Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Kick in a few $$ to kickstart more dev?

OP rwb2073

24th June 2012, 07:01 PM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 74

1,065 posts
Just a quick question we had a dev that didn't have a device that actually made a rom or two for our phone. I want to say it was rms. I could be wrong but did they ever get a device? And yeah I definitely agree that I'm much more likely to help out if I see the dev themselves show interest in the device. And afaik the stuff preventing us from moving forward isn't a shortage on dev work as much as it is HTC's end

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to lorddart For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th June 2012, 10:15 PM   |  #22  
Flag Tacoma
Thanks Meter: 35

365 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorddart

Just a quick question we had a dev that didn't have a device that actually made a rom or two for our phone. I want to say it was rms. I could be wrong but did they ever get a device? And yeah I definitely agree that I'm much more likely to help out if I see the dev themselves show interest in the device. And afaik the stuff preventing us from moving forward isn't a shortage on dev work as much as it is HTC's end

RMS doesn't have a phone to test ROMs on, which I would imagine would make it a bit more difficult to fix bugs because the developer could only go off what other people say. Getting the device in more developer's hands allows us to have more developers who can bypass the things that are holding us back on ROMs. Right now we don't have much because we don't have developers who can write "wrappers" that allow us to get things certain things working without having the full source code available. This was how the mytouch 4G got pretty stable ICS ROMs up and running. So I say the more experienced developers we have, the better off we are.
25th June 2012, 01:07 AM   |  #23  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,546

3,136 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekki

RMS doesn't have a phone to test ROMs on, which I would imagine would make it a bit more difficult to fix bugs because the developer could only go off what other people say. Getting the device in more developer's hands allows us to have more developers who can bypass the things that are holding us back on ROMs. Right now we don't have much because we don't have developers who can write "wrappers" that allow us to get things certain things working without having the full source code available. This was how the mytouch 4G got pretty stable ICS ROMs up and running. So I say the more experienced developers we have, the better off we are.

I'm sorry but we don't need wrappers when we have an ics rom. The only time you need wrappers is when android would change the way it does things and you would need the new call to communicate with the old driver or lib
25th June 2012, 01:19 AM   |  #24  
Flag Tacoma

365 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsstar89

I'm sorry but we don't need wrappers when we have an ics rom. The only time you need wrappers is when android would change the way it does things and you would need the new call to communicate with the old driver or lib

I thought that Google changed the way android called on drivers and such which is why I said that about wrappers, but I guess we don't need wrappers if we have an official ROM from HTC. The reason we had wrappers for the mytouch 4G was cause we didn't have an official ics ROM for it.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
25th June 2012, 02:05 AM   |  #25  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,546

3,136 posts
Quote:

I thought that Google changed the way android called on drivers and such which is why I said that about wrappers, but I guess we don't need wrappers if we have an official ROM from HTC. The reason we had wrappers for the mytouch 4G was cause we didn't have an official ics ROM for it.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

Yep that's what there used for such on the hd2 because google changed the way the camera was called so we had to write a wrapper for it
25th June 2012, 04:28 AM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 291

1,879 posts
More
I agree this should be done. I still have hope for the amaze, the inspire dev is booming... But It wasn't until a year of its release that it became like that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
25th June 2012, 06:49 AM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 74

1,065 posts
Quote:

I have a feeling you missed my point. I was simply saying that I personally believe the priority dev for an amaze donation effort would be someone like R-M-S seeing as he is interested and putting in the time and effort despite not having the device.

25th June 2012, 07:00 AM   |  #28  
Flag Tacoma

365 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorddart

I have a feeling you missed my point. I was simply saying that I personally believe the priority dev for an amaze donation effort would be someone like R-M-S seeing as he is interested and putting in the time and effort despite not having the device.

I do apologize for missing your point. Maybe we could get the device into RMS's hands as well seeing has he is already contributing to our device without owning one?
The Following User Says Thank You to shekki For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2012, 08:16 PM   |  #29  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 5,729

3,164 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I do apologize for missing your point. Maybe we could get the device into RMS's hands as well seeing has he is already contributing to our device without owning one?

At the same time RMS hasn't done a revolutionary project that we know of, he does .....

25th June 2012, 10:43 PM   |  #30  
Thanks Meter: 132

463 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipzeRemix

At the same time RMS hasn't done a revolutionary project that we know of, he does .....

As much as I love more contributers, I think we have enough "themed" stock roms, and we need some groundbreaking developers for AOSP/MIUI. Honestly I'm so happy to see that the device is picking up the pace and we have people helping us pester HTC for the WIFI drivers

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread