Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,912 Members 40,898 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy SIII Flashed 2 Boost Mobile

Tip us?

J_apa_n
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigpeen View Post
I have a sprint gs3 donor phone info from ebay and all the programs i just dont whats the easiest way to do this. Ive looked through the forums but my dyslexia makes it hard. any help at all would be appreciated thank you

check your original post, i gave you the keys to the city

rigel1326
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Default Re: Galaxy SIII Flashed 2 Boost Mobile

My sgs3 is now running on boost with working voice and mms but real spotty 3g where it was pretty good on my sgs2. My question is on the sgs3 or in qxdm is there a way to view your current ha and aaa secret codes strings?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Carfanatic
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigel1326 View Post
My sgs3 is now running on boost with working voice and mms but real spotty 3g where it was pretty good on my sgs2. My question is on the sgs3 or in qxdm is there a way to view your current ha and aaa secret codes strings?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
I have found no way to read the current HA or AAA from the SIII everything read fine from the SII or the donors I use but its blank on the SIII.
The Following User Says Thank You to Carfanatic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mad_Technologist
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Question Can I flash custom ROM when flashed to Boost Mobile

Hello everyone,

As I'm sure everyone is aware, I am a noob on this forum and still in between a novice and intermediate at flashing custom ROMs onto my phone. That being said, I currently have a Sprint SIII that has been flashed to Boost Mobile. Why I switched is irrelevant, so, my main question and concern is if I flash a new ROM on my phone, will I loose my service with Boost? I have searched around and found some similar problems or issues of some ideas of what one can do if there were issues after flashing, but nothing that clearly answers my specific question. I used the search function in a few places around the site, and not just in the SIII forum, but if I overlooked something that does answer my question I apologize. At any rate, I hate being on the stock ROM because I feel so limited, even when rooted. The ROM I want to use is an AOSP ROM that I used before I flashed my phone. It worked very well and I really liked it. This was even after I bricked my phone by flashing an international version of a ROM onto it (total noob mistake) and had to get someone to use a JTAG on it. By the way, if anyone needs to unbrick their phone and the usual methods don't work, let me know and I'll post the info of where to find the guy that fixed mine for $35. If that's not allowed in the forum, I can definitely send a PM. So, to finish this book and sum it up again, if I flash the custom ROM on my phone again, will I loose my Boost Mobile service? If so, can someone tell me or at least point me in the direction of where to look to fix whatever problems I might have? I haven't done the flashing yet because I am not looking forward to without phone service again. I just went about a week without service after I bricked my phone. Lastly, if it matters I did not do the switch to Boost myself, so if I need to record my MSL code or something like that, that I heard mentioned on the other places I looked, I currently don't know how to find that. But I am capable of rooting my phone and installing apps that can supply that info. Thanks in advance!

Carfanatic
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Technologist View Post
Hello everyone,

As I'm sure everyone is aware, I am a noob on this forum and still in between a novice and intermediate at flashing custom ROMs onto my phone. That being said, I currently have a Sprint SIII that has been flashed to Boost Mobile. Why I switched is irrelevant, so, my main question and concern is if I flash a new ROM on my phone, will I loose my service with Boost? I have searched around and found some similar problems or issues of some ideas of what one can do if there were issues after flashing, but nothing that clearly answers my specific question. I used the search function in a few places around the site, and not just in the SIII forum, but if I overlooked something that does answer my question I apologize. At any rate, I hate being on the stock ROM because I feel so limited, even when rooted. The ROM I want to use is an AOSP ROM that I used before I flashed my phone. It worked very well and I really liked it. This was even after I bricked my phone by flashing an international version of a ROM onto it (total noob mistake) and had to get someone to use a JTAG on it. By the way, if anyone needs to unbrick their phone and the usual methods don't work, let me know and I'll post the info of where to find the guy that fixed mine for $35. If that's not allowed in the forum, I can definitely send a PM. So, to finish this book and sum it up again, if I flash the custom ROM on my phone again, will I loose my Boost Mobile service? If so, can someone tell me or at least point me in the direction of where to look to fix whatever problems I might have? I haven't done the flashing yet because I am not looking forward to without phone service again. I just went about a week without service after I bricked my phone. Lastly, if it matters I did not do the switch to Boost myself, so if I need to record my MSL code or something like that, that I heard mentioned on the other places I looked, I currently don't know how to find that. But I am capable of rooting my phone and installing apps that can supply that info. Thanks in advance!
You won't lose phone service flashing to another rom though you could lose MMS, and voice mail if you have those currently working. If you know how to use Recovery tools then you should be able to fix that after flashing to another rom though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Carfanatic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mad_Technologist
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfanatic View Post
You won't lose phone service flashing to another rom though you could lose MMS, and voice mail if you have those currently working. If you know how to use Recovery tools then you should be able to fix that after flashing to another rom though.
Thank you very much. So I will be using TWRP recovery, what do I have to backup first before I flash my ROM? Do I have to do a Nandroid backup or something, or is there some specific data that I should find and backup. Furthermore, if it helps, I have Titanium Backup as well as ROM Toolbox, PRO version of each. Would either 1 of them be helpful?

Carfanatic
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Technologist View Post
Thank you very much. So I will be using TWRP recovery, what do I have to backup first before I flash my ROM? Do I have to do a Nandroid backup or something, or is there some specific data that I should find and backup. Furthermore, if it helps, I have Titanium Backup as well as ROM Toolbox, PRO version of each. Would either 1 of them be helpful?
Your best off just doing Nandroid backup and not using Titanium or other such programs for backup. You can sometimes flash to a new rom and then restore data or programs using Titanium and then cause bugs or problems with your new rom. You only use Nandroid backup if your flash to a new rom really goes wrong and then you can use it to restore to a stable working version of whatever you had on your phone previously. As long as you keep the original Nandroid of your stable working system then you can try flashing to a new rom and then advanced restore Data to try to get all your programs and settings back that way but again just like Titanium backup you could cause instabilities or problems with your new rom but same chance that everything could be fine and you get a new rom with all your old apps and settings If something doesn't work you can always go back and restore everything back and try a new rom flash and then know not to restore data.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carfanatic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mad_Technologist
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfanatic View Post
Your best off just doing Nandroid backup and not using Titanium or other such programs for backup. You can sometimes flash to a new rom and then restore data or programs using Titanium and then cause bugs or problems with your new rom. You only use Nandroid backup if your flash to a new rom really goes wrong and then you can use it to restore to a stable working version of whatever you had on your phone previously. As long as you keep the original Nandroid of your stable working system then you can try flashing to a new rom and then advanced restore Data to try to get all your programs and settings back that way but again just like Titanium backup you could cause instabilities or problems with your new rom but same chance that everything could be fine and you get a new rom with all your old apps and settings If something doesn't work you can always go back and restore everything back and try a new rom flash and then know not to restore data.
Thanks again. I will definitely try that. I've never done an advanced restore on a Nandroid backup, but really I've made them and never had to use one before, so this will be something new to try. From your responses you sound like someone who's been around the block a few times and knows what he's doing. I really appreciate all the help.

krwshl
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I am being prompted to update the system all of a sudden ... if I do this will it affect my phone flash that makes it look like a touch pro 2?

Carfanatic
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by krwshl View Post
I am being prompted to update the system all of a sudden ... if I do this will it affect my phone flash that makes it look like a touch pro 2?
If you are on a stock kernel then you would be able to update, if you are on a different Rom/kernel than stock then the update would fail you could accept it and nothing would change. If you are rooted on a stock kernel and rom with MMS and voice mail working and you accept the update you could lose root, MMS and voice mail.

For more details on what is in the update I would find a thread that is related to the update not this thread I myself have not kept up with the updates I always run Blazer roms and then edit my build prop if needed to get rid of the update notifications.