappers, but I guess we don't need wrappers if we have an official ROM from HTC. The reason we had wrappers for the mytouch 4G was cause we didn't have an official ics ROM for it.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
Let our voices be heard! HTC has released the full kernel source code for devices that have been updated to ICS; however the HTC Amaze 4G has ICS and still yet to receive the source. HTC must learn to support devices that they have released! We must contact HTC about this matter anyway possible! Tweet @htc and @htcdev with #ForTheCustomer about this and also contact them through htcdev.com. Eventually HTC will hear our voices and follow through with our demands. For More information click here!
 
sportsstar89
Old
#25  
sportsstar89's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,356
Posts: 3,105
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekki View Post
I thought that Google changed the way android called on drivers and such which is why I said that about wrappers, but I guess we don't need wrappers if we have an official ROM from HTC. The reason we had wrappers for the mytouch 4G was cause we didn't have an official ics ROM for it.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
Yep that's what there used for such on the hd2 because google changed the way the camera was called so we had to write a wrapper for it
Devices: Amaze 4g
roms: CyanogenMod 10
Bootloader: Amaze 4G (S-off)
Recovery: 4EXT
I Have ORD
You don't have Dropbox? Sign up here for free
Like my work? Buy Me A Drink(Link above profile pic )
Follow me on Twitter
 
eggydrums
Old
#26  
eggydrums's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 291
Posts: 1,878
Join Date: Dec 2010
I agree this should be done. I still have hope for the amaze, the inspire dev is booming... But It wasn't until a year of its release that it became like that


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
lorddart
Old
#27  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 74
Posts: 1,064
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekki View Post
RMS doesn't have a phone to test ROMs on, which I would imagine would make it a bit more difficult to fix bugs because the developer could only go off what other people say. Getting the device in more developer's hands allows us to have more developers who can bypass the things that are holding us back on ROMs. Right now we don't have much because we don't have developers who can write "wrappers" that allow us to get things certain things working without having the full source code available. This was how the mytouch 4G got pretty stable ICS ROMs up and running. So I say the more experienced developers we have, the better off we are.
I have a feeling you missed my point. I was simply saying that I personally believe the priority dev for an amaze donation effort would be someone like R-M-S seeing as he is interested and putting in the time and effort despite not having the device.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA
 
shekki
Old
#28  
shekki's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 365
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tacoma

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorddart View Post
I have a feeling you missed my point. I was simply saying that I personally believe the priority dev for an amaze donation effort would be someone like R-M-S seeing as he is interested and putting in the time and effort despite not having the device.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA
I do apologize for missing your point. Maybe we could get the device into RMS's hands as well seeing has he is already contributing to our device without owning one?
Let our voices be heard! HTC has released the full kernel source code for devices that have been updated to ICS; however the HTC Amaze 4G has ICS and still yet to receive the source. HTC must learn to support devices that they have released! We must contact HTC about this matter anyway possible! Tweet @htc and @htcdev with #ForTheCustomer about this and also contact them through htcdev.com. Eventually HTC will hear our voices and follow through with our demands. For More information click here!
The Following User Says Thank You to shekki For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
EclipzeRemix
Old
#29  
EclipzeRemix's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,719
Posts: 3,159
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekki View Post
I do apologize for missing your point. Maybe we could get the device into RMS's hands as well seeing has he is already contributing to our device without owning one?
At the same time RMS hasn't done a revolutionary project that we know of, he does .....


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD





Previous Devices
 
Samsung Galaxy S3
HTC One S
Galaxy Nexus
HTC Amaze
iPhone 4
iPhone 3GS

MyTouch 4G
Mytouch 3G
HTC Dream
Moto V3



 
rbaruch
Old
#30  
rbaruch's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 132
Posts: 463
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipzeRemix View Post
At the same time RMS hasn't done a revolutionary project that we know of, he does .....


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
As much as I love more contributers, I think we have enough "themed" stock roms, and we need some groundbreaking developers for AOSP/MIUI. Honestly I'm so happy to see that the device is picking up the pace and we have people helping us pester HTC for the WIFI drivers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes